News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

What a shame, he worked so hard to get a shot, won a flag and a potentially good career ahead of him. Can't take away that Willie was a part of premiership, but it looks like it's time for the club to just move on. Thanks Willie, enjoy your life on the Tiwi Islands.

should just get rid of him now tear up his contract. We will have more money in the salary cap and 1 more spot on the list for someone else

I'm shattered for him...

And I am going to miss him.

But his actions have really derailed us.

We worked really hard after 2007 to clean up the clubs image and instill a culture we can proud of. Willie just threw that back in our face.

I haven't said it yet, but I will. The impact of the Willie news lost us the SF against GFC, and a chance to have a crack Richmond.

But still keep him around the joint...Dont take pot shots at him...put him in the cone of silence and try to weed out the truth and show him that the grass isnt always greener on the other side.

LEAVE SOME PUNS FOR THE REST OF US YOU DOPE!

Thanks Willie for your awesome 2 years at the club. Especially that goal late in the 1st quarter of the 2018 Grand Final. Without that we dont win the flag.

Shame to see your career end in this way. Just hope you dont throw your life and earnings away with the upcoming ban which will no doubt mean we will never see you pull on an Eagles jumper again :(

Cocaine is a stimulant unlike pot though. And I'd like to know how they can tell if was playing under the influence of it seeing as it stays in your system for 6 weeks.

Pot has anti inflammatory properties etc so they could make some argument Im sure. It is unfortunate the least offensive drug stays in your system the longest but on the eve of finals Willie simply should have known better and posturing about the severity of the drug is really semantics at the end of the day. I just hope he can get back in some capacity. A genuine game changer for us.

This is a joke pot isn't performance enhancing its only on the list from the most dubious of reasons (from the ASADA site). A long suspension for smoking weed would be tragic and unwarranted as its probably the safest of all recreational drugs (alcohol included). Shouldn't even be on the list;

For a substance or method to be prohibited, it must meet two of the following three conditions:
  1. The substance or method has the potential to enhance, or does enhance performance in sport.
  2. The substance or method has the potential to risk the athlete’s health.
  3. WADA has determined that the substance or method violates the spirit of sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We worked really hard after 2007 to clean up the clubs image and instill a culture we can proud of. Willie just threw that back in our face.

I haven't said it yet, but I will. The impact of the Willie news lost us the SF against GFC, and a chance to have a crack Richmond.

Said the exact same thing when the situation was first aired. It was timed perfectly to derail our SF tilt against Geelong, and was the final nail in the coffin for costing us the 2019 season.

Stupid boy. You were a professional football player, a future superstar of the game, you had money and fame, a premiership medal around your neck and a chance to add a second, and you threw it all away for a toke. Deadset d*ckhead.

I don't want the club to coddle him, now that we know he was doing the dirty on us. We've come too far to throw away everything we've rebuilt in the last 10+ years on a pothead who tampers with piss samples.

Seeya, Willie. What a f*cken waste...

Sam Murray (Collingwood) got 18 months for a positive game day test for cocaine so that would be an appropriate precedent for this result

How this impacts the Gatorade substitution is of more significance as it dilutes any claim of leniency on the basis of not being able to produce a sample

Collingwood are delisting Murray though..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

At least it’s just pot. Everyone does it, doesn’t make it less stupid, but not willing to drag him at a personal level for it.

Moving on.
Exactly. Perfectly acceptable for players to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes for WADA but marijuana still has the ignorant social stigma of being a heavy drug. In my mind alcohol is worse than marijuana on society

As he tested positive before he was informed of the first violation, he just gets the more serious of the two punishments (which is definitely the tampering IMO). The only difference this makes is that it opens an argument that undermines his possible defence that the tampering wasn't intentional (even though they weren't testing for that out of competition, he may have thought they were). This is also an example of a drug that they don't test for in the blood tests I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back