Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the intent may have been right, the execution of it was poor. Keep his arms in and block his run and Jonah would be playing this weekend.

And 'execution poor' is vastly different to "bloody hell ya bloody drongoweh [three syllables] you're a bloody disgrace who should've got 9 months and yes I would kick him out of bed for fartin' the bloody dickhead crikey moses".

We bemoan our players not playing on the edge and we crucify them when they occasionally go over.

Yeah it was off the ball - which was the reason for the 'intentional' grading that nailed on the 2 weeks by default regardless - but the ball was imminently coming.

The Dogs had been drilling it long down that line all day and that's exactly why Dahlhaus was motoring, to either get to the fall of the forthcoming roost, or be 30 metres in the clear Betts-style, dice-rolling on his teammates winning the contest so he could get on the end of the second kick.

As Ford said, they're instructed to block goalside. The inference/accusation that Jonas was headhunting off the ball unnecessarily is bollocky.

And 'execution poor' is vastly different to "bloody hell ya bloody drongoweh [three syllables] you're a bloody disgrace who should've got 9 months and yes I would kick him out of bed for fartin' the bloody dickhead crikey moses".

We bemoan our players not playing on the edge and we crucify them when they occasionally go over.

Yeah it was off the ball - which was the reason for the 'intentional' grading that nailed on the 2 weeks by default regardless - but the ball was imminently coming.

The Dogs had been drilling it long down that line all day and that's exactly why Dahlhaus was motoring, to either get to the fall of the forthcoming roost, or be 30 metres in the clear Betts-style, dice-rolling on his teammates winning the contest so he could get on the end of the second kick.

As Ford said, they're instructed to block goalside. The inference/accusation that Jonas was headhunting off the ball unnecessarily is bollocky.
Well bloody said!

Okay, I have been holding off on this ... but this sensible post from Schulzenfest has persuaded me to start the fingertips working.
There are things that have happened over the past couple of years with regard to China and the Club that, often, only I know about. I'm not supposed to tell you about them due to confidentiality, but there are times when I feel that I should kick confidentiality into touch for the sake of the Club. This is one such time. Also I blew the confidentiality some time ago by mentioning on BF the first stage of this event not long after it happened.

Such events make me angry. Not just disappointed - angry. I take things far too seriously, far too personally.

The Jonas exercise, misjudgements in administration of the China operation (often just human error but not always), rejection by the Club of well-meant advice based on 46 years China experience, failure to seek advice early when it has been clearly needed i.e. the Suns wearing red right from the start in Shanghai, something that should never have been raised let alone allowed to become an issue. Enough examples.

I'm on the wrong side of 70 as you know and each day the slope gets more slippery, and my mood slips along with it and my posts tend to become narkier. Example yesterday on another thread. I got called out on my tone, and I've told myself to wear that. In future I'll do my best to do a Fagan and seek balance. Oops.

Tom was suspended for six weeks last year. He deserved no less than four. The Club mounted a daft defence if any, and Tom was loaded into the trumbrill, trussed up, and rolled off to the guillotine.
The Club took such pity on him - not for his dumb act, but because they could do no better. They sent him on a junket to China to make him feel better.
I protested my arse off. Reward a player, a member of the leadership group, with an expenses paid international service exercise, perceived by others as a holiday, just because he's getting bored running idle laps for six weeks as his penalty for a dumb act? Would Big Bob condone that? Would Jack? Would Bucky? Would the Great Man? No way. But they are the Old Port Adelaide. They are of the thinking that time for an on field crime has to be done full time, not mitigated or discounted because we happen to need a poster boy in China for a promo event.
This however is the New Port Adelaide. Some call it the Vanilla Port Adelaide. It drives me nuts ... which comes out in my writing. Sorry about that. I'm working on it. Doubling the PTSD medication might help.

Now, what happened? Tom flew home with a dodgy hamstring no doubt induced by the hiatus in his training schedule and did not play again in 2016. Not much cop, you might say as he was playing crap ... sorry, badly.

This year he's playing well enough to gain selection for the AA squad. He's the best on field he's ever been. He's learnt his lesson. He's learnt how to be a leader on field. He's been educated by his six week suspension, and he's seen how much he owes the Club for not only his error of judgement on field but for the Club's forbearance in breaking up the monotony of his six weeks out by sending him on that junket. Let's just put the hamstring in the unfortunate category. Never again will Tom transgress. He owes too much to too many, including all the Port members and supporters and Port readers and posters here.

He's learnt his lesson, right? He'll never do anything stupidly unnecessary on the field again, right? Especially when Port are about to play finals and he is a vital cog in the defence.

Moral of this story? Clubs who turn vanilla do not realise the danger inside the can of worms they are opening.

Tom's lesson last year was softened by the Club going erroneously soft on him.

Tom Jonas has responded by biting the Club on its vanilla arse ... sorry, bum.

A late famous Brazilian diplomat and politician, Roberto Campos, used to say that his 70th birthday was the most depressing day of his life:

— From that day on, I would never be a SEXagenarian no more...

Last edited:

I was going to say something like that but now I'm glad I waited. :D

Absolutely agree

You haven't been able to argue that running patterns 50 metres off the ball constitute in play since Barry Hall hit Matt Maguire in the 2005 preliminary final and used that argument to clear his name and play in the grand final. In play means the ball is imminently being contested.

