Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

when holding Dunkley is a choice we could be making?

Holding a player who's asked to be traded two seasons in a row? Sure, that's their prerogative.

What if Sam power doesn’t want a 2022 first round selection but instead wants this year’s first

He can ask, maybe he'll get it, maybe EFC won't want to trade it and offers a 2022 First instead. Maybe Dunkley asks for a trade to St Kilda instead. Maybe he'll take a 2022 First and trade the Dogs 2022 First to Freo for Brennan Cox. Maybe Dunkley asks for a trade to St Kilda or Geelong instead and they have 0 chance of a Top-10 selection for him.

So I’ll ask again, how are you basing this assumption?

This entire thread is based on the scenario that he does ask for a trade, I guess if your argument is that he won't ask for a trade, that's fine, but somewhat besides the point of the thread.

Holding a player who's asked to be traded two seasons in a row? Sure, that's their prerogative.

He can ask, maybe he'll get it, maybe EFC won't want to trade it and offers a 2022 First instead. Maybe Dunkley asks for a trade to St Kilda instead. Maybe he'll take a 2022 First and trade the Dogs 2022 First to Freo for Brennan Cox. Maybe Dunkley asks for a trade to St Kilda or Geelong instead and they have 0 chance of a Top-10 selection for him.

This entire thread is based on the scenario that he does ask for a trade, I guess if your argument is that he won't ask for a trade, that's fine, but somewhat besides the point of the thread.

Soft answer and not what I asked. Your original post was “if he does request a trade a second time, it’ll most likely get done this time”. No real thought process behind it as I don’t think it’s happened before/rarely occurs.

Soft answer and not what I asked. Your original post was “if he does request a trade a second time, it’ll most likely get done this time”. No real thought process behind it as I don’t think it’s happened before/rarely occurs.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, seems to go quickly. Daniher & Tim Kelly both happened quickly from memory. Fantasia got done (for more than most Essendon supporters expected).

I strongly doubt the club holds him to his contract again if he asks to be traded, again. History shows that generally when players publicly want to leave it gets done, and when they ask a second time, it gets done even quicker.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, seems to go quickly. Daniher & Tim Kelly both happened quickly from memory. Fantasia got done (for more than most Essendon supporters expected).

I strongly doubt the club holds him to his contract again if he asks to be traded, again. History shows that generally when players publicly want to leave it gets done, and when they ask a second time, it gets done even quicker.
As we saw with Kelly and Gibbs though, the second time around the destination club overpaid hard to get it over the line. I'm not convinced that would happen here, but history suggests Essendon aren't in a position to bargain much here. If they do want him again (which isn't guaranteed), he wouldn't come cheap unless he has a s**t year

Some can be said about you guy’s as well
Yeah we could be, but I doubt Oliver is interested. If Cripps goes, Carlton could hand Melbourne the picks + use Cripps money on Oliver. It was rumoured that Carlton were interested in him last trade period so I can see them make a play.
Problem is Essendon have no leverage. Dunkley is contracted, and he's not childish enough to refuse to play for us in 2022 if not traded this year, so we have no incentive to take less than what we want.
That's technically how it is, but it wouldn't work in a practical sense. There'd be a lot of pressure on Bulldogs to get the deal done from a player welfare perspective. You might not care about how Bulldogs are perceived, but the club does. We have first hand experience with the Daniher and Fantasia requests.

Bulldogs wouldn't keep Dunkley for another year if he requests for a trade for more opportunity. Otherwise, you'd have a disgruntled, OOC player that is unable to play his preferred position. Bulldogs fans would turn on him, his teammates wouldn't trust him, his coach wouldn't trust him (especially Bevo) and you'd lose him at the end of 2022 for next to nothing. Wouldn't be a nice environment to work in. It'd also be wasting his development given that we can instantly make him the number one mid.

To use a recent example, Fantasia was contracted for another year, but Port had all the trade leverage. We could have played hardball and kept him, but didn't given that he was fixated on playing with Port. We technically didn't need to do the trade, but we did because we'd look bad keeping him.

Bulldogs have leverage if Dunkley is willing to go to another team. If it's Essendon and Essendon only, well that sucks. We obviously don't have leverage, but it'd be an even negotiation, unlike last year where Bulldogs had all the leverage.

As we saw with Kelly and Gibbs though, the second time around the destination club overpaid hard to get it over the line. I'm not convinced that would happen here, but history suggests Essendon aren't in a position to bargain much here. If they do want him again (which isn't guaranteed), he wouldn't come cheap unless he has a sh*t year
The difference between Kelly and Gibbs to Dunkley is that both were among their best players going to a club in contention.
They didn't request a trade for more opportunity. They were the star players at their respective clubs.

