Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Serong has kicked 19.33 to date. If he could flip that around it would be a good start. Woeful accuracy.
The problem is his main avenue to goal appears to be roving packs 25 m or so out, from say, a boundary throw in inside 50 or some kind of F50 stoppage. That’s not a sustainable manner for a player of his physical attributes to kick a lot of goals. The goal he kicked in that final v the dogs comes to mind in 2022 as one he did get but it’s kinda rare. He’s gotten a few of these over the years but they are generally low percentage chances because there is often a couple of opposing players hanging out of him when he takes the shots and it’s easier smother his shots compared to the likes of Petracca because he’s a smaller man. That’s probably why he has so many behinds too.

It’s a case of see ball, grab ball, throw it on the boot in the general direction of the stocks and hope for the best. The last minute this year v port when he had that shot to win it was another example but that was a behind.

As Alfonz described well above, he’s doesn’t have the attributes to be a sustainable goal kicking mid. He’s brilliant at lots of other things you want from a premium mid but needs help on the goal kicking front from others in the midfield.

If Young, Johnson and Sharp become regular goal kickers from the midfield, the pressure will come off Bradshaw and Serong, who’d likely start kicking more as well if they are able to relax more and not feel the burden that’s been growing all year.
We can probably get 3-5 goals from Sharp, Banners and Johnson a game which is a good starting point from our midfield. The key is Johnson to float down to the forwardline more as he is almost KPF height.

This is massive.

One of the reasons why McKay is better from long range, he kicks through the ball for distance rather than nursing it through for accuracy (which has the opposite effect as it brings in other external factors).

Pick a point in the crowd and aim for that.
Apparently Bernie Naylor (career gka of 67%) used to only practice kicking at goals from around 35m-40m, but aim to have them travel through at goal post height.

His reasoning was it set up his timing and rhythm, allowing him to kick them from further out or closer distances if need be.

Pies, Dees, doggies and Suns next four..at favourable grounds and generally a pretty fit squad. Could be the making of JLo as a game day coach.
The game against the pies on Friday night is massive, a statement win there I would be huge for JL.

On a separate note, I’m pretty certain we are the only club out of 18 to never experience Roaming Brian segment on Channel 7 after a win. Pretty sure all 17 other clubs have got the BT experience… let’s hope we join them Friday night 😂

The game against the pies on Friday night is massive, a statement win there I would be huge for JL.

On a separate note, I’m pretty certain we are the only club out of 18 to never experience Roaming Brian segment on Channel 7 after a win. Pretty sure all 17 other clubs have got the BT experience… let’s hope we join them Friday night 😂
I think the closest we got was that draw with Richmond in 2022 😂

Pretty wild though, that segment has been going since 2016.

Apparently across the last four rounds we've had the most shots at goal and we've conceded the least amount of goals. If this is true JLo is building something special.
Our win/loss record isn't much different from this time last year but the football has felt more consistent to me.
The key will be can we maintain the rage, and click on those couple aspects that aren't quite there - goal kicking and intercept marking being the two key ones missing at the moment.

A few more down the line marks would also do wonders, when Treacy went crazy you could see the difference it made to our game.

Apparently across the last four rounds we've had the most shots at goal and we've conceded the least amount of goals. If this is true JLo is building something special.

Dogs Tigers Saints and Swans in that time. Definitely encouraging, but need a better sample.

Some food for thought. Not great but not terrible. If we can get more out if our players going I50 we will be a threat.
Screenshot_20240522_220000_Facebook.jpg

Our win/loss record isn't much different from this time last year but the football has felt more consistent to me.
The key will be can we maintain the rage, and click on those couple aspects that aren't quite there - goal kicking and intercept marking being the two key ones missing at the moment.

A few more down the line marks would also do wonders, when Treacy went crazy you could see the difference it made to our game.
This is the other side of the Darcy Jackson rucking combo.

Playing Treacy in the ruck detracts from his forward work and lead up marks.

He can pinch hit in the ruck but has more impact up forward.

Last edited:

This time last year we had that random burst where we beat Sydney Melbourne and Geelong all in a row and never looked close to that level again all season.

Will be nice when Cox comes back. Should start getting a couple more intercept marks again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this continues and dockers goal kicking conversion is like 60 percent, we are likely to make finals. I dont care if its 20 scoring shots and its 12.8.80 on average. Good kicking is good footy and produces good results.

Quite remarkable considering Cox is injured who I rate highly. Also says a lot about how our KPFs have improved, now if the smalls could join the party we'd have something...

That article gives a lot of insight into what is fairly obvious, JLo is a very measured and methodical person.

In business that works really well, I think in elite sport it's important we have a balance, either through the playing leadership team or other coaches.

The piece around motivation I find interesting, not sure I 100% agree as that works really well for some people while others need to be pushed, but maybe the line coaches are taking that responsibility for individuals.

I get the feeling that someone has advised JL to open up more & take ownership of his role as a spokesperson for the club.

Perhaps his manager/mentor or someone within the club trying to change supporters views of him who have been his biggest critics?

It’s almost a nothing to lose mentality in regards to his future as coach & although not natural to him, it doesn’t effect his coaching & his connection with the playing group.

It’s a very good change & rounds him out a bit more as a leader.

Last edited:
That article gives a lot of insight into what is fairly obvious, JLo is a very measured and methodical person.

In business that works really well, I think in elite sport it's important we have a balance, either through the playing leadership team or other coaches.

The piece around motivation I find interesting, not sure I 100% agree as that works really well for some people while others need to be pushed, but maybe the line coaches are taking that responsibility for individuals.
Definitely the idea of having a head coach be a manager of a coaching team, where the attributes/strengths of the various individual members can be used in the most effective ways, is the more modern approach.

The head coach doesn't have to be the Messiah who does it all, but the direction setter ensuring those strengths are used effectively.

I get the feeling that someone has advised JL to open up more & take ownership of his role as a spokesperson for the club.

Perhaps his manager trying to change supporters views of him who have been his biggest critics?

It’s almost a nothing to lose mentality in regards to his future as coach & although not natural to him, it doesn’t effect his coaching & his connection with the playing group.

It’s a very good change & rounds him out a bit more as a leader.
Isn’t JL his own manager?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back