Moved Thread Kevin Sheedy calls on football to embrace sexual equality

Remove this Banner Ad

But you're saying it's valid, if it is a valid view it's illegal for them to take action based on it

It's valid for me to express my views in the street, just as it's valid for me to say we should e.g. end Muslim immigration. But there are many "don'ts" in the workplace. They pay the bills and they set the rules.

Not sure where you're going with this.

It's valid for me to express my views in the street, just as it's valid for me to say we should e.g. end Muslim immigration. But there are many "don'ts" in the workplace. They pay the bills and they set the rules.

Not sure where you're going with this.
Just trying to understand how you think you'd lose your job over expressing something that is a "valid" viewpoint

Just trying to understand how you think you'd lose your job over expressing something that is a "valid" viewpoint

Is it a regular topic of conversation in your workplace?

"Discrimination" is a very broad brush these days. If someone claims something I said offended them and they felt discriminated against, it'll likely be impossible for me to show otherwise.

My experience in professional environments is that people are reluctant to discuss anything with a political bent. Even in an election week, it's rare to be asked "Who are you voting for?".

I'm not sure why you're fixated on the workplace. E.g. consuming alcohol is valid behaviour, but not at work.

Is it a regular topic of conversation in your workplace?

"Discrimination" is a very broad brush these days. If someone claims something I said offended them and they felt discriminated against, it'll likely be impossible for me to show otherwise.

My experience in professional environments is that people are reluctant to discuss anything with a political bent. Even in an election week, it's rare to be asked "Who are you voting for?".

I'm not sure why you're fixated on the workplace. E.g. consuming alcohol is valid behaviour, but not at work.
False equivalence (and not entirely true. Some workplaces allow drinking. My old office would bring around drinks to people on Friday afternoons). We are discussing an attitude, not an action. And none of the above explains why you would lose your job if your viewpoint is valid.

I run my own business, but politics and SSM have been discussed almost every place I've worked.

I'm not fixated on the workplace, it's an example showing why your views aren't "just as valid"

I haven't even questioned half your garbage (progressives are somehow speeding up the apocalypse)

False equivalence (and not entirely true. Some workplaces allow drinking. My old office would bring around drinks to people on Friday afternoons). We are discussing an attitude, not an action. And none of the above explains why you would lose your job if your viewpoint is valid.

I run my own business, but politics and SSM have been discussed almost every place I've worked.

I'm not fixated on the workplace, it's an example showing why your views aren't "just as valid"

I haven't even questioned half your garbage (progressives are somehow speeding up the apocalypse)

They are valid, it's just not wise to express them where they could be used against you. Think of it as an impingement on your rights...

They are valid, it's just not wise to express them where they could be used against you. Think of it as an impingement on your rights...
So complain. Make a stand. Sounds like you feel you've got a pretty big rights violation

So complain. Make a stand. Sounds like you feel you've got a pretty big rights violation

It's just not a big deal at work. I'm sure nobody there is terribly interested in my opinion, just as I don't want to know whether anyone at my workplace is homosexual.

Is this where you tell me to "try anal, you'll love it" again?
Gough told me guys looking at me in toilets and playing with them self must be because I give them a vibe. He is a hypocrite complaining about homophobic comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm preaching nice and calmly mate regardless of all the abuse and name calling that I've copped so far I've still tried to keep everything civil

You've claimed that the 'gay lifestyle' involves high levels of physical abuse amongst other claims that aren't back by peer reviewed science.

Just because you didn't call out on individuals doesn't mean that you're behaviour is offensive, inflammatory and also wrong.

It's just not a big deal at work. I'm sure nobody there is terribly interested in my opinion, just as I don't want to know whether anyone at my workplace is homosexual.
None of that relates to the point, now does it.

Gough told me guys looking at me in toilets and playing with them self must be because I give them a vibe. He is a hypocrite complaining about homophobic comments.

I sometimes like to shock people a little bit. Tread the line between shock and offence, maybe with a dash of black humour. But sometimes people get offended and I get banned.

In hindsight I'm sure Gough was coming from a similar sort of place. But yeah, at the time it was the most offensive thing I've read on this forum.

The problem with the anti SSM debate is they continue to use religion as part of their argument. Australia is a secular country, not a Christian nation. Move to certain parts of Africa if you want to live in a country who use Christianity to write laws.

None of that relates to the point, now does it.

Of course it's an impingement on my right to free speech. But it's a small impingement, hence the term "creeping political correctness". I value my job far, far above my right to engage in a socio-political discussion at my employer's premises.

Of course it's an impingement on my right to free speech. But it's a small impingement, hence the term "creeping political correctness". I value my job far, far above my right to engage in a socio-political discussion at my employer's premises.
I don't think you understand most of the things you discuss. That is most certainly not an impingement on free speech

You've claimed that the 'gay lifestyle' involves high levels of physical abuse amongst other claims that aren't back by peer reviewed science.

Just because you didn't call out on individuals doesn't mean that you're behaviour is offensive, inflammatory and also wrong.
When did I write that? Please quote it, I think you've mistaken me for someone else

Are you troubled by the "normalisation" of gender equity?

Well I'm aware that women live four years longer than men in Victoria, and that if the boot was on the other foot, there would be widespread outrage. But am I "troubled" by it? No.

I don't think you understand most of the things you discuss. That is most certainly not an impingement on free speech

Yeah it is. I can't say "I believe homosexual lifestyles are innately unhealthy and that homosexuality is an unwholesome influence and deleterious to society at large. If put to a plebiscite, I am going to vote against gay marriage." As respectfully as it was put, I can't say it at work.

Yeah it is. I can't say "I believe homosexual lifestyles are innately unhealthy and that homosexuality is deleterious to society at large. If put to a plebiscite, I am going to vote against gay marriage." As respectfully as it was put, I can't say it at work.
And that isn't an impingement on free speech...
Do you understand what the concept of free speech refers to?

And that isn't an impingement on free speech...
Do you understand what the concept of free speech refers to?

I don't care about legal definitions. The above is an opinion shared by a significant percentage of the population, and it cannot be expressed in the workplace without the risk of repercussions. That to me is an impingement on "free speech".

Is it a big deal? No.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back