Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the club had 2 jumpers made and wanted to use both of them…

The AFL don’t tell Port to wear their white jumper to clash with Norths white jumper, like they wouldn’t have told Freo to wear their home jumper against Collingwood at the MCG nor did they tell Geelong to wear home shorts against Collingwood in the final years ago.

AFL has the power to tell clubs what to wear and not to wear, they don’t actually bother to sit down for every game and set a policy, that’s why we get clashes.

Only people trying to deflect blame from their clubs think they do.
Take the blinkers off FFS

They ticked off the 2019 QF and you know it. Same as how they're ticking off Geelong in white shorts for every game but in the same breath they're ticking off North in blue.

You underestimate their incompetence.

Great use of the clash jumper by Carlton, but this is a perfect example of how awful Port’s number panel is.
I dont really get the tiny little navy bib on the top of the Carlton top. But overall its a mostly good contrast (would be perfect if not for the stupid Port number panel)

I dont really get the tiny little navy bib on the top of the Carlton top. But overall its a mostly good contrast (would be perfect if not for the stupid Port number panel)

Clubs could consider wearing a non-club colour for their away kits so that they don’t clash with the colour palette of the home team. I know sensible ideas aren’t really on brand for the AFL but I reckon it’s worth a shot!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a non issue. Get over it.
I disagree it definitely causes unnecessary issues against some combinations of dark/light. Its so much more aesthetically pleasing and easier to create contrast against when there is a solid major colour front and back. Having a half/half back like the number panel is an issue. It may not be the worst in the whole comp but its part of the whole poor uniform policy the AFL has

I disagree it definitely causes unnecessary issues against some combinations of dark/light. Its so much more aesthetically pleasing and easier to create contrast against when there is a solid major colour front and back. Having a half/half back like the number panel is an issue. It may not be the worst in the whole comp but its part of the whole poor uniform policy the AFL has
There's also the fair view that home teams can wear whatever colour combination they want, or don't have to concern themselves with light and dark.

There's enough shades and colours on the spectrum that the onus is on the away team to provide one of those uniforms.

There's also the fair view that home teams can wear whatever colour combination they want, or don't have to concern themselves with light and dark.

There's enough shades and colours on the spectrum that the onus is on the away team to provide one of those uniforms.
I do agree with this. Clubs should be brave enough to wear different options more often. For example I would be happy if the Lions would embrace the bears colours and wear the yellow with maroon highlights sometimes (even away in Melbourne). Its so much better when there is a clear difference between the two teams

Doesn't look as good, but no less effective as a clash kit - the 2 Carlton kits should never be an issue if paired appropriately

I absolutely advocate for home teams do what they want but that Port number panel is rough.

The natural best contrast with their black kit is a white kit, then they have half the back of their jumper white.

It eliminates the best natural clash color from being that effective.

It was never an issue up until we changed to the BIB and then BIBNP.

I absolutely advocate for home teams do what they want

it's up to the away team to come up with something isn't it?

the way to go is to have multiple guernseys, Carlton should have navy blue, white, lime green, pink, yellow. it's 2024. this is the way the AFL has gone with everything else. milk everything. there's no reason not to. there's no reason to have teams with such similar colors have such weak alternate strips - a team who are blue and white having a white and blue alternate strip is stupid, make it a brilliant color, there's no "Heritage" lost, there's no confusion, nothing except 1) more money to be made and 2) a better spectacle on TV. which, again, is all the AFL care about, so what is the hold up? it's nuts.

I absolutely advocate for home teams do what they want but that Port number panel is rough.

The natural best contrast with their black kit is a white kit, then they have half the back of their jumper white.

It eliminates the best natural clash color from being that effective.
I always think the front should match the back wear possible - and same with shorts.

ie, GWS back should be charcoal at home (orange away), and Port would be better full black back.

If your shorts don't match, be prepared to wear white shorts at Home.

it's up to the away team to come up with something isn't it?

the way to go is to have multiple guernseys, Carlton should have navy blue, white, lime green, pink, yellow. it's 2024. this is the way the AFL has gone with everything else. milk everything. there's no reason not to. there's no reason to have teams with such similar colors have such weak alternate strips - a team who are blue and white having a white and blue alternate strip is stupid, make it a brilliant color, there's no "Heritage" lost, there's no confusion, nothing except 1) more money to be made and 2) a better spectacle on TV. which, again, is all the AFL care about, so what is the hold up? it's nuts.

100% this.

Heritage is for home games in front of the people who actually care about it. Nobody else in the league gives AF about your heritage.

Away kits are all about function and money in that order, not trying to hold onto scraps of your home identity.

Grow up ALF.

Grow up ALF.
alfing-alf.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back