The central issue here isn't the block. The central issue is that he raised his arm and hit Dahlhaus high. That is the unavoidable fact here. It was not a legal block, it was unnecessary head high contact.

You haven't been able to argue that running patterns 50 metres off the ball constitute in play since Barry Hall hit Matt Maguire in the 2005 preliminary final and used that argument to clear his name and play in the grand final. In play means the ball is imminently being contested.

The central issue here isn't the block. The central issue is that he raised his arm and hit Dahlhaus high. That is the unavoidable fact here. It was not a legal block, it was unnecessary head high contact.
The argument may not stand up in the MRP for things like this, but it certainly applies to the game as a whole and still needs to be done.
He missed, big deal.

I want to change tact here for my Wednesday whinge

Jarrod Walsh. The PAFC Ground Announcer.

Can you stop with the ******* "Everyone come on, get up, Stand up and sing it loud and proud! It's your NTUA song", etc, etc.

We don't need prompting to sing the song. Let the music start and let the fans continue to do it on their own.

It drives me insane when that guy yells that stuff out. Like we need prompting and are incapable of doing it on our own. It was always been an organic thing and it never needed assistance, so stop interfering with it and trying to turn it into something that feels like a chore.

#wednesdaywhinge

Can you stop with the ******* "Everyone come on, get up, Stand up and sing it loud and proud! It's your NTUA song", etc, etc.

We don't need prompting to sing the song. Let the music start and let the fans continue to do it on their own.

It drives me insane when that guy yells that stuff out. Like we need prompting and are incapable of doing it on our own. It was always been an organic thing and it never needed assistance, so stop interfering with it and trying to turn it into something that feels like a chore.

#wednesdaywhinge
they've also been playing it too loud this year. You can't hear anyone sing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#wednesdaywhinge
I just wish that guy would stfu altogether.

#wednesdaywhinge
Any time an announcer does anything but name the teams gives me the shits!
Shut up you annoying screeching pain in the ears.

Okay, I have been holding off on this ... but this sensible post from Schulzenfest has persuaded me to start the fingertips working.
There are things that have happened over the past couple of years with regard to China and the Club that, often, only I know about. I'm not supposed to tell you about them due to confidentiality, but there are times when I feel that I should kick confidentiality into touch for the sake of the Club. This is one such time. Also I blew the confidentiality some time ago by mentioning on BF the first stage of this event not long after it happened.

Such events make me angry. Not just disappointed - angry. I take things far too seriously, far too personally.

The Jonas exercise, misjudgements in administration of the China operation (often just human error but not always), rejection by the Club of well-meant advice based on 46 years China experience, failure to seek advice early when it has been clearly needed i.e. the Suns wearing red right from the start in Shanghai, something that should never have been raised let alone allowed to become an issue. Enough examples.

I'm on the wrong side of 70 as you know and each day the slope gets more slippery, and my mood slips along with it and my posts tend to become narkier. Example yesterday on another thread. I got called out on my tone, and I've told myself to wear that. In future I'll do my best to do a Fagan and seek balance. Oops.

Tom was suspended for six weeks last year. He deserved no less than four. The Club mounted a daft defence if any, and Tom was loaded into the trumbrill, trussed up, and rolled off to the guillotine.
The Club took such pity on him - not for his dumb act, but because they could do no better. They sent him on a junket to China to make him feel better.
I protested my arse off. Reward a player, a member of the leadership group, with an expenses paid international service exercise, perceived by others as a holiday, just because he's getting bored running idle laps for six weeks as his penalty for a dumb act? Would Big Bob condone that? Would Jack? Would Bucky? Would the Great Man? No way. But they are the Old Port Adelaide. They are of the thinking that time for an on field crime has to be done full time, not mitigated or discounted because we happen to need a poster boy in China for a promo event.
This however is the New Port Adelaide. Some call it the Vanilla Port Adelaide. It drives me nuts ... which comes out in my writing. Sorry about that. I'm working on it. Doubling the PTSD medication might help.

Now, what happened? Tom flew home with a dodgy hamstring no doubt induced by the hiatus in his training schedule and did not play again in 2016. Not much cop, you might say as he was playing crap ... sorry, badly.

This year he's playing well enough to gain selection for the AA squad. He's the best on field he's ever been. He's learnt his lesson. He's learnt how to be a leader on field. He's been educated by his six week suspension, and he's seen how much he owes the Club for not only his error of judgement on field but for the Club's forbearance in breaking up the monotony of his six weeks out by sending him on that junket. Let's just put the hamstring in the unfortunate category. Never again will Tom transgress. He owes too much to too many, including all the Port members and supporters and Port readers and posters here.

He's learnt his lesson, right? He'll never do anything stupidly unnecessary on the field again, right? Especially when Port are about to play finals and he is a vital cog in the defence.

Moral of this story? Clubs who turn vanilla do not realise the danger inside the can of worms they are opening.

Stay safe LR. There's a massive storm brewing.

anyone know how Chen is playing in the sanfl magoos? Any real ability?

Love your posts LR!

I know the B&F has a system and all but I am hoping that Ryder wins it pretty easily. We win and lose games because of him. I think we'd have a bottom 8 midfield if they weren't being given a silver platter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back