Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the 1st quarter of the 07 gf for the 1st time ever, God did Ebert miss a lot of easy chances and was very little pressure on either team transitioning the ball .

Apart from the 04 heroes we had a very mediocre team , fogot how average our squad was , all our good players minus our midfield could bearly run .

Hopefully watching this horror show breaks our curse since that day lol

Also Hinkley had hair and was skinny lol

What's "time on"?
Its a bit meaningless these days - to look at scores in time on - at AFL level anyway. A bit of a history lesson GP.

In the old days pre the 1994 rule change, a quarter used to be 25 minutes plus time on and time keepers would record the time added on - just like in soccer. But a normal quarter where both sides kicked about 3 or 4 goals each, would normally go about 28 to 30 minutes.

When a goal was kicked the boundary umpires would quickly run the ball back to the middle of the ground and the central umpire would bounce it straight away. If the umpire called for a ball up after a stoppage, the clock kept ticking. If the ball went out of bounds, the central umpire blew his whistle time was added on, and the boundary umpire would quickly throw the ball in. Plus there weren't as many stoppages as the modern game. So the umpires rarely blew time on.

So unless an incident happened where the umpire wanted to talk to a player, the only time the time keepers added time on was when the umpire blew his whistle after a goal was scored and that time until the central umpire bounced the ball, when the umpire blew his whistle to say its out of bounds until a throw in, and if a player took a mark and put the ball on the ground or the umpire came in and pushed him around on his correct angle.

1994 the rule changed to 20 minutes but there are more stoppages of play now days. The TV broadcasters wanted 30 seconds between goals to show an ad and the umpire had to wait to get a signal before he could bounce the ball. One of the broadcasters last decade pushed it out to 40 seconds, so since about 2010 its been a 45 second break between when the goal umpire sticks up his fingers and the umpire moves in to bounce the ball, which means the broadcaster can show a 30 second add and 10 second highlight of the goal being scored. In the old days those boundary umpires would rush to get the ball back to the centre and it might only mean a 15-18 second break between goal kicked and centre bounce.

Around 2007 after commentator Dennis Cometti used to complain heavily that players would just force ball up after ball up when it was close in the last quarter to kill time and it was wrong, the rule was changed and now when players wrestle for the ball the umpire blows his whistle time on is added until he bounces the ball.

The bottom line a quarter where 3 or 4 goals is kicked by both sides now take about 32-34 minutes for a 20 minute quarter.

So before a 25 minute quarter would go 28-30 minutes, now for exactly the same play a 20 minute quarter will go 32-34 minutes.

So before if you said Port this season on average have let thru 1 goal 2 behinds in time on, that meant something useful. Now 1.2 would be meaningless because that 1.2 might take 13 minutes of actual time or 8 minutes of game time because at the 20 minute mark maybe only 12 minutes of game time has elapsed

It used to be called red time because before electronic scoreboards there used to be a big clock at the ground and the area after 25 minutes (ie 5 on the clock face) was marked in red and the area for the first 25 minutes was marked in white.

Also physically the time keepers would have a stop watch and add time on, based on the umpires signal, now they hit a button and stop the count down clock to effectively add time on.

The other thing that would confuse you, is that on the TV screen you see a countdown clock, That only came in around late 1990's or 2000. At the ground you only have a clock showing how long the quarter has gone not a countdown clock.

Its a quirk from a simpler time. People say they don't want the countdown clock at the ground and the AFL get worried that if you have a countdown clock players will deliberately watch the clock to kill time and not get scored against.

So as you watch a game if you see an umpire blow his whistle and hold his hand up, then time is being added on or the clock is stopped by the time keepers, until the umpire blows his whistle again and raises his hand again.

Last edited:
I've reversed my decision to boycott. My Port Adelaide is bigger and better than any individual. I'll continue to support my club. I'll reserve my right to be annoyed. But the club is way bigger than any individual. Even Fos. God is not bigger than Port Adelaide.

I will support my club. Until I die.

View attachment 727383

Found the following chart on Twitter. The way I read it, We currently have the two best one on one defenders statistically in Clurey and Jonas.

Surely Clurey has a look in for the AA squad as he’s also been involved in the second most contests.

