News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

As he tested positive before he was informed of the first violation, he just gets the more serious of the two punishments (which is definitely the tampering IMO). The only difference this makes is that it opens an argument that undermines his possible defence that the tampering wasn't intentional (even though they weren't testing for that out of competition, he may have thought they were). This is also an example of a drug that they don't test for in the blood tests I believe.
Would pot show up in a blood test the following day? Since he apparently passed that?

Exactly. Perfectly acceptable for players to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes for WADA but marijuana still has the ignorant social stigma of being a heavy drug. In my mind alcohol is worse than marijuana on society
Anyone thinking its reasonable for a footy player to be rubbed out for months on end as a result of smoking pot has their hand on it.

Just when we though Willie has hit rock bottom, now more news comes out.

This will affect on field performance i feel in 2020

A great talent but obviously not dedicated enough. Not to be flippant, but if he was regularly getting the munchies it would explain his weight issue. WCE career over, what a shame.

Willie really needs to decide if he is a professional athlete or a pothead. And if the club doesn't think he can be the professional athlete then we should cut our losses and delist him.
And I say this with the feeling that weed should definitely not be illegal or a banned substance. I'd rate having an espresso before a game as more likely to enhance your performance than smoking some weed.

Would pot show up in a blood test the following day? Since he apparently passed that?

I don't know anything about when he had any tests, but I've always understood that it lasts way longer in your urine than your bloodstream, and they don't routinely test blood for it anyway. They especially wouldn't have tested for it in this case as it's an out-of-competition sample where he could have as much of it in his system as he liked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when we though Willie has hit rock bottom, now more news comes out.

This will affect on field performance i feel in 2020

Season is still 5 months away. Hopeful that this issue is finalised before season starts and the boys have some certainty and clear air on the situation

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly. Perfectly acceptable for players to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes for WADA but marijuana still has the ignorant social stigma of being a heavy drug. In my mind alcohol is worse than marijuana on society
Also perfectly acceptable to jab players before and during the game to numb pain etc, which is clearly performance enhancing compared to not jabbing them, with potentially serious long term consequences. But hey, smoke a joint on the night before a game and you can be rubbed out. All of that said, he knew the rules so there will be consequences. Hope it isn't the end of his career.

Match day test, different story.

For Billie Rioli to get done match day it just amplifies the issue tenfold. So silly.

If I was in the Eagles Nest and had responsibility for Rioli's playing future I would not be so quick to discard him to the scrap heap. I would be working with him to get him off the dope and on the straight and narrow. Turn his career around and make this a good news story rather than "oh he got caught bye bye"

A result of under 2 years aka 18 months or less would be a good result for us and allow us to do so.

There have been plenty of players with bad reps who have gone on to be champions of the game

There have been players charged with rape (Milne), drug trafficking (Stokes) and all sorts of crap and some of you guys are crucifying Willie for charging a couple J's, Bongs, Buckets or whatever he's onto. * sake!

I'm keeping him

Honest to god, get a grip people. He smoked weed, who hasn't?

None of this is 'bringing back the old days' - he isn't hanging out with bikies, running from booze buses, or using highly addictive, life destroying substances.

Half our list would take harder substances - they just haven't been caught on a match day drug test.

If I was in the Eagles Nest and had responsibility for Rioli's playing future I would not be so quick to discard him to the scrap heap. I would be working with him to get him off the dope and on the straight and narrow. Turn his career around and make this a good news story rather than "oh he got caught bye bye"

A result of under 2 years aka 18 months or less would be a good result for us and allow us to do so.

There have been plenty of players with bad reps who have gone on to be champions of the game

There have been players charged with rape (Milne), drug trafficking (Stokes) and all sorts of crap and some of you guys are crucifying Willie for charging a couple J's, Bongs, Buckets or whatever he's onto. **** sake!

I'm keeping him

Reckon your missing the issue, he did something very stupid by not providing a proper urine sample and then within weeks failed a drugs test. The fans have every right to be pissed off.

Pot has anti inflammatory properties etc so they could make some argument Im sure. It is unfortunate the least offensive drug stays in your system the longest but on the eve of finals Willie simply should have known better and posturing about the severity of the drug is really semantics at the end of the day. I just hope he can get back in some capacity. A genuine game changer for us.

Also calm people who have issue with nerves, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back