Recommitted Kieran Strachan [re-signed for 2 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

I could see a swap for Lewis Young benefiting both sides.

Young is 3 years younger, is from SA and can play across all lines so is an ideal depth player.
He has also played some great games as a key defender, however obviously has some deficiency as far as Bevo is concerned as he can not get a consistent run in defense. There is some suggestion that he can not hold to team structures although a change of coach may help with that.

If we were to get Strachan and a key defender as also mooted, Young would fall further back in the pecking order and he is already apparently assessing his options.

Young is 3 years younger, is from SA and can play across all lines so is an ideal depth player.
He has also played some great games as a key defender, however obviously has some deficiency as far as Bevo is concerned as he can not get a consistent run in defense. There is some suggestion that he can not hold to team structures although a change of coach may help with that.

If we were to get Strachan and a key defender as also mooted, Young would fall further back in the pecking order and he is already apparently assessing his options.
Young isn't a need for us at all. Like would be further behind with us than at the Dogs.

Murray, Butts, Doedee, Frampton, McAsey, Worrell albeit two of them are 3rd talls and not KPD's but I would think still ahead in the list.

We need mid's (good ones too) or a young developing ruck and Young isn't either of them. As I said earlier in the thread I'd like Lipinski if Strachan was to go to the Dogs. Obviously we would be putting a little more forward and wouldn't be a player for player deal.

Young isn't a need for us at all. Like would be further behind with us than at the Dogs.

Murray, Butts, Doedee, Frampton, McAsey, Worrell albeit two of them are 3rd talls and not KPD's but I would think still ahead in the list.

We need mid's (good ones too) or a young developing ruck and Young isn't either of them. As I said earlier in the thread I'd like Lipinski if Strachan was to go to the Dogs. Obviously we would be putting a little more forward and wouldn't be a player for player deal.
That list doesn't convince me that you don't need Young, but you would obviously know your list better than I would.
I see 2 promising key position players, a good undersized interceptor and some big question marks.
Can't say I've seen Frampton play defense so I guess maybe he has locked down that third tall defender role?

That list doesn't convince me that you don't need Young, but you would obviously know your list better than I would.
I see 2 promising key position players, a good undersized interceptor and some big question marks.
Can't say I've seen Frampton play defense so I guess maybe he has locked down that third tall defender role?
Ideally it’s Butts Murray Doedee as the three “talls”. Frampton and McAsey back up KPD talls and can go forward too, arguably both with ?’s can’t deny this. But putting Young into the mix doesn’t take the ? away it just makes it harder for them all to lose that unknown.

Then we have Worrell who plays a Doedee type role. Kelly if he stays as a hybrid tall/small defender depends who is playing down there and Hinge who was injured all year but another who can play taller but probably better suited to a running half back role.

So for us KPD isn’t a massive need. Obviously injury and form plays a big part but there are only so many you can have on a list at one time.

Young is a spud. Worse than Frampton even.

Ideally it’s Butts Murray Doedee as the three “talls”. Frampton and McAsey back up KPD talls and can go forward too, arguably both with ?’s can’t deny this. But putting Young into the mix doesn’t take the ? away it just makes it harder for them all to lose that unknown.

Then we have Worrell who plays a Doedee type role. Kelly if he stays as a hybrid tall/small defender depends who is playing down there and Hinge who was injured all year but another who can play taller but probably better suited to a running half back role.

So for us KPD isn’t a massive need. Obviously injury and form plays a big part but there are only so many you can have on a list at one time.
Yeah fair enough, I thought you might have gone with a 3 tall structure with Doedee as the fourth.
I think Young is a little more proven than the other guys he has just struggled to lock down a position with us.

Yeah fair enough, I thought you might have gone with a 3 tall structure with Doedee as the fourth.
I think Young is a little more proven than the other guys he has just struggled to lock down a position with us.
He maybe a little more proven yes but we spent 6 on McAsey so we think something of him clearly and Frampton can go forward back and pinch in the ruck of desperate. I’m guessing Young and Frampton would be battling out for “that” position. Personally it’s a toss of the coin and when we already have Frampton I wouldn’t be actively trying to trade in Young.

If one of both of Frampton and McAsey move on Young is probably a decent shout to fill a hole we would have. Until then he is excess to what we have already.

How many of Youngs games have you watched to make that call?
Or is this one of those 'if he's not automatic best 22 he's a spud' calls?
The fact he can't get a regular game at the dogs when they are desperate for KPDs suggests he's not worth much.

No interest from the crows.

