Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Wills is our strongest correlation to those player, absorbs tackles, lays tackles. DeGoey closer to a Martin type.

Either way, can't see him getting too much midfield time until we find another medium or tall to play forward. Even the inclusion of say Crocker (188cm) might be enough. We retain a small forward line though and he won't be going anywhere.

I am interested to see if Wills will allow Pendles and AT to get a bit more outside ball. Whilst I prefer Degoey on the ball I can see Wills playing a role.

I couldn't believe Blair was in the middle in the last quarter over Degoey. Absolutely horrible.
I get your point and agree but midfield is Blair's best position. If he is in the team id prefer him to be a 70/30 mid/fwd than the feast or famine small forward target.

Last edited:

He can show all of those attributes playing a high half forward role. It's where a heap of midfielders have cut their teeth before they are good enough to become starting mids.
The last couple of weeks it's been a lead up forward role. That's not going to show too much of what he can do in the middle. I know he has to earn his stripes but this is his third year he has shown he can play forward last year. It's time for the next stage.

I get your point and agree but midfield is Blair's best position. If he is in the team id prefer him to be a 70/30 mid/fwd than the feast or famine small forward target.
If Blair is in the side with a 70/30 midfield/forward split it's an indictment on our selection panel and our supposedly 'leagues best' midfield.

We have Adams, Pendlebury, Wells, Sidebottom, Treloar, Greenwood, JDG and Crisp who are all superior options to him in the midfield. If he's not good enough to get a game as a forward he shouldn't be in the team in the first place, and a player like Crocker should be brought in who can actually play as a forward and afford players like JDG the minutes they need to further their development.

If Blair is in the side with a 70/30 midfield/forward split it's an indictment on our selection panel and our supposedly 'leagues best' midfield.

We have Adams, Pendlebury, Wells, Sidebottom, Treloar, Greenwood, JDG and Crisp who are all superior options to him in the midfield. If he's not good enough to get a game as a forward he shouldn't be in the team in the first place, and a player like Crocker should be brought in who can actually play as a forward and afford players like JDG the minutes they need to further their development.

It's the only way I can see it happening at the moment. Can't go from 1x 200cm KPF down to a cluster of 180ish cm small forwards, even worse when Moore takes a stint in the ruck.

Can't help but feel we need to start giving de Goey far more minutes through the midfield or risk totally stalling his development as a footballer.

How we manipulate this is the hard part and may require someone like Sidebottom spending more time forward or making a hard call on a player and omitting them.

I want to see it as early as next week against Melbourne a side with a deep midfield and stacked with impressive young talent.

de Goey vs Oliver is what I want.

He has been given small stints on ball this year and can't touch it when in there, also coincides with opponents taking over the midfield battle.

With Greenwood playing more forward and Crisp potentially playing more wing/HB(I'd like him to play HFF tho he seems to run quite well and have an above average contested mark).

If we move sidebottom further up the ground, there potentially is a spot for De Goey as an inside midfielder.

Ideally we'd have:
  • Scott Pendlebury
  • Adam Treloar
  • Taylor Adams
  • Jordan De Goey
As our 4 primary inside midfielders

Then we have:
  • Daniel Wells
  • Steele Sidebottom
  • Travis Varcoe
As our 3 primary outside midfielders

Crisp, Greenwood, Broomhead can pinch in whenever required

This number of midfielders CAN be sustainable as long as we have a gameplan similar to the one GWS is using, which involves alot of run and carry through the corridor, fulling utilising the strength and depth or having a potent midfield.

GWS has 4 inside mids in best 22
1. Stephen Conigilio
2. Dylan Shiel
3. Callen Ward
4. Ryan Griffen

3 outside mids
1. Josh Kelly
2. Lachie Whitfield
3. Tom Scully

And a bunch of 1st rounders running around the midfield too

They have shown that it can work, as long as we don't play our 2010/2011 style of football where we rely on key forwards marking the ball down the line.

He has been given small stints on ball this year and can't touch it when in there, also coincides with opponents taking over the midfield battle.
Really? Not something I've noticed to be honest. How long has he been rotating through for? That being the case, we're probably doing the right thing easing him in. Although part of me wants to see him get a full game at it, more time to pick up the rhythm, find his feet etc

Really? Not something I've noticed to be honest. How long has he been rotating through for? That being the case, we're probably doing the right thing easing him in. Although part of me wants to see him get a full game at it, more time to pick up the rhythm, find his feet etc

Ah, are we talking about the same player?

That being Blair.

Degoey hasn't had mid time yet but agree he should be getting put in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure who you sacrifice out of the midfield to give degoey more minutes (apart from Blair) if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jdg needs to play where he's told . He had the chance to move up the pecking order in the pre season and he blew it

He's playing ok without setting the world on fire. He needs to persist and we need to persist with him

High half forward is the closest thing to midfield anyway, except you don't contest the centre bounce.

Everyone of our players can't be in the midfield even though for about 16 of our team it's their preferred position.

this kid has to fight his way in there and force the coach's hand with strong performances. He has plenty of chances in games to win clearances from ballups and throw ins etc.

