Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for everyone:

What do you think Hogans worth is if he sits out next year or is injured for most of it?

I'm thinking would still fetch a late late first or early second
would be worth about what Freo offered this year

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My comparison is based on a 23-year-old KPF with a form record which stacks up against some of the best players ever to play the game at his age.

What would a 23-year-old Buddy Franklin have been worth in a trade?

There's a serious underrating of Hogan around here.

No one is under rating Hogans skills, he is a gun. But his skills are useless if he can't stay on the park. Back injury, Footy injury, Cancer. That's without factoring any issues he faces because fate has been hard on him in the last few years or the whispers of character issues (not going into those).

Remove those factors and no one would would blink at several top picks as his value, but with those factors it is buyer beware, giving up prized picks and huge salary for someone that turns out to not have a fully productive career is a big sting to any list. Neale by comparison, rarely misses games (2 in the last 2 years from memory), wins the best and fairest multiple times - beats our brownlow medalist as our best because he is always on the park and Fyfe isn't - and that is the Hogan conundrum in working out his trade value, how much time will he actually spend on the field and how much time will be spent watching from the sidelines.

If I was a freo fan and Freo chose not to trade for him I'd be really pissed off, this is a genuine star player on the verge of entering his prime.
Only saw him play one or two games didn’t play that well, stats don’t look amazing, lots of hype though, don’t get him , meh. Already got one overhyped spud in the foward line with issues.

he kicked 47 goals and probably would have kicked 60 if he didnt get injured.

He doesnt need to turn his career around

If you kept reading past my post I posted again saying that I chose my words poorly in that instance. So untie those knickers bud.

If you kept reading past my post I posted again saying that I chose my words poorly in that instance. So untie those knickers bud.
my apoligies then

Looks like Neale is off to Queensland. I just want to let the Lions fans know that you guys are getting a gun, he’s the best small midfielder I’ve seen in my time (25 years) at Freo. He’ll easily be your best player soon (sorry Zorks).

The second best small mid we’ve ever had is Peter Bell. What the f*** is he doing?!?

Short blokes from Korea tend to go nuclear and it looks like he’s pressed the button on half a dozen clubs trade plans... I’d rather Bell go nuclear than the other short Korean bloke but still, f*** me. I am completely terrified of him and he’s only been in the building a week.

I can't see Neale going to Brisbane in this trade and I can't see Hogan going to Freo anymore.

Fremantle are probably considered a place to avoid now.

Fyfe is too old for the next run. The supporters will tie and start to leave with no young forwards giving them hope!!!

Brisbane are not going to be shafted by Freo over Neale? Why would they and why would Neale screw over the club he wants to go to in a trade?

Eventually Neale will get out after his contract expires and Hogan will leave Melbourne as some point, where to is anyones guess.

Wingard was not going to leave SA in his draft year and now he is going to Hawks, anything is possible!!

Hogan can easily take over Kennedy's mantle just prior to retirement and stuff Freo altogether for leading him up the garden path!!

I can't see Neale going to Brisbane in this trade and I can't see Hogan going to Freo anymore.

Fremantle are probably considered a place to avoid now.

Fyfe is too old for the next run. The supporters will tie and start to leave with no young forwards giving them hope!!!

Brisbane are not going to be shafted by Freo over Neale? Why would they and why would Neale screw over the club he wants to go to in a trade?

Eventually Neale will get out after his contract expires and Hogan will leave Melbourne as some point, where to is anyones guess.

Wingard was not going to leave SA in his draft year and now he is going to Hawks, anything is possible!!

Hogan can easily take over Kennedy's mantle just prior to retirement and stuff Freo altogether for leading him up the garden path!!
This is the circuit breaker this thread needed. Wonderful insight...

I think we need to make it clear as Melbourne fans that will want Hogan to stay, he is a rare talent and is yet to peak.

Freo would end up with possibly the best forward in their clubs history (including Pavlich) if they don't pass this up.

It will be a significant loss if he goes, regardless of compensation.

I think we need to make it clear as Melbourne fans that will want Hogan to stay, he is a rare talent and is yet to peak.

Freo would end up with possibly the best forward in their clubs history (including Pavlich) if they don't pass this up.

It will be a significant loss if he goes, regardless of compensation.
I am happy to concede that Hogan may have more forward talent than Pav but...

Hogan is not in the same postcode for determination and professionalism that Pav was from what I have seen. So I doubt he surpasses the great man unless he improves significantly in that area.

And yet, according to Melbourne’s tame journos, Melbourne were prepared to accept an offer just 5 picks ahead of that ridiculous initial offer. Apparently.

If Melbourne keep Hogan, they lose the chance of getting May, which they would prefer.

Incorrect we all want him to stay, maybe were just sick of the "Jessie is going home rumors" every year that the club his giving him a chance to finally make up his mind. There is nothing wrong in that.

I would keep him over recruiting May and most fans would agree.

Looks like Neale is off to Queensland. I just want to let the Lions fans know that you guys are getting a gun, he’s the best small midfielder I’ve seen in my time (25 years) at Freo. He’ll easily be your best player soon (sorry Zorks).

Then tell them to hurry up and get the deal done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting tweet. Jon talking like the trade is still on. But we don't have pick 5 so maybe Hogan to Brisbane?
Like the price you paid initially is related to the price you will receive.

If that was the case we’d be getting a late third rounder for Neale.

Interesting tweet. Jon talking like the trade is still on. But we don't have pick 5 so maybe Hogan to Brisbane?
All this ‘we don’t have pick 5’ - we all know how you get p5.

Every year Melbourne has said they would not entertain trading Hogan. He injures his foot and suddenly that rhetoric is non existent.

Why is it this year at the young age of 23 that they are now happy to even entertain trading him? Why? If he is a once in a generation forward, why is he even on the table? It doesn't make sense. Have they got cap trouble if he stays?

Every year Melbourne has said they would not entertain trading Hogan. He injures his foot and suddenly that rhetoric is non existent.

Why is it this year at the young age of 23 that they are now happy to even entertain trading him? Why? If he is a once in a generation forward, why is he even on the table? It doesn't make sense. Have they got cap trouble if he stays?
Hogan has told the club he isn’t prepared to sign a contract extension beyond next season.

The club believing he could leave next year it would be better for the club to trade him now while under contract to get better compensation. The club has said they want to keep him but has said it is Hogan’s choice who has said he is open to a trade. He hasn’t demanded a trade nor said don’t trade me.

With Tom McDonald and Weideman the club is well covered for key forwards, this wasn’t the case a few years ago when McDonald was playing defence and Weideman very raw, Hogan was our only option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back