Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OT but the wording on that water bottle is cringe worthy :$

View attachment 445082

Poké - there is no accent over the "e" in any Japanese romanisation scheme (romaji) I am aware of. "e" is as in "bet", Japanese "i" is "ee" as in "bee". The word is ポケ (Hawaiian raw-fish salad) romanised as "poke". That's "po" as in "pot" and "ke" as in "kettle".
#konnichiwater :$ :$ - although pronounced "wa" it is the particle "ha" so in rōmaji it is "konnichiha" (今日は), so it would be konnichi "hater" not "water". :eek:

On the plus side at least they put a double "n" in "konnichiha" as using a single "n" is another common rookie mistake. :thumbsu:

I realise that this is a franchise and I am not suggesting that the Port boys involved are in anyway responsible for whatever the Japanese -> English version of Janglish is.
Probably taken directly from this
1200px-International_Pok%C3%A9mon_logo.svg.png

Probably taken directly from this
1200px-International_Pok%C3%A9mon_logo.svg.png
I had never noticed that. :$

Goes to show that I have been able to completely ignore Pocket Monsters and everything associated with them.

Also i was always taught that は in Konnichiwa (こんにちは or in kanji 今日は) becomes a wa sound instead of the usual ha sound.
Pretty sure that is what I posted. :)
... although pronounced "wa" it is the particle "ha" so in rōmaji it is "konnichiha" (今日は) ...
今日は is literally "as for today" as the は particle is the topic marker in a sentence.

"konnichwa" is still incorrect romanisation.

Summo will now be able to play every SNAFL league game regardless of the number of AFL listed players available. :thumbsu:

From today's The Advertiser;

"STEVEN Summerton will be eligible to play in every Port Adelaide league game in 2018 after a SANFL rule change. ... The SANFL announced it had changed its rule and both the Port and Crows reserves teams would be able to field one marquee contracted player – such as Summerton – in every match.

SANFL football general manger Adam Kelly said former stipulation had not contemplated all 21 AFL-listed players would be available ..." :rolleyes:

Interesting also that it was presented by the SANFL and not the SA Patriotic League, which is what i thought it was called during the two world wars. Not sure if the SANFL count this in their official list of premierships?
No they don't count them. The SANFL would say they were running the Patriotic League and thats why they have their name on the plaque. I don't know what they handed out before 1942 but I suspect it was different to that type of shield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That awkward moment that you remember that your Grandmother lived in Thebarton at one stage as a kid & briefly barracked for West Torrens before seeing sense and switching to Port....its scary to think I could potentially have become a West Torrens, WWT and Crows supporter.

West Torrens!! I have more respect for South Adelaide than I do for that joke of a club, who in the end killed off a perfectly profitable Woodville FC.

Summo will now be able to play every SNAFL league game regardless of the number of AFL listed players available. :thumbsu:

From today's The Advertiser;

"STEVEN Summerton will be eligible to play in every Port Adelaide league game in 2018 after a SANFL rule change. ... The SANFL announced it had changed its rule and both the Port and Crows reserves teams would be able to field one marquee contracted player – such as Summerton – in every match.

SANFL football general manger Adam Kelly said former stipulation had not contemplated all 21 AFL-listed players would be available ..." :rolleyes:
I wonder what we gave up to get this change?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Fairly good assessment from Ro-Co

http://www.footyology.com.au/tale-of-the-tape-for-your-afl-team-in-2018-port-adelaide/

Tale of the tape for your AFL team in 2018: Port Adelaide

THE STRENGTHS
Balance. Best reflected in the fact Port Adelaide finished last season ranked both second for points scored AND fewest points conceded. Sydney, the only other team to better them defensively, ranked only fifth offensively, and Adelaide (first for points scored) were only fourth defensively. The Power also finished first on differentials by some margin for inside 50 entries, and were high enough for both contested ball and clearances.

