Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

So I ask you again. Are you happy with the performance of the board and executive?

Is Hawthorn in 2021 in a stronger position, relative to the rest of the competition, in any category relative to 2017?

Yep, thought so

What does stronger mean?
How do you measure that?

Most kpi's probably have regressed I imagine but show me a club that hasnt gone backwards in key areas this last 2 years.

I think you have to measure the club against their stated objectives at the end of next year.
But there also needs to be some consideration of covid over 2 years and potentially a 3rd next year.

So he'll be gone by 2023 I can deal with that. He made a mess of this current situation but surely there is nothing he could do in the next 2 years of his contract that could top this current period.

He can do a great deal of destruction with the Tasmanian sponsorship up for renewal.

This period of time is the most important since the merger which Jeff (obviously) supported.

What does stronger mean?
How do you measure that?

Most kpi's probably have regressed I imagine but show me a club that hasnt gone backwards in key areas this last 2 years.

I think you have to measure the club against their stated objectives at the end of next year.
But there also needs to be some consideration of covid over 2 years and potentially a 3rd next year.

Well let’s look at the objectives.

- on field performance (who is accountable for approving such a far fetched objective)
- financial independence
- Dingley funding (and for that matter greater transparency over development)
- AFLW licence
- Tasmanian government sponsorship renewal
- membership growth (we are 25,000 members lower than the target based on 2020 numbers)
- ‘governance’

Covid can only go so far.

Fact is the club backed the wrong horse in 2019 (ironically siding with Shorten) which destroyed our funding pre Covid, has bombed on on field success, has not growth our membership (in fact our service to members is terrible) and as for ‘governance’ wowee

Well let’s look at the objectives.

- on field performance (who is accountable for approving such a far fetched objective)
- financial independence
- Dingley funding (and for that matter greater transparency over development)
- AFLW licence
- Tasmanian government sponsorship renewal
- membership growth (we are 25,000 members lower than the target based on 2020 numbers)
- ‘governance’

Covid can only go so far.

Fact is the club backed the wrong horse in 2019 (ironically siding with Shorten) which destroyed our funding pre Covid, has bombed on on field success, has not growth our membership (in fact our service to members is terrible) and as for ‘governance’ wowee

The funding is happening. You can lock that in.
We have financial independence, even after Covid almost killing some clubs.
The AFLW license will be awarded by the end of next year.
Tasmania will renew but perhaps for a shorter period.
They were never going to grow membership while we are performing like crap and covid. Can you go to the footy this week?

I think you need to bring some objectivity to the points you are trying to make.

I have never seen such impassioned hatred towards an individual in a less effective outlet...

I mean, I'm not a fan of Kennett either, you don't have to convince me, and I think there's only a few even defending him in this thread, your seemingly boundless energy for a fight no one wants is baffling.

If everyone just agrees that he should go... do you stop screaming into the wind tunnel? This thread won't achieve the outcome you're looking for... channel your energy into mobilising a challenge, or save it up for the AGM etc.

The funding is happening. You can lock that in.
We have financial independence, even after Covid almost killing some clubs.
The AFLW license will be awarded by the end of next year.
Tasmania will renew but perhaps for a shorter period.
They were never going to grow membership while we are performing like crap and covid. Can you go to the footy this week?

I think you need to bring some objectivity to the points you are trying to make.

Is Dingley happening? That’s news to me.

Greater transparency with the development was a key pillar in Jeff’s bid for the presidency in 2017.

Of course back then it was only going to be a one and only term (ironically Jeff’s 3rd and 4th terms are in breach of the limitation statues he brought in after 2006)

Im absolutely enamoured that the Tasmanian sponsorship is going to be renewed, what an incredible arrangement that is with the ‘overwhelming’ support for the club on the map :star:

As for membership almost every club has grown their membership during Covid with innovative packages - North just broke their record (18th) and Carlton just broke 80,000 members FFS.

Reeves can’t even organise the membership scraves to arrive during the season...

Last edited:
SRS question
Do you work for Jeff ?
or are you related to Jeff?
or do you just think its your job to love Jeff on the internet ?
You seem to have an obsession with Jeff :)

Is Dingley happening?
Seriously Hawkk this is a very silly part of your argument.

In the current climate (COVID) it would be the worst thing our club could do.
Money is not rolling in for any sporting club.

Do you really think that we should be pushing on & investing $$mill into Dingley ?

I certainly don’t.

Seriously Hawkk this is a very silly part of your argument.

In the current climate (COVID) it would be the worst thing our club could do.
Money is not rolling in for any sporting club.

Do you really think that we should be pushing on & investing $$mill into Dingley ?

I certainly don’t.

I agree but we haven’t heard anything from President ‘governance’ about the Dingley project for years.

In fact earlier this year President ‘governance’ floated a potential relocation to the map

I agree but we haven’t heard anything from President ‘governance’ about the Dingley project for years.

In fact earlier this year President ‘governance’ floated a potential relocation to the map
So you understand why nothing is happening but still want to know why nothing is happening ?