Note, the bottom axis is number of one on ones.
nekminnit

#justportthings

Its a bit meaningless these days - to look at scores in time on - at AFL level anyway. A bit of a history lesson GP.

In the old days pre the 1994 rule change, a quarter used to be 25 minutes plus time on and time keepers would record the time added on - just like in soccer. But a normal quarter where both sides kicked about 3 or 4 goals each, would normally go about 28 to 30 minutes.

When a goal was kicked the boundary umpires would quickly run the ball back to the middle of the ground and the central umpire would bounce it straight away. If the umpire called for a ball up after a stoppage, the clock kept ticking. If the ball went out of bounds, the central umpire blew his whistle time was added on, and the boundary umpire would quickly throw the ball in. Plus there weren't as many stoppages as the modern game. So the umpires rarely blew time on.

So unless an incident happened where the umpire wanted to talk to a player, the only time the time keepers added time on was when the umpire blew his whistle after a goal was scored and that time until the central umpire bounced the ball, when the umpire blew his whistle to say its out of bounds until a throw in, and if a player took a mark and put the ball on the ground or the umpire came in and pushed him around on his correct angle.

1994 the rule changed to 20 minutes but there are more stoppages of play now days. The TV broadcasters wanted 30 seconds between goals to show an ad and the umpire had to wait to get a signal before he could bounce the ball. One of the broadcasters last decade pushed it out to 40 seconds, so since about 2010 its been a 45 second break between when the goal umpire sticks up his fingers and the umpire moves in to bounce the ball, which means the broadcaster can show a 30 second add and 10 second highlight of the goal being scored. In the old days those boundary umpires would rush to get the ball back to the centre and it might only mean a 15-18 second break between goal kicked and centre bounce.

Around 2007 after commentator Dennis Cometti used to complain heavily that players would just force ball up after ball up when it was close in the last quarter to kill time and it was wrong, the rule was changed and now when players wrestle for the ball the umpire blows his whistle time on is added until he bounces the ball.

The bottom line a quarter where 3 or 4 goals is kicked by both sides now take about 32-34 minutes for a 20 minute quarter.

So before a 25 minute quarter would go 28-30 minutes, now for exactly the same play a 20 minute quarter will go 32-34 minutes.

So before if you said Port this season on average have let thru 1 goal 2 behinds in time on, that meant something useful. Now 1.2 would be meaningless because that 1.2 might take 13 minutes of actual time or 8 minutes of game time because at the 20 minute mark maybe only 12 minutes of game time has elapsed

It used to be called red time because before electronic scoreboards there used to be a big clock at the ground and the area after 25 minutes (ie 5 on the clock face) was marked in red and the area for the first 25 minutes was marked in white.

Also physically the time keepers would have a stop watch and add time on, based on the umpires signal, now they hit a button and stop the count down clock to effectively add time on.

The other thing that would confuse you, is that on the TV screen you see a countdown clock, That only came in around late 1990's or 2000. At the ground you only have a clock showing how long the quarter has gone not a countdown clock.

Its a quirk from a simpler time. People say they don't want the countdown clock at the ground and the AFL get worried that if you have a countdown clock players will deliberately watch the clock to kill time and not get scored against.

So as you watch a game if you see an umpire blow his whistle and hold his hand up, then time is being added on or the clock is stopped by the time keepers, until the umpire blows his whistle again and raises his hand again.
A great example of why I love this board. I've been following AFL 15 years and I had no idea of this history. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share, REH.

I did post this on another thread. The rollover of player salaries. My bet is that we are running the risk of spending under the salary cap minimum next year and we need to rollover spend to reach the minimum. We must be planning to lose a few highly paid players, and we are not chasing a big fish. Yes, we have no money.

Geez we appear to be failing in all areas, on field, player management, financial.
Ah well Kochie ‘s wife will be happy that we are making our community so proud. Time we just forget the footy altogether and turn into a charity.
Can’t remember when I have ever felt this disappointed in PAFC or concerned about our current or future path almost to the point of despondency.

Can't really see a better place to put this but fantastic podcast from the Herald Sun via Jon Ralph. SACKED | Mark Williams - The Power to win.
All the stuff we heard about with Choco at Port, and a bit more. Some of it still like a punch in the guts but still so worth hearing. Amazing stories post-Port.

