Jonathon Ceglar smokey to play finals this year

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly can't believe we did it in 2020, took us all the way to a GF, then thought "hey that worked great let's completely stop doing it for 18 months"
Someone had to play on the big forwards I suppose. Not as easy as us experts saying just go and get a key back. I and we should be thankful that SDK has come along at the right time.

Its hard to say because with him being injured we've never had the chance to play him this year so its hard to compare him to stanley in terms of what output you would get.
It makes it hard, but I think it's the type more than anything. Ceglar isn't going to beat the best rucks in a contest and he doesn't provide the run, pressure, and link up play that Rhys and Blitz do. You're losing the whole benefit in my opinion

Someone had to play on the big forwards I suppose. Not as easy as us experts saying just go and get a key back. I and we should be thankful that SDK has come along at the right time.
There have been a few on the table that we could have picked up but in hindsight picking up sdk has been awesome and even Kolo is coming along

Looking at Ceglar's last year, he was a such moneyball pick.

Points per game time of 0.172 compared to an expect of 0.141, would have put him in 8th place for a ruckmen this year.

Which is interesting because its the first year he would have had a greater % of ruck time since mcevoy moved largely to the backline.

I honestly can't believe we did it in 2020, took us all the way to a GF, then thought "hey that worked great let's completely stop doing it for 18 months"
It wasn't the defining factor, though - and since then, we have lost Harry Taylor and Lachie Henderson.

I still maintain that Blicavs' best football came in his second B&F year when he played as a key back.

Gee it sounded like the Rhys and Ceglar team is what they want. Move Cameron out to a flank with a resting ruckman? I got no idea if it would work

Why on earth would you want to change anything from thhe Melb game set up - Stewart for Zach Guthrie and Parfitt for Miers - and thats your best team

Ceglar was a battler at Hawthorn basically - and highly inconsistent according to their supporters

Rhys is playing very well in the ruck - hopefully Ceglar is not required

Why on earth would you want to change anything from thhe Melb game set up - Stewart for Zach Guthrie and Parfitt for Miers - and thats your best team

Ceglar was a battler at Hawthorn basically - and highly inconsistent according to their supporters

Rhys is playing very well in the ruck - hopefully Ceglar is not required

Stewart for O’Connor would be a better option based on form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambition. I like that attitude. Hungry to win finals.

Me too. Never been a fan of the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" attitude. Ceglar is a fine player and if Scott and his MC can see a structural change that makes us better, then so be it.

Could also be a Horses 4 courses option so giving him game time to see if he fits might swing things in his favour...or alternatively use him as a back up.

How long has it been since we have such depth in the ruck??

Me too. Never been a fan of the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" attitude. Ceglar is a fine player and if Scott and his MC can see a structural change that makes us better, then so be it.

Could also be a Horses 4 courses option so giving him game time to see if he fits might swing things in his favour...or alternatively use him as a back up.

How long has it been since we have such depth in the ruck??
Based on what !!!

Go You Catters - another Geel poster watched him in all those VFL games before he got injured - and he said he is no chance whatsoever - he wasnt fit enough - wasnt good enough - or both

But he is suddenly being talked by some - and you were very keen on Jack Steven - and you defended him to the hilt

Based on what !!!

Go You Catters - another Geel poster watched him in all those VFL games before he got injured - and he said he is no chance whatsoever - he wasnt fit enough - wasnt good enough - or both

But he is suddenly being talked by some - and you were very keen on Jack Steven - and you defended him to the hilt
He played one full VFL game at the start of the season. I was unimpressed by it and said so here. He then went down early in the second match he played and only returned to football last weekend.

I think Rhys has been much improved in terms of consistency this year so I hope he holds onto his spot. And I'm certainly not a fan of playing both Stanley and Ceglar in the same team. I would far prefer to maintain an extra runner/versatile option over adding another tall into the 22 each week.

Having said that, if Ceglar shoots the lights out with the Bankers and Rhys hits the wall, it will certainly be an advantage to have the option to go for what would be our best approximation of a straight swap for the ruck role.

For myself, though, I'm still hopeful that the #1 will be our numero uno for the rest of 2022.

Based on what !!!

"All those VFL games"....you mean ONE game...and ONE pundit said he is no chance whatsoever based on ONE game? In depth analysis there GOB.

.....and what has my support of Jack Steven got to do with this issue?? Totally irrelevant

Oh...or are you pointing out that I have been wrong in the past?. Pot kettle much, Mr Perfection??

(My God..I have been wrong on the internet..what devastating news that is...I never knew.......)

Ceglar and Stanley in the same team would be a disaster. Both so inconsistent we could end up playing with the equivalent of two players short.

Looking like Ceglar was never brought here to be a backup. Obviously plans are for him and Stanley to form a partnership.

To be fair he didnt say that 100 % what he more said is the main reason he came here was to play finals and he considers himself to be an equal to rhys not a backup. We dont know if the coaches see it that way or not. But either way love the attitude as it means he is not coasting for a paycheck. And with both being 32 and a bit banged up sharing the load isnt a bad thing.

To be fair he didnt say that 100 % what he more said is the main reason he came here was to play finals and he considers himself to be an equal to rhys not a backup. We dont know if the coaches see it that way or not. But either way love the attitude as it means he is not coasting for a paycheck. And with both being 32 and a bit banged up sharing the load isnt a bad thing.
100% agree. I love his attitude and commitment too. How good is it to FINALLY have depth and options in the ruck? Its been our Achilles heel forever.

Gee, we're well placed.

Things are just falling into place really well.

How good is it to FINALLY have depth and options in the ruck? Its been our Achilles heel forever.
It's not that I don't agree with you. It's just that you (and others) celebrating this here actually sends shivers down my spine. Can't help worrying that our 'embarrassment of riches' will evaporate to Esava being backed by Henry in the ruck by the time the Dogs game rolls around.

#keeptherucklidfirmlyon
#couldallunravelinaninstant

It wasn't the defining factor, though - and since then, we have lost Harry Taylor and Lachie Henderson.

I still maintain that Blicavs' best football came in his second B&F year when he played as a key back.
It probably did but we slowed down back movement substantially to protect a weak backline. He had it handed to him on a platter that year a bit.

Best role for the team hands down has been ruck/wing. You can trade for a kpd, you can't trade for a Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back