Left of field potential draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Every year, there is always one or two players, that no-one (or very little) has or have heard of, that get drafted.

So, to kick off, I'll mention 2 players who will be given a careful eye on:

James Condos (Werribee)

This youngster has had an amazing 2 years. Prior to 2002, no-one in footy had really heard of him. A fine season in the WRFL in 2002, saw him receive that competition's rookie player of the year.

Werribee picked him up in 2003 and he has continued to grow as a player, finishing only behind David Mitchell, in Werribee's goalkicking this season.

Would be a player that a club, who requires a good small forward.

Nathan Lovett-Murray (Bendigo)

At 21, "Natrat" is an interesting prospect. Played as a tall half-back flanker for Bendigo this year and is currently, the Michael Long scholarship holder. Has had experience interstate as well.

A club requiring tall defenders might be interested

Originally posted by pazza

Nathan Lovett-Murray (Bendigo)

At 21, "Natrat" is an interesting prospect. Played as a tall half-back flanker for Bendigo this year and is currently, the Michael Long scholarship holder. Has had experience interstate as well.

A club requiring tall defenders might be interested

Was on the Collingwood rookie list for a year or two if my meomery serves me right.

Any other Pie fans care to confirm?

Agreed Bluemike.

There are probably a cast of thousands who may not have reached the Under 18's or the Teal Cup, who could easilty get a game. In many cases, those players are probably better physically prepared than the kids themselves, as they would have played senior footy as well and gained the physical development to play the game against the big bodied players.

It's just a shame that those involved in recruiting, don't necessarily get out to say the VMFL or VCFL games.

I'm going to pimp this guy to the moon over the next month or so.

Matty Burns - Dandenong Stingrays.

Kicked 6 goals from CHF in the curtain raiser to Brisbane/Collingwood the other night.

Great footballer/athlete and a top bloke too. :D

I would like to know if anyone thinks that wafl leading goal kicker Brad Smith would have any chance of being drafted. Turns 25 next year . Geelong, the dogs or west coast may show some interest.

Originally posted by pazza
James Condos (Werribee)

This youngster has had an amazing 2 years. Prior to 2002, no-one in footy had really heard of him. A fine season in the WRFL in 2002, saw him receive that competition's rookie player of the year.

Werribee picked him up in 2003 and he has continued to grow as a player, finishing only behind David Mitchell, in Werribee's goalkicking this season.

Would be a player that a club, who requires a good small forward.

Id love to get jimmy at the doggies, even if its just at a rookie, ive been watching him this year, and he gets better every game i see him play.

sanfl reserves always seem to have a diamond or two in the rough, last year it was matty lokan and blokes like byron pickett have been drafted from there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett Jones - Claremont

I saw a game of his a couple of weeks back on Fox Footy in the WAFL. As you can see, I dont purport myself to be a draft expert. I saw Brett playing in the backline in this game, and while he didnt shine, I saw some real quality in him. I don't know how old he is (he could be 19 or 29 for all I know), but he is my draft smoky.

Has anyone else seen him or heard anything about him?

Originally posted by Hosko
got anything more thorough than this? sounds ok

Son of Michael.

On the hawks rookie list for a couple years. Didn't make it. Had some health problems if I recall. Good to hear he's going alright.

Other smokeys: Doug Scott (son of Don) or Steve Kenna. Both from Box Hill.

Ill give you guys a ripper.
A bloke who plays for Coburg Tigers and made VFL team of the year, also a former West Sydney Razorback NBL player Leigh Carlson.
He will be picked up by Richmond at the end of the season i have no doubts at all.
Has anyone seen him play this year??? id like to get a bit of a feedback from some people on him, i think he is 23 now.

cheers

Re: Nathan Lovett

Originally posted by NICK THE PIE MAN
Nathan Lovett-Murray was on the Collingwood rookie list for a year or two if my meomery serves me right.

Any other Pie fans care to confirm?

Nathan Lovett-Murray was on Collingwood's rookie list last year. They didn't renew his contract, so he went back to his hometwon of Heywood for the year. In April, Michael Long called him up to the Bendigo squad, and he's stayed there ever since.

Handy flanker-wingman type, needs more bulk if he wants to make it at AFL level.

Brad Smith who plays for Subiaco is not the same Brad Smith who played for Collingwood. He played in the WA v SA state game a few months ago if any of you saw it. He has kicked about 90 goals in the WAFL this year. Medhurst was recruited from the WAFL after kicking about 75 in the WAFL so he may go. Wouldn't mind him at the Eagles. A player from the WAFL who should definately get drafted is Michael Johnson from Perth.

Originally posted by tige19
Ill give you guys a ripper.
A bloke who plays for Coburg Tigers and made VFL team of the year, also a former West Sydney Razorback NBL player Leigh Carlson.
He will be picked up by Richmond at the end of the season i have no doubts at all.
Has anyone seen him play this year??? id like to get a bit of a feedback from some people on him, i think he is 23 now.

cheers

Leigh Carlson was probably better last season and overlooked. Dean Talbot has been better than Carlson these past 2 years and also overlooked. Carlson is 25 now, 26 before the new season.

I would be surprised if he was taken. Basically to make it as a defender in the AFL 185cm isn't enough for a key position. And to be a running-flanker type you need great pace and a good accuracte and penetrative kick.

Yep Tim Inkster is a great player....I didnt realise he was 24...thought he was about 19 20...but that doesnt matter...he is more than capable of playing AFL...crows should go for him, delist ronnie burns and gain Timmy :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back