News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of it recycles the Ralph article from HUN, first paragraph is the only new info and it says this:

"Willie Rioli will be out of contract at season’s end after his deal was changed in the wake of his provisional drug suspension.
It is understood his management agreed with West Coast late last year to tear up his contract, which he signed last May and would have tied him to the Eagles until the end of 2022.
The 24-year-old premiership forward was instead retained for 2020 on a one-year contract on minimum payments as well as some extra support."

Last edited:

Most of it recycles the Ralph article from HUN, first paragraph is the only new info and it says this:

"Willie Rioli will be out of contract at season’s end after his deal was changed in the wake of his provisional drug suspension.
It is understood his management agreed with West Coast late last year to tear up his contract, which he signed last May and would have tied him to the Eagles until the end of 2022.
The 24-year-old premiership forward was instead retained for 2020 on a one-year contract on minimum payments as well as some extra support."

Worst manager ever

Worst manager ever

West Coast probably had a lot of leverage in this situation. Willie would have been in breach of his contract and the Eagles were probably well within their right to rip up his contract on the spot if they wanted to.

Last edited:
West Coast probably had a lot of leverage in this situation. Willie would have been in breach of his contract and the Eagles were probably well within their right to rip up his contract on the spot if they wanted to.
Makes sense. That isn't really agreeing to though.

The thing is, Rioli smokes pot.
I smoked it back when I was 17 and moved on, if my pay depended on me having to give the stuff up I would do it in an instant knowing my family relied on my income. The story I heard is that he is not just a casual smoker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think Grace's issue with the Tribunal is he's a lawyer and they aren't. He expects reason and precedent and legal interpretation to be paramount - they make their decisions based on none of those things. He'll probably do much better with dealing with a global bureaucracy.
His legal arguments likely go well of the heads of the judgement panel.

He would be better off with something like "Full credit to the ASADA boys, they deserved to catch him. Yeah, nah, he's really sorry. He should get a 12 month suspension which he will sit out just one game at a time. Then it would be triffic if will could get out on the paddock with the boys."

Contract news changes things I reckon.

He’ll end up at Richmond with his cousin - played his last game as an Eagle. Shame.

Bring on Jarrod Cameron. :thumbsu:

I get that it changes things ( he has a different contract, so that's a change), but why Richmond? Purely because of his cousin? Seems a fair stretch, particularly given their small forward situation and age.

We should know what his penalty is before his contract runs out.

My guess is, if Willie gets a 18 month/2 year suspension we will re-contract him. If he gets 3/4 years we won't.

Smart move by the club.

It's a pity though. He was fast becoming my favourite player.
Seriously doubt we will offer him a new contract if her gets 2 years TBH.

I reckon 18 months would be the most.

Love Willie but seriously campaigners.

He ****ed up massively. Let's not lose sight of that .

If he runs off elsewhere because he thinks he should have been retained on full pay, that says more about him than the club. I doubt that is Willie's attitude though and still hope we'll see him back in the wings for us.

The one year contract speaks volumes about WC's intentions.

While we are doing the right thing by Willie in sticking with him this year, the reality is we can't have him taking up a spot on the list for 2 years not playing.

Of course, that doesn't mean we won't look to try re-draft him if after his ban he is eligible to play and keeps himself in good nick.

WC desperately need this sorted out before November so we can make list decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back