Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't believe you have ever quite had a Premiership list at any point during Ken's tenure. That's more likely the reason you haven't won a flag. If anything, I think you have overachieved a little, certainly last year anyway. I don't think there has been any one year where Port was the outright best team, should have won the flag and 'blew it' because of the poor coaching. Obviously you see it quite differently.
I agree with this 100%, Covid year was our chance to jag one but lost the close prelim. Always felt like 1-2 decent players off.

Why don't you ask Hinkley? He's the one that brought Lycett into the club, appointed a cooked Jonas as captain for another year, and said last year he had the best list he ever had.
F - me…I honestly thought Jonas retired a few years ago.

Shows how much I take notice of movements at Alberteen.

7 more games until Ken Hinkley passes Bill Stephen for most games coached without a Grand Final appearance.
You Can Do It Waterboy GIF

Do Power supporters at least acknowledge that he has been a very good regular season coach? Always won at least 10 home and away games each season, and a winning % of over 60.

That is a pretty impressive record spread over a long period (250 games/11 seasons) and far better than most other coaches in the league, and in the history of the game for that matter.. He can obviously coach.

I see Power fans screaming that they want a Premiership coach, but it's actually rare for a Premiership coach to go to another club and be successful again. Not sure that would be the solution either.

Maybe Ken's time will be up soon, but for what it's worth, I see the Power having a very good year. I tipped a Swans vs Power GF at the start of the season, and I'm still pretty happy with that prediction at the moment.

The Power just look way more balanced/structured with those new additions they added in the offseason, and have arguably the most damaging midfield mix in the competition (who are yet to even peak).

The Power could easily be 5-0 in a few weeks time, and be in a wonderful position to push for the top 4 (again) and contend for a Premiership.

However, it seems as if the year has already been long written off by most of the fans, even after 2 convincing wins to open the season.

It's the sense of entitlement carried over from the SANFL, where they bullied the competiton for 100 years. They expected things to be the same for them in the AFL, and are not liking it one bit that it isn't. As you correctly pointed out, Ken has had a very good record over the past few years (just falling short), but they seem to think he should have won not 1, but multiple flags in his tenure. Very unrealistic expectations.
Every other club in AFL history has their coaches either make a grand final or get sacked over the same time frame.

Many of them with far worse lists, off field stability and finances.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do Power supporters at least acknowledge that he has been a very good regular season coach? Always won at least 10 home and away games each season, and a winning % of over 60.

That is a pretty impressive record spread over a long period (250 games/11 seasons) and far better than most other coaches in the league, and in the history of the game for that matter.. He can obviously coach.

I see Power fans screaming that they want a Premiership coach, but it's actually rare for a Premiership coach to go to another club and be successful again. Not sure that would be the solution either.

Maybe Ken's time will be up soon, but for what it's worth, I see the Power having a very good year. I tipped a Swans vs Power GF at the start of the season, and I'm still pretty happy with that prediction at the moment.

The Power just look way more balanced/structured with those new additions they added in the offseason, and have arguably the most damaging midfield mix in the competition (who are yet to even peak).

The Power could easily be 5-0 in a few weeks time, and be in a wonderful position to push for the top 4 (again) and contend for a Premiership.

However, it seems as if the year has already been long written off by most of the fans, even after 2 convincing wins to open the season.
Nope!

Luve Bevo has only missed the finals three times in 9 years. Ken missed the finals in 4 out of 5 seasons between 2015-2019 and has only a 6/11 finals return overall.

Melbourne finished 17th in 2019 and won a flag 2 years later. Collingwood finished 17th in 2021 and won a flag 2 years later. David Kock has an over paranoid fear of going anywhere near the bottom 6 hence why we've never won less than 10 games in any season under Ken. In reality you're actually a better chance of winning a flag the other way unless you're Geelong

It's the sense of entitlement carried over from the SANFL, where they bullied the competiton for 100 years. They expected things to be the same for them in the AFL, and are not liking it one bit that it isn't. As you correctly pointed out, Ken has had a very good record over the past few years (just falling short), but they seem to think he should have won not 1, but multiple flags in his tenure. Very unrealistic expectations.

