Jonathon Ceglar smokey to play finals this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Can a fit and hungry Ceglar force his way into the best 22 with the limited games left in this season,I would't be surprised if he played v Port in a fortnights time giving Stanley a well deserved break and then spell Blits a week latter,all of a sudden the big man cover is looking a lot stronger.
It was also encouraging seeing him playing deep cover down back while not doing the ruck duty on Friday at GMHBA and doing it well off little preparation.

The Office No GIF

2 issues with this:

1. We need to get continuity into him first. He hasn't exactly been able to string games together thus far this year.
2. Who will he replace out of our 22 at the moment, bearing in mind we also need to get Stewart back in, and to a lesser extent Kolo and Parfitt?

2 issues with this:

1. We need to get continuity into him first. He hasn't exactly been able to string games together thus far this year.
2. Who will he replace out of our 22 at the moment, bearing in mind we also need to get Stewart back in, and to a lesser extent Kolo and Parfitt?
Stanley/Ceglar ruck combo with Blits a big mid and Cameron back to the forward line.

Stanley/Ceglar ruck combo with Blits a big mid and Cameron back to the forward line.

Still haven't answered which of the current 22 he'll be replacing.

Only replacement I can see is Stanley himself IF, and that's a capital IF, Ceglar were to put some good games together, and Stanley's fitness or form were to waver significantly.

It's not that simple if Ceglar frees up Blits to play full time mid and Cameron goes full time forward there are a swag of deckchairs to be reshuffle resulting in one going over the side.

That would only happen if we dropped kolo and even then i think its unbalanced i think one ruck plus blitz is a better structure. But i want rhys to finally have competition for his spot so he doesnt get lazy or complacent so ceglar playing well is a good thing let them fight it out for the spot.

Would require Stanley to be injured, so I hope not. It's good that we have the backup, though I'd have preferred us to have hung on to Darcy Fort.

At the least, Ceglar should play one game before the finals to give Stanley a rest (he does get injuries), to see how well he fits into our system and to get him AFL ready should he be needed in the finals.
I could see both of them playing, depending on the opposition. We lack a tall high marking target in the forwards.

Personally, I had Ceglar taking the number one ruck mantle from Stanley in pre-season. Ceglar got injured and after a slow start, and some typical up and down form from Stanley, Staney has worked into some very good form. I have no doubt Ceglar will come in at some point, but at the present time, I think we will only give him a game if a) give Stanley a week ot two rest prior to finals b) Scott might want to trial them both in the same side to get an indication as to how it works.

I don't think we can play them both in the finals; to top heavy unless, depending on the match-ups, we really want to stretch our opponent and take advatange of an opposition teams lack of height.

He just hasn't had the opportunity to build chemistry and gel with our midfield group and Rhys as well.

I think he's purely back-up now - but he's fantastic back-up at that and a good insurance policy that we haven't really had the luxury of previously (except for an average and unproven AFL ruck such as Fort, Abbott, Vardy etc).

Full credit to Stanley, he has frustrated all of us over the years but we'd actually be lost without him. If he can produce in the finals the level he's currently performing at, we're in very good shape.

But it's great to FINALLY have options and some quality depth at our disposal, in a year where we're as good a chance as anyone for the flag!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the least, Ceglar should play one game before the finals to give Stanley a rest (he does get injuries), to see how well he fits into our system and to get him AFL ready should he be needed in the finals.
I could see both of them playing, depending on the opposition. We lack a tall high marking target in the forwards.
Not only Stanley we also need to be creative and find ways to lighten Blits's work load running up to September we don't want either Stanley or Blits getting to the pointy end cooked.

Stanley is having his most consistent season since he’s been with us. Our current ruck set up of Stanley and Blicavs is versatile and unique - it has been a big factor in our winning run. Under no circumstances should we willingly change it IMO.

Given Stanley's erratic track record, I definitely would have liked to have played Ceglar earlier in the season if he'd been available in order to get a sense of whether he was an upgrade in what has been a long-term problem position for us. But I honestly think it's too late in the season to risk our cohesion now given that we're pushing for a flag and Rhys' form is decent enough. Bringing Ceglar would require either tipping Stanley out in favour of someone who hasn't proven he's better, or playing the two of them together, which would be a massive change to our structure. Can't see it happening.

Would prefer to give Conway a game in the AFL…might be too late in the year to do it tho
Conway gonna be out at least a week with concussion IMO stuff after the hit Friday in the VFL.

Was massive.

GO Catters

It's good to see Ceglar back out on the field & hope he can find some continuity across the remainder of the season

But watching how we've set up & the ruck structure we've gone with since Rnd 4, I don't see how we play all of Stanley, Ceglar & Blicavs, alongside Cameron, Hawkins & SDK, without an injury/managed situation where there's then something of a restructure required. But even then, we saw last week (North) that we were able to cover the absence of SDK & Stewart, without reverting to Blicavs playing as a KPD

That being said, I would be surprised if we don't see Ceglar in the seniors at some stage later in the season, and for 2 main reasons:
  • give Stanley a week's rest/the managed treatment
  • and to give him exposure at senior level with the team, should be then be called upon in a worse case scenario. It wouldn't be ideal come finals for Stanley to be unavailable and we're calling upon Ceglar for the first time
But I don't see us playing 2 dedicated rucks in the 22, especially not with how Blicavs has slotted back into the 2nd ruck role, and with the strong performances we're seeing from the Stanley/Blicavs combo

Conway gonna be out at least a week with concussion IMO stuff after the hit Friday in the VFL.

Was massive.

GO Catters

I've just read two articles from our VFL clash, and both list Conway as concussed

So he'll miss next week, the week after is another bye (WTF) and that equates to not seeing him again until August

Stanley definitely has cemented his spot as #1 ruck and deservedly so.

however, we should definitely try and get at least 2 or 3 games into ceglar before the end of the h&a season. get him some time in the team as a contingency if Stanley is injured at some point and we need him in the finals.

I had him as our #1 ruck at the start of the year.

No superstar but as a pure big consistent ruckman, I had no issue saying we were bringing him in expecting him to play.

Stanley (who I hang more shite on than anyone, even Kolo) has been going ok lately and the mix with Blitz is working.

So for mine, It's Stanley's spot to lose, and having a real threat to his spot (Cegs) pushing him to play at his best can only be a good thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back