What Bev does with Dunkley will dictate how much we need to pay. If Dunkley has a 2019 year, then we'll have to pay overs for him. If not, then I can't see anyone falling over themselves to hand a top 5 pick. HIs value is very much up in the air.

I suspect Dunkley will prove himself if Bev gives him the opportuniy.

As we saw with Kelly and Gibbs though, the second time around the destination club overpaid hard to get it over the line. I'm not convinced that would happen here, but history suggests Essendon aren't in a position to bargain much here. If they do want him again (which isn't guaranteed), he wouldn't come cheap unless he has a sh*t year

Different scenarios, Dunkley would appear to be moving for opportunity, not a return home. Kelly had just come 5th in the Brownlow, and both Adelaide & West Coast considered the player as a key piece of their premiership push in the here and now.

If Dunkley does ask for a trade again, it would likely be due to wanting to play as a full-time midfielder, not because he's just spent a season in the guts as an AA Player and top Brownlow chance.

I'd say a 2022 Bombers first would be fair enough value for Dunks on the presumption we have a great KPB sought out to flip it or our own 2022 pick for. I'd be stoked if we turned Dunks into a CHB capable of holding that spot down for 5 years and the club probably would, too.

I'd say a 2022 Bombers first would be fair enough value for Dunks on the presumption we have a great KPB sought out to flip it or our own 2022 pick for. I'd be stoked if we turned Dunks into a CHB capable of holding that spot down for 5 years and the club probably would, too.
A team in this scenario would be much more willing to trade if a known quantity ie a 2021 is involved. Prising out a best 22 KPD on a speculative 2022 future first won’t be easy.

Be surprised if our list manager hasn't been quietly shopping Dunkley around.

Be even more surprised if Dunks ends up asking to go to Ess again (IF he wants to go).

Be massively surprised if North in particular and Carl aren't in the frame.

Really don't get all the trade talk from Ess supporters, it's not like they have any link to Josh other than a failed offer and a broken promise to sign Josh's brother or anything.

I guess with the looming loss of Merrett and a rebuild underway - Ess fans need to dream a little.:(

Bunch of fantasists.

Be surprised if our list manager hasn't been quietly shopping Dunkley around.

Be even more surprised if Dunks ends up asking to go to Ess again (IF he wants to go).

Be massively surprised if North in particular and Carl aren't in the frame.

Really don't get all the trade talk from Ess supporters, it's not like they have any link to Josh other than a failed offer and a broken promise to sign Josh's brother or anything.

I guess with the looming loss of Merrett and a rebuild underway - Ess fans need to dream a little.:(

Bunch of fantasists.
In all honesty I don’t think the Dunkley clan would see North as big enough for brand Dunkley. I think this is about raising his profile as much as money.

Cox would be a fantastic get for us.
Last year was unusual given the NGA issue and not having time to turn any draft picks into a player given how late a trade deal for Dunkley would have been done, but this year if a threeway trade could net us Cox + picks (or upgrades) I'd be all ears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A team in this scenario would be much more willing to trade if a known quantity ie a 2021 is involved. Prising out a best 22 KPD on a speculative 2022 future first won’t be easy.
We have to be talking to Freo. They are the only team with a KPD surplus, especially if Pearce can get fit, gun when on the paddock. We've asked the question of almost every OOC KPD in the past few years.

Cox would be a fantastic get for us.
Last year was unusual given the NGA issue and not having time to turn any draft picks into a player given how late a trade deal for Dunkley would have been done, but this year if a threeway trade could net us Cox + picks (or upgrades) I'd be all ears.

Cox would be the one imo, Fremantle have enough depth in KPD's that they'd listen to an offer I'd think.

Fischer McAsey, has he signed with the Crows yet? Dogs should be trying for him, perfect for them IMO.

In all honesty I don’t think the Dunkley clan would see North as big enough for brand Dunkley. I think this is about raising his profile as much as money.
All I can see with Josh is that money talks. Puts North in the box seat IMO. Time will tell.

Fischer McAsey, has he signed with the Crows yet? Dogs should be trying for him, perfect for them IMO.
Saints going hard, but he was a bulldogs supporter as a kid.
Crows fans think he and Worrell will sign in coming weeks.

I think I he’s a long way off being a best 22 key defender. People just see he was a high draft pick and assume he’s a guaranteed gun. He may get there but we need someone ready to go.

Similar age demo to JUH and Naughton, Plenty of development left in him, worth a look at the very least

Similar age demo to JUH and Naughton, Plenty of development left in him, worth a look at the very least
TBH I think we'd prefer someone a couple of years further into their development, a 'plug and play' type.

Looked back to his bullocking best yesterday, 30 touches and a bunch of clearances.
... and a truckload of tackles. That's the game we want from him.

Was awesome yesterday. But I’m sure everyone will focus on his 2 ruck contests he didn’t even compete in after Stef was put on ice. Sigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back