Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Never been a fan of our predominant black jumper.

If the predominant white became our home jumper again, I would be very happy.
I agree I think it's easier on the eye, plus reminds me of the Collingwood in my childhood being the 90s. It's the same with North Melbourne I think their white guernseys with blue stripes looks better but they recently have changed to their blue kit which apparently is their traditional strip. Same thing I just imagine the great North Melbourne team of the 90s.

On today's game and other situations where a clash strip doesn't help, I think a club one day needs to be a bit more adventurous than just wearing a white kit with a logo. Is it too scary to wear a colour that isn't associated with the club. I'm usually anti copying other sports around the world but why can't we be more like the epl in that sense?

Why don't Essendon just reverse their home jumper and be done with it? It's almost childish, this obsession with 'black with a red sash'. But I guess at least they have a clash jumper, even if they don't wear it against all the teams that require it.

There’s no childish obsession. The club keeps a red sash because it’s our symbol. We’ve put it on silver and red, not just black.

It’s an effective slash strip and works well. It’s worn whenever they’re instructed to wear it. It’s not Essendon’s fault, they get told what to wear in away games - same as Carlton do against Collingwood. It’s the AFL.

Umpires in today’s Bulldogs/Eagles match are wearing blue shirts - great contrast given both teams have a lot of blue in their jumpers

The ineptitude is staggering.

Blue should literally be the last possible option for umpires to wear in Dogs v eagles. It's just ridiculous.

There’s no childish obsession. The club keeps a red sash because it’s our symbol. We’ve put it on silver and red, not just black.

It’s an effective slash strip and works well. It’s worn whenever they’re instructed to wear it. It’s not Essendon’s fault, they get told what to wear in away games - same as Carlton do against Collingwood. It’s the AFL.
Not saying it doesn't work, just saying that a simple reverse would look more 'Essendon' than this stupid tiny bit of black down the middle of a red jumper. It makes a mockery of their actual red sash on a black jumper. That's the symbol, not red with a tiny bit of black. But just my opinion.

Why don't Essendon just reverse their jumper and put a tiny red sash inside the black sash to keep their constitution happy?

Hawthorn and Richmond don't work well together. Both teams have black and brown as their dark colours, which are similar from a distance, and both teams have yellow and gold, which are again similar from a distance.
Today was a joke. 2 goals from players mistakenly handballing directly to an opposition player and about 5 or 6 others throughout the game. Farcical

Not saying it doesn't work, just saying that a simple reverse would look more 'Essendon' than this stupid tiny bit of black down the middle of a red jumper. It makes a mockery of their actual red sash on a black jumper. That's the symbol, not red with a tiny bit of black. But just my opinion.

Why don't Essendon just reverse their jumper and put a tiny red sash inside the black sash to keep their constitution happy?

It’s not actually a requirement of the constitution... that just says we have to wear black and red sash when we’re allowed to, basically. It doesn’t dictate a clash strip.

I’m not a big fan of black on red. I like our current clash strip in the all-red. The silver was s**t but silver is always s**t on footy jumpers. I’d be ok with red sash on white too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today was a joke. 2 goals from players mistakenly handballing directly to an opposition player and about 5 or 6 others throughout the game. Farcical

Hawthorn used to have a light brown.

Every year they made it darker and darker. Now they also play in black and yellow.

Umpires in today’s Bulldogs/Eagles match are wearing blue shirts - great contrast given both teams have a lot of blue in their jumpers
Reminds me of the Melbourne vs western bulldogs in 2010. The game was dedicated to raising money for breast cancer. Melbourne had pink in the guernseys instead of red. The umpires though good intentions also wore pink. This proved to be a bad decision as James McDonald handballed straight to the umpire which I'm pretty sure ended up in a turnover goal. Game was decided by less than a kick as well I'm pretty sure.

This should be so simple to fix. Teams should have a light and a dark kit. They choose whichever is their home kit, and their opponent wears the opposite. Their shorts should have to match too.

So many teams have kits that are light and dark and it makes clashes hard to avoid.

Hawthorn's predominantly gold home jumper (which would be their light kit) should be worn with gold shorts. Wearing brown shorts means it clashes with both of Richmond's kits.

Same goes with Geelong. Their jumper is predominantly white, so it should be worn with white shorts as their home kit.

The back of GWS' jumper should be charcoal to make it their "dark" kit.

This should be so simple to fix. Teams should have a light and a dark kit. They choose whichever is their home kit, and their opponent wears the opposite. Their shorts should have to match too.

So many teams have kits that are light and dark and it makes clashes hard to avoid.

Hawthorn's predominantly gold home jumper (which would be their light kit) should be worn with gold shorts. Wearing brown shorts means it clashes with both of Richmond's kits.

Same goes with Geelong. Their jumper is predominantly white, so it should be worn with white shorts as their home kit.

The back of GWS' jumper should be charcoal to make it their "dark" kit.
I completely disagree with this.

Saying you should have the same coloured shorts to match your jumper is like saying your jumper should be predominantly one colour (instead of two or three).

North in white top, royal blue shorts and Geelong in the traditional hoops with navy shorts is a beautiful traditional strip. Why should they be forced to compromise in home games because they other club?

This is also saying West coast in peril top, blue shorts and Swans with the all white with red vee or slash on red shorts also isn't allowed.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Looks fantastic, is far better and traditional.

The white with black stripes looks awesome. Could be worn with white shorts when needed.

Black with white stripes should be the other kit and have all black back like Swan Districts.

Carlton away kit should be all white including socks.

Essendon away kit red with black sash and red shorts and normal socks.

Richmond away kit yellow with black sash and yellow shorts with normal socks. Yellow guernsey with white shorts looks poor.

West Coast away should have yellow shorts too. Normal socks.

Geelong should wear white shorts always as looks better.

Bulldogs look great in a white away kit.

Hawthorn need a mainly yellow away kit with normal socks.

Every year they made it darker and darker. Now they also play in black and yellow.
To be fair you guys used to play in charcoal and mustard. Anyways, the away side needs to wear a 3rd kit for this fixture, whether it's fluro green, pink, blue or white doesn't really matter but it can't be brown/gold/yellow/black

Yep, the teams did the right thing and embraced a perfect clash solution, their contrast was excellent. Then the umpiring dept went and ****ed it up.

I did think the umpires wearing blue was a little symbolic given all they did for the home team ;)

Last edited:

Hawthorn wore a yellow and light brown, yes. Gold and dark Brown are our traditional colours though. The light colours only came in due to puma- the same as when Richmond moved their jumper colours became more vibrant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back