He maybe a little more proven yes but we spent 6 on McAsey so we think something of him clearly and Frampton can go forward back and pinch in the ruck of desperate. I’m guessing Young and Frampton would be battling out for “that” position. Personally it’s a toss of the coin and when we already have Frampton I wouldn’t be actively trying to trade in Young.

If one of both of Frampton and McAsey move on Young is probably a decent shout to fill a hole we would have. Until then he is excess to what we have already.
IIRC Crows asked about him a year or two ago but that was before Butts established himself (well).

IIRC Crows asked about him a year or two ago but that was before Butts established himself (well).
Unsurprising when we only had Talia and Hartigan and a young Butts.

Murray has probably been the surprise packet and has established himself well enough without setting the world on fire. Certainly looks comfortable in the role. Had this not happened Young again would be a good "cheaper' option.

So the second one then.
Yeah probably. I don't get to a lot of VFL games ;)

Seriously though, I've seen 2 or 3 of the games he's played (not watching for him specifically) and don't remember thinking what a great young talent, plus with our KPD depth, it's really not a need, so we wouldn't shouldn't pay much anything for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah probably. I don't get to a lot of VFL games ;)

Seriously though, I've seen 2 or 3 of the games he's played (not watching for him specifically) and don't remember thinking what a great young talent, plus with our KPD depth, it's really not a need, so we wouldn't shouldn't pay much anything for him.
He has played 8 senior games this year and has been pretty good in at least half of them.

You're completely entitled to your opinion and Young may indeed not be of interest to Adelaide - I just find the constant labeling of players as spuds on Big Footy lazy and inane. The amount of times that these so called 'spud' end up getting traded for 'valuable picks' is quite amusing.

He has played 8 senior games this year and has been pretty good in at least half of them.

You're completely entitled to your opinion and Young may indeed not be of interest to Adelaide - I just find the constant labeling of players as spuds on Big Footy lazy and inane. The amount of times that these so called 'spud' end up getting traded for 'valuable picks' is quite amusing.
I think term spud is also quite derogatory. Ive been guilty of using it but thinking otherwise these as.

A player like West for Strachan?
Possibly, he is contracted next year but apparently is unhappy about not getting more opportunity.
As is the case with all of these scenarios it would come down to whether he was targeted and enticed over by the club.

I feel like it is hard to judge Strachans value but I would imagine the players are pretty equitable. Maybe a little sweetener our way.
Losing West would definitely sting for the diehards, especially as he is currently all potential and could thrive for another team.

Would 2022 pick(s) get the job done? We're already sitting on a likely 2021 points deficit

How about if we could load you up with points that gets you to 2400 plus Strachan and get your first this year and second next year? Your first this year is gone anyway and maybe we can ensure next year's isnt pushed back at all. Not sure if it's possible though.

Last edited:
How about if we could load you up with points that gets you to 2400 plus Strachan and get your first this year and second next year? Your first this year is gone anyway and maybe we can ensure next year's isnt pushed back at all. Not sure if it's possible though.
We could get to 2400 points just by splitting our 1st a few times, without needing to involve our future 2nd. Strachan isn't worth enough to justify a deal like that tbh

We could get to 2400 points just by splitting our 1st a few times, without needing to involve our future 2nd. Strachan isn't worth enough to justify a deal like that tbh

So you think that without giving up anything else, you're just going to turn your first into 2400 points? Certainly looking easier than it was a few weeks ago, but still beyond the realms of reality I reckon.

So you think that without giving up anything else, you're just going to turn your first into 2400 points? Certainly looking easier than it was a few weeks ago, but still beyond the realms of reality I reckon.
Under the assumption we are not limited as to how many picks we can bring, we can do what we did last year and split into a bunch of rubbish in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If it's limited to open list spots (the norm prior to 2020) then we probably wouldn't get close without doing the scenario you suggested.

Under the assumption we are not limited as to how many picks we can bring, we can do what we did last year and split into a bunch of rubbish in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If it's limited to open list spots (the norm prior to 2020) then we probably wouldn't get close without doing the scenario you suggested.
You'd think if Lipinski and one or 2 other squad players leave, that will bring in the required draft capital and then trade your 1st out for a 2022 1st. Get Darcy this year and some late end players and then have 2 x 1sts for next year

You'd think if Lipinski and one or 2 other squad players leave, that will bring in the required draft capital and then trade your 1st out for a 2022 1st. Get Darcy this year and some late end players and then have 2 x 1sts for next year
That's what I'm hoping for. Lipinski plus some token pick for Wallis, and bring a 2nd or 3rd forward from next year, and it will hopefully cover it while moving the 1st into next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back