As I said, it’s a silly argument & you’ve just proved that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listen very closely to what was said yesterday.

If Clarkson coach’s next season Hawthorn are free from paying Clarkson out the 900k.

can you coach next season if you want Al?
“Umm yes I think so” Cmon Al you know very well you can coach next season.

Do you want to coach next season?
“I haven’t given it any real thought” 🤔

Teague currently under review.
Clarko now all of the sudden available.

Clarko has had a big change of heart within a week.

Anyone else smell a rat here?
With apologies for the intrusion. Just visiting, as this whole episode puzzled me.

From the outside, this seems a perceptive post. Clarkson seems to have played your club hierachy off a break. He now walks with a ~$900k payout, and the prospect of jobs at Carlton/Collingwood/North, for starters.

I can't believe he ever (privately) bought into the Kennett transitional coaching idea, any more that Sheeds would have at Essendon.

With apologies for the intrusion. Just visiting, as this whole episode puzzled me.

From the outside, this seems a perceptive post. Clarkson seems to have played your club hierachy off a break. He now walks with a ~$900k payout, and the prospect of jobs at Carlton/Collingwood/North, for starters.

I can't believe he ever (privately) bought into the Kennett transitional coaching idea, any more that Sheeds would have at Essendon.

He knew what he was doing the whole way through.

He knew what he was doing the whole way through.

but it was instigated by Kennett (board)
Should of just said “we aren’t renewing your contract, we will pay out the last season - it’s been good knowing you”

instead he did the whole transition bullshit to try and save a buck and has come off with egg on his face. Clarko gets the last laugh and exits with dignity

but it was instigated by Kennett (board)
Should of just said “we aren’t renewing your contract, we will pay out the last season - it’s been good knowing you”

instead he did the whole transition bullshit to try and save a buck and has come off with egg on his face. Clarko gets the last laugh and exits with dignity

We don't know he did it just to save a buck. And if Clarko had said "This will never work, let me go" then he would have been gone. How do I know he didn't say that? Because he said his commitment to Sam was as strong as his commitment to his own wife. And then Clarko used Caro to keep the fever whipped up.

It turns out he was playing this the whole time? After all that song and dance over the last few years about sending the champions off for peanuts while they still had good football to play (Birchall, anyone? Smith will play a key role in a Grand Final this year almost certainly. Lewis played two more good years at Melbourne). I supported him through all of that. Hard core.

And now he lies to Sam and manipulates the club to get a payout? I find it nearly impossible to believe he did that. But yet here we are.

Maybe a simplistic take but if you argue that Kennett must go please present a viable and feasible alternative.

I have only read the last two pages but could not see any names suggested which may add to the current board.

Maybe a simplistic take but if you argue that Kennett must go please present a viable and feasible alternative.

I have only read the last two pages but could not see any names suggested which may add to the current board.

Sure why not - Chris Langford would be the gold standard and would be a significant promotion on a busted and failed politician.

For starters he was anti merger, has not sort the Melbourne presidency and has not tried to send the club to the map...

So you understand why nothing is happening but still want to know why nothing is happening ?

As I said, it’s a silly argument & you’ve just proved that

Kennett came back to the post promising greater transparency.

Why therefore did it take him almost 48 hours to inform the club members about the Clarkson developments (Thursday 9am to Saturday morning).

Garvey was purged for less incompetence, for starters the compensation to get rid of Tracey Gaudry was far less than Clarkson.

Last edited:
I have never seen such impassioned hatred towards an individual in a less effective outlet...

I mean, I'm not a fan of Kennett either, you don't have to convince me, and I think there's only a few even defending him in this thread, your seemingly boundless energy for a fight no one wants is baffling.

If everyone just agrees that he should go... do you stop screaming into the wind tunnel? This thread won't achieve the outcome you're looking for... channel your energy into mobilising a challenge, or save it up for the AGM etc.

I spent my first 6 years on bigfooty defending Kennett - I have been here almost 20 years!

The jump the shark moment for me was when he walked away from a very generous compensation agreement with the AFL (in 2010) to surrender Tasmania to North.

As it turns out, representing the map is a die in a ditch issue for president Jeff. So much so that in 2014, 2016 and 2021 he has touted potential relocations to the cultural metropolis that is Launceston.

Had we evidently taken the 2010 compensation we would have solidified ourselves as a major MCG tenant prior to the three peat.

Now we celebrate 6 MCG home games a year, are inevitably going to lose Tasmania to the 19th licence and will soon be in a dogfight with Essendon to preserve our MCG games.

What foresight, his legacy at Hawthorn is also following another great institution of the 20th century (the Victorian liberal party)

Last edited:
Kennett came back to the post promising greater transparency.

Why therefore did it take him almost 48 hours to inform the club members about the Clarkson developments (Thursday 9am to Saturday morning).

Garvey was purged for less incompetence, for starters the compensation to get rid of Tracey Gaudry was far less than Clarkson.
What’s any of that got to do with my reply to you ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back