THE WEAKNESSES
Maturity. Certainly not in terms of age (Port will have the fifth-oldest list in 2018) or games played (second most-experienced), but in attitude. That was reflected in a sorry scoreline of 2-7 against fellow top eight teams last season, though five of those losses were by 17 points or less. But closing the deal was a repeated issue, obviously costliest in that post-siren defeat to West Coast in the elimination final. The Power tended to win big against the poorer teams, creeping dangerously close to that dreaded “flat track bully” tag. A bigger shot of resilience would go a long way next season.

Fairly good assessment from Ro-Co

http://www.footyology.com.au/tale-of-the-tape-for-your-afl-team-in-2018-port-adelaide/

Tale of the tape for your AFL team in 2018: Port Adelaide

THE STRENGTHS
Balance. Best reflected in the fact Port Adelaide finished last season ranked both second for points scored AND fewest points conceded. Sydney, the only other team to better them defensively, ranked only fifth offensively, and Adelaide (first for points scored) were only fourth defensively. The Power also finished first on differentials by some margin for inside 50 entries, and were high enough for both contested ball and clearances.

THE WEAKNESSES
Maturity. Certainly not in terms of age (Port will have the fifth-oldest list in 2018) or games played (second most-experienced), but in attitude. That was reflected in a sorry scoreline of 2-7 against fellow top eight teams last season, though five of those losses were by 17 points or less. But closing the deal was a repeated issue, obviously costliest in that post-siren defeat to West Coast in the elimination final. The Power tended to win big against the poorer teams, creeping dangerously close to that dreaded “flat track bully” tag. A bigger shot of resilience would go a long way next season.
Very good article, so will read the rest of his team discussions.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder what we gave up to get this change?
We didn't have to give up anything.

This comment from the SNAFL is quite telling;

"[The SNAFL] had not contemplated all 21 AFL-listed players would be available"

The SNAFL failed to consider all of the obvious scenarios when originally making the rule (no surprises there) which resulted in the embarrassing situation of a SNAFL 200 gamer and Port Adelaide Magpies' captain having to play in the reserves. Not a good look for the "second best Aussie Rules competition in the known universe" :rolleyes:. They ended up with a bad case of egg on face. They are changing the rule, which applies equally to both Ports and the Crows, purely to avoid future occurrences of a situation which highlights just what a poorly run organisation they are.

We didn't have to give up anything.

This comment from the SNAFL is quite telling;

"[The SNAFL] had not contemplated all 21 AFL-listed players would be available"

The SNAFL failed to consider all of the obvious scenarios when originally making the rule (no surprises there) which resulted in the embarrassing situation of a SNAFL 200 gamer and Port Adelaide Magpies' captain having to play in the reserves. Not a good look for the "second best Aussie Rules competition in the known universe" :rolleyes:. They ended up with a bad case of egg on face. They are changing the rule, which applies equally to both Ports and the Crows, purely to avoid future occurrences of a situation which highlights just what a poorly run organisation they are.

The Slightly Amusing National Football League

Andrew Hunter talking sports diplomacy with India after the 2 PM's signed a Memorandum of Understanding on sports between the two governments earlier this year. He gives a few non Oz v India examples, mentions footy in China and says the AFL is looking at footy and India. This was written for an Indian think tank journal, so that's why Port isn't mentioned other than in his job title.

I suspect DFAT and DPM&C will consult with Andrew down the track as they try to develop it further

http://southasiamonitor.org/news/sp...new-bridges-of-friendship-with-india/sl/26125

Andrew Hunter talking sports diplomacy with India after the 2 PM's signed a Memorandum of Understanding on sports between the two governments earlier this year. He gives a few non Oz v India examples, mentions footy in China and says the AFL is looking at footy and India. This was written for an Indian think tank journal, so that's why Port isn't mentioned other than in his job title.

I suspect DFAT and DPM&C will consult with Andrew down the track as they try to develop it further

http://southasiamonitor.org/news/sp...new-bridges-of-friendship-with-india/sl/26125
As long as they don't poach him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back