Can't really see a better place to put this but fantastic podcast from the Herald Sun via Jon Ralph. SACKED | Mark Williams - The Power to win.
All the stuff we heard about with Choco at Port, and a bit more. Some of it still like a punch in the guts but still so worth hearing. Amazing stories post-Port.
Why would Williams bring up these stories now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Williams bring up these stories now?
He has agreed to appear on 'SACKED', I imagine if shows like that and Open Mike weren't around Choco wouldn't have been actively looking for a pulpit. A huge amount of what he says is already known in some fashion, Choco is mostly just fleshing stuff out. But the stuff about Port haemorrhaging good people after 2004, and Alistair Clarkson stripping a lot of those people away is confronting. Especially as Choco lists the names and roles.

Last edited:
He has agreed to appear on 'SACKED', I imagine if shows like that and Open Mike weren't around Choco wouldn't have been actively looking for a pulpit. A huge amount of what he says is already known in some fashion, Choco is mostly just fleshing stuff out. But the stuff about Port haemorrhaging good people after 2004, and Alistair Clarkson stripping a lot of those people away is confronting as Choco lists the names.
Thank you for explaining this story. Sometimes I think Williams talks too much.

A great example of why I love this board. I've been following AFL 15 years and I had no idea of this history. Thanks for taking the time and effort to share, REH.
Part of the reason I took the time is that I am getting pissed off how long the game goes for now, with such less scoring.

We have 4 boundaries umpires now. When there were 2, they just pick up the ball set themselves and threw it in and time on would be blown for about 10 seconds. Now they get there, they look around, make sure the ruckmen are there as they have to wait for them to get there especially if they have all pressed up the ground, talk to the central umpire and stick up their hands and say - I'm the ruckman for this contest etc. So now 20-25 seconds is regularly added on.

The bloody score review, blood rule, the ambulance coming on and once its on players have to come off on it, more stoppages where the umpire has to wait until they work out who is allowed to ruck etc means there is a lot of dead time.

An 80 minute game is now taking close to 140 minutes to play (then add breaks between quarters). Its too long given less goals are being scored than 5-10-20 years ago.

Last edited:
Having Clarkson as assistant bit us on the ass really he pretty much just took our best staff & screwed us.

I listened to podcast, it is a little sad and misses a lot of context but why let facts get in the way of his “me” story. Talks way too much and shows massive naivety and self centricity.
I haven't listened to it but i can't imagine that Chocolate would be too self reflective about his role in his own demise. It's just not him to blame himself. He reminds me of another narcissistic, stubborn Port Adelaide coach.

I'd be curious if Kock ever saw that clock at Alberton. I'm curious if he ever even attended a game at Alberton before he was Chairman

He has agreed to appear on 'SACKED', I imagine if shows like that and Open Mike weren't around Choco wouldn't have been actively looking for a pulpit. A huge amount of what he says is already known in some fashion, Choco is mostly just fleshing stuff out. But the stuff about Port haemorrhaging good people after 2004, and Alistair Clarkson stripping a lot of those people away is confronting as Choco lists the names.
People leave companies due to their manager. Alan Stewart ran away from him, Pelchen was an AFL disaster, Clarko got the gig and took fitness guy, Mick Moylan went to recruiting and Dimma went from plying to coaching with Clarko and Walsh could not be in the coaches box any more with the premiership coach ego.

Choco was great but completely lost the plot and all this could have, should have, excuse, excuse we had nothing s**t is a complete abdication if accountability and leadership. Anyone can say we tried to get recruiting people from other clubs but great people attract great people.

I wish him luck but his track record looks like no one wants to work with him

Sadly the podcast reveals he has no ability to be a leader who inspires and attracts others. It is all “me” stuff.

I'd be curious if Kock ever saw that clock at Alberton. I'm curious if he ever even attended a game at Alberton before he was Chairman
He reckons he attended his first game when he was a few weeks old. He lived in Adelaide until he was 14 and regularly would go to Alberton and other grounds. Post 1970 when the family moved to Sydney he talks about coming back home to stay with grandparents during school holidays and going to the footy. After that who knows how many time he would have visited the ground in the next 35-40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back