Last edited:
De goey got some inside midfield minutes against Carlton and only a few last week. Otherwise he spends almost all of his time at half forward and a little on a wing (so not too close to the ball).

In comparison players like Broomhead, Sidebottom, Wells, Blair and even Maynard have played closer to the ball than him.

It wouldn't be that difficult for the coaches to rotate him on the ball a lot more than now. And despite what they seem to think, a half forward is very different to an inside mid and needs a very different skill set which De Goey only has in part.

De goey's biggest strenghts are his sense of anticipation of the ball drop from a ruck contest, his clearance game, his ability as a contested ball winner, his good hands in tight, his long but not greatly accurate kick forward and his tackling. He is in the mould of a Kennedy from the Swans.

We've stalled his development by playing him out of position. His promise in his first year, whenever he goes and racks up massive numbers in the VFL and in the pre season as an inside mid, have not been realised because he's not given a good run at playing on the ball in a game, let alone consecutive games to build his game there.

We've stalled his development by playing him out of position. His promise in his first year, whenever he goes and racks up massive numbers in the VFL and in the pre season as an inside mid, have not been realised because he's not given a good run at playing on the ball in a game, let alone consecutive games to build his game there.

It could equally be argued that we've enhanced his development, giving him a more well rounded game.

Of our more likely mids, Crisp is the only player he could challenge for a more permanent role in the midfield rotation. He's certainly not going to force Pendles, Adams, Treloar, or Wells out of there. Nothing JDG has done to date suggests he would currently offer more than Crisp in that role. Crisp also brings an important run-with capacity to the role that JDG doesn't exhibit.

So that begs the question, why the rush?

Our current forward structure only further restricts his opportunity for midfield time so can't see anything changing until we change the structure by including Cox or Reid (when available) or at a minimum Crocker. That would at least allow JDG and Crisp to be waxing HFF - midfield.

It could equally be argued that we've enhanced his development, giving him a more well rounded game.

Of our more likely mids, Crisp is the only player he could challenge for a more permanent role in the midfield rotation. He's certainly not going to force Pendles, Adams, Treloar, or Wells out of there. Nothing JDG has done to date suggests he would currently offer more than Crisp in that role. Crisp also brings an important run-with capacity to the role that JDG doesn't exhibit.

So that begs the question, why the rush?

Our current forward structure only further restricts his opportunity for midfield time so can't see anything changing until we change the structure by including Cox or Reid (when available) or at a minimum Crocker. That would at least allow JDG and Crisp to be waxing HFF - midfield.

I'm not just thinking about what's better for him but also what's better for the team. Having Wells, Sidebottom, Broomhead spend more time at half forward rather than on the ball is beneficial for us. Having De Goey going the other way is beneficial too. We did suffer in the middle of the Brisbane game when they came back and were dominating clearances with Beams and Zorko – it was a prime moment to try to give our top inside mids a rest (Adams, Pendles, Treloar who I agree should have first priority on any time on the ball) and bring a young clearance player like De Goey in.

Last edited:
I'm not just thinking about what's better for him but also what's better for the team. Having Wells, Sidebottom, Broomhead spend more time at half forward rather than on the ball is beneficial for us. Having De Goey going the other way is beneficial too. We did suffer in the middle of Brisbane game when they came back and were dominating clearance with Beams and Zorko – it was a prime moment to try to give our top inside mids a rest (Adams, Pendles, Treloar who I agree should have first priority on any time on the ball) and bring a young clearance player like De Goey in.

Yeah, I'm not wedded to either side of the debate and would certainly like to see him getting some time in the guts, even with our shorter structure. Sadly for him, if he hadn't had the preseason mishap he likely would have been in the midfield group round 1 and given time to cement his role in there in subsequent rounds. Not suggesting his misdemeanour is in any way influencing selection decisions, just that when he did return team requirements locked him into HF and we have seen the introduction of Wells which provides even more competition.

Can't help but feel we need to start giving de Goey far more minutes through the midfield or risk totally stalling his development as a footballer.

How we manipulate this is the hard part and may require someone like Sidebottom spending more time forward or making a hard call on a player and omitting them.

I want to see it as early as next week against Melbourne a side with a deep midfield and stacked with impressive young talent.

de Goey vs Oliver is what I want.

I want Degoey to get Crisps midfield tome with Crisp goingbto a back flank.

Everyone needs to just chill out about his midfield minutes... The same thing happened with Adams 3 years ago. Everybody hanging s**t and saying he's no good in the back line. Same with pretty much any player. He needs to earn his stripes because he's not going to make us a better team if he is playing in the midfield over one of our other pure mids.

For what it's worth too, when Blair was in the middle he was actually very effective. It's too bad 95% of you are so blinded that you couldn't see that.

Everyone needs to just chill out about his midfield minutes... The same thing happened with Adams 3 years ago. Everybody hanging s**t and saying he's no good in the back line. Same with pretty much any player. He needs to earn his stripes because he's not going to make us a better team if he is playing in the midfield over one of our other pure mids.

For what it's worth too, when Blair was in the middle he was actually very effective. It's too bad 95% of you are so blinded that you couldn't see that.
Blair was effective as an ashtray on a motorbike

So effective that he got dropped. He did about 2 good things all day, please don't act as if he played well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back