Just name a medal* after Erin Phillips and be done with it

Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
This lady is unbelieveable. She shines as the best female footballer going around. After playing at the highest level in another sport for a decade and a half her list of achievements in AFLW will only be limited by her age and injury, but already it will possibly take years for another female footballer to surpass her.

In short she is a two time premiership captain, a tow time AFLW B&F winner, a two time MVP winner, a two time AA, an AA captain, two BOG in grand finals, a club B&F and club leading goalkicker.

I'm not certain on this but over the three years of AFLW she would lead or be close to the lead in most stats, for individual seasons and career.

She interviews better than 90% of footballers (men and women), promotes the game as well as anyone and will hopefully be involved in the media when she does hang up the boots.

* - I'm talking the AFLW league best and fairest

Updated in OP: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/another-gong-for-erin-phillips-20190401-p519ig.html

Updated (again) in OP:
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-of-course-erin-phillips-20190402-p51a46.html

Nicole Livingstone (AFLW boss) takes it next level - name a stand after Erin Phillips at Adelaide Oval

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-case-for-phillips-stand-20190403-p51aag.html

Last edited:

We are so lucky to have watched her play live. I slag off the AFL a lot for the short sighted decisions at times but bringing forward the aflw by 3 years means we have gotten to see Erin live.
You sound like someone hyping Ronda Rousey while she was undefeated. Erin is dominating a sport in its infancy with a very shallow talent pool at the highest level.

Calm the * down.

Name the premiership trophy after her?

When all’s said and done
I think she’ll have the AFLw version of the norm smith. Would rather it the Brownlow equivalent personally but she’ll get something....surely.

You sound like someone hyping Ronda Rousey while she was undefeated. Erin is dominating a sport in its infancy with a very shallow talent pool at the highest level.

Calm the **** down.

I wonder if there's a medal for the biggest clown that we can name after you?

I wonder if there's a medal for the biggest clown that we can name after you?
I thought we were meant to ignore trolls
Or as an ex moderator, we’re you trained to read everything and call the idiots up on everything’s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calm the **** down.

totally reductive. Erin is/was a basketballer. She is amongst a pool of athletes, many of who also play or have transferred from representing their country or state in other sports, and she is the best at this period of time....and yes maybe in the future you can guess she would be beaten by women who play professionally, just like how we now make comparisons with modern AFL players who would tear apart the champions of the VFL. But that doesn't diminish her accomplishments at all. She is the best amongst a field of a women who have had few opportunities and fewer development paths. The 'highest level' will evolve as with the pool and the professionalisation of the competition. And when that period finally comes we can argue about Erin Phillips v 2040 Brownlow medallist and reach the same conclusion that everyone does with the mens - that all eras being equal, Ablett/Bunton/Williams would still stand out among their peers.

Calm the **** down.

Given the reports that she was the best junior footballer (male or female) in her junior competition playing with boys and then had to give the game away and then she returned some 17 years later to dominate the competition in year 1 through to year 3 where the standard has improved 200% I'd say the hype is pretty bloody justified!

Given the reports that she was the best junior footballer (male or female) in her junior competition playing with boys and then had to give the game away and then she returned some 17 years later to dominate the competition in year 1 through to year 3 where the standard has improved 200% I'd say the hype is pretty bloody justified!
If she was as good as you guys hype her up to be she would be able to be a regular starter in the SANFL sides full of male players.

Her dominance illustrates the weakness of the competition around her as much as it does her high level of play.

Objectively the skill level of the AFLW in its infancy is not what you would consider worthy of a professional televised sport. The aim would be for this to change over time however in the current environment obviously a Phillips is going to standout.

If she was as good as you guys hype her up to be she would be able to be a regular starter in the SANFL sides full of male players.

Her dominance illustrates the weakness of the competition around her as much as it does her high level of play.

Objectively the skill level of the AFLW in its infancy is not what you would consider worthy of a professional televised sport. The aim would be for this to change over time however in the current environment obviously a Phillips is going to standout.

Stop it. You are embarrassing yourself.

Strong argument. While the sport is in its infancy it is hard to judge just how good someone dominating it is. Simple. Ronda Rousey being a high profile recent example.

No need for people to get offended over it.

Nobody is getting offended. We're just all kinda embarrassed for you.

You should probably go post somewhere else now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back