This is actually an excellent comment.
Older Port supporters have a different view of the game due to growing up in the strange fish bowl of SANFL.
They dominated the local comp with the belief that players like Tim Evans, Scott Hodges and Bruce Abernethy were superstars.
They were in fact handy players, but nothing more at the top level.
I enjoy reading Port supporters comments as they are true fanatics, but they tend to over rate their players and expect success with players who aren't really that good in the big league.

How does Ken still have a job?? If this was anyone else at any other club.. they would have been turned years ago!! Brett Ratten is a prime example... he delivered mediocre results and got turfed as a result!

Older Port supporters have a different view of the game due to growing up in the strange fish bowl of SANFL.
They dominated the local comp with the belief that players like Tim Evans, Scott Hodges and Bruce Abernethy were superstars.
I enjoy reading Port supporters comments as they are true fanatics, but they tend to over rate their players and expect success with players who aren't really that good in the big league.
See this post makes me think you’ve not paid attention to Port at all

I’m from that cohort you describe and despite the prevailing view we are all entitled fools expecting 10x premiership players like the $ANFL days this is simply not true

What we want is reasoned balanced accountability to a bloke who has so far been far more successful in courting media opinion of his accomplishments than his actual ones

In 7 weeks time he will break the record for games coached without making a GF I mean how do people pretend like that isn’t objectively a BAD thing ?!

His finals record is poor including our second worst loss in AFL history (2021 prelim) where absolutely everything was in our favour, do you know how Ken responded?

He missed the 22 finals including overseeing an absolute dumpster fire thrashing to a VFL standard Hawthorn on a day meant to celebrate the life of arguably our greatest player

To add spice to that sort of result it’s clear he has absolutely zero buyin to our clubs history epitomised by trashing years of tradition and forcing co-captains on us for literally no reason at all and for no benefit

I could go on and present other cyclical examples of failure (2013/14 followed by 2015/16 or 2017 followed by 2018/19) and total lack of adaptation again and again over his 12 year reign of mediocrity

Simply put it’s incredibly simplistic to the point of insult/ gaslighting to wrap up the Ken Hinkley experience as disgruntled fools not realising AFL is objectively a harder competition than the SANFL while excusing performance figures that you yourself would never accept at a club like Collingwood

You're right I've noticed that too. They tend to massively overrate the quality of their players and overall list compared with others in the comp.

I agree that they have some decent chances to win a flag in Ken's time, but they still would have been relative upsets when you consider quality of opposition in each given year.

Essendon 1999 is the definition of blowing a flag, as is Geelong 2008, St Kilda 2009, Richmond 2018 etc. Maybe even Collingwood 2011. The best teams of the year who just fell short. I would in no way put Port in that category, not even in 2020 when they finished on top. They could have won, yes. Should have, no. Just my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations Ken Hinkley for coaching 250 games at the club. No premierships or grand final appearances. Time to give someone else a go. Whether we haven’t had the list, whether supporters overrate their players, Hinkley has been given a long time to build a list capable of “blowing” a flag let alone winning one.

Congratulations Ken Hinkley for coaching 250 games at the club. No premierships or grand final appearances. Time to give someone else a go. Whether we haven’t had the list, whether supporters overrate their players, Hinkley has been given a long time to build a list capable of “blowing” a flag let alone winning one.
No, I think he should be given another 250. You just never know.....................

We don't expect a premiership every year. We just expect that if a coach has been at the club for over a decade then they could make a GF more often than ... checks notes ... never.

Plus you left out good ordinary players like Gavin Wanganeen and Nathan Buckley from your list.

Its better to die on your feet than live with hink leys.

A spud that was parachuted in to keep us 5th to 12th forever.

Give our club back control of its board and he is out on his hinkleyarse Day 1.

Until then

45 coaches in VFL/AFL history have 200 or more games coached. Ken is currently 33rd on the list.
14th among them for W/L%

Well time to fire up the press and print this man a participation certificate.

Doesn’t mean squat when he doesn’t win finals or flags.

Why is it that no other team in history has put up with a single coach this long without success but we should just be grateful that he has a positive W/L ratio.

Who do you want to coach the team?
A bloody drovers dog, as long as he can make effective changes on gameday.

Houseboat Hinkley had his go, and was found wanting Gee a Long time ago.
12 years of kick it to Charlie, 2 tall forwards lead off and never get kicked to, so Charlie is outnumbered 3-1 is ENOUGH, and has been for about 8 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back