Society & Culture Know your Australian places - Guess the town/city in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, surprised. I thought California was biggest USA state but easy to forget Alaska.
Queensland is deceptive in how big it is. Drive up to Brisbane and takes about two days of driving. When you are up there if the thought to explore further up north in Queensland comes across mind, when you find out, you not even half way to Cairns, it is a bit of a mind fu**.
Alaskans have a good sense of humour - we often hear the idea that everything is bigger in Texas

Up in Alaska when you go out to eat, plenty of places will offer you 2 serving sizes - the standard/normal US serve, or you can order the Texas serve which is the half serve, due to Texas being significantly smaller than Alaska

Yeah, surprised. I thought California was biggest USA state but easy to forget Alaska.
Queensland is deceptive in how big it is. Drive up to Brisbane and takes about two days of driving. When you are up there if the thought to explore further up north in Queensland comes across mind, when you find out, you not even half way to Cairns, it is a bit of a mind fu**.
Cali would be one of the last states id think of as massive- to me its deceptively smaller. Alaska and Texas would be my goto "big" US states

Outside of the french Quarter which is admittedly awesome there's not much to write home about New Orleans.
Even that was "Disneyfied" but still nice

Im sure there would be places the locals go to but it would be hard to find on your own

Not been to enough of USA to really know geography well.
Most of what I known is via television or movies, sadly.
Only time I been to USA is on way to other nations.
Been to LAX airport. Have to wait for next flight for about 8 hours. I went on shuttle bus to look around LA but then half an hour later thought, it just better hanging out at airport so never really checked it out.
San Fransico just airport stop on way to Canada.
New York connecting flight to LA and back to Australia.
Stuck in New York subway for a few hours overnight on a Friday night in middle of winter, missing last train between JFK airport and Newark airport.
Man, they get cold there in winter. * that. Could not wait to get out in morning and get on plane to somewhere warmer.
But I not driven in USA at all. If ever did would probably check out California, Maine and Florida the most. Like a road trip in Australia I think it would be fun. Would be less daunting as road trip here because there a lot more populated places. Australia with west of Adelaide is long long distances of little population, go north of Mildura by 10 km's and feels the same too. It very daunting to want to road trip inland in Australia.

Just to bring it back on track
heres a photo of the Paris End of Collins St

iu

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not been to enough of USA to really know geography well.
Most of what I known is via television or movies, sadly.
Only time I been to USA is on way to other nations.
Been to LAX airport. Have to wait for next flight for about 8 hours. I went on shuttle bus to look around LA but then half an hour later thought, it just better hanging out at airport so never really checked it out.
San Fransico just airport stop on way to Canada.
New York connecting flight to LA and back to Australia.
Stuck in New York subway for a few hours overnight on a Friday night in middle of winter, missing last train between JFK airport and Newark airport.
Man, they get cold there in winter. fu** that. Could not wait to get out in morning and get on plane to somewhere warmer.
But I not driven in USA at all. If ever did would probably check out California, Maine and Florida the most. Like a road trip in Australia I think it would be fun. Would be less daunting as road trip here because there a lot more populated places. Australia with west of Adelaide is long long distances of little population, go north of Mildura by 10 km's and feels the same too. It very daunting to want to road trip inland in Australia.
Shame you didn't stay on and have a look at LA
Sept 19, had similar length of time, bussed in to Union Station
shuttle view.jpg

union station.jpg

Red line subway to City Hall and up to the Observation Deck

city hall.jpg

union.jpg

Red line to Hollywood for Shake Shack

shake shack.jpg

Blue Expo line to USC and The Collessium.
Back on the Expo line to Santa Monica

santa monica.jpg

Strolled from Santa Monica down to Venice

santa monica 2.jpg

venice.jpg

Uber to In'n'Oút Burger and sat in the park over the road and watched the birds come into land.

lax.jpg

10 minute walk to the terminal and waited for my upgrade to come through. Still waiting.

Shame you didn't stay on and have a look at LA
Sept 19, had similar length of time, bussed in to Union Station
View attachment 1262114

View attachment 1262115

Red line subway to City Hall and up to the Observation Deck

View attachment 1262116

View attachment 1262117

Red line to Hollywood for Shake Shack

View attachment 1262118

Blue Expo line to USC and The Collessium.
Back on the Expo line to Santa Monica

View attachment 1262121

Strolled from Santa Monica down to Venice

View attachment 1262122

View attachment 1262123

Uber to In'n'Oút Burger and sat in the park over the road and watched the birds come into land.

View attachment 1262125

10 minute walk to the terminal and waited for my upgrade to come through. Still waiting.
Yeah Santa Monica was the first place i ever went to in the states (had an 8 hour stopover at LAX) was lovely

I wonder what the general consensus (from USs or our) Pov as to what are the best v shittest states. Chicago1 Syd what are the US States everyone looks down on/laughs at. Like us with South Australia
Mississippi, Alabama
Since I come from Illinois : Wisconsin - cheeseheads
I personally hate Texas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back