News Liam Jones retires from AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam's not a bad guy, I just hope his manager sits him down and has a chat to him.
He's clearly gone down a mis-information rabbit-hole.
I know a few who have done this, and sadly their impulse is usually to burrow further.

I’ve noticed a few recently pivot to ‘I’ll take Novovax because it’s a real vaccine’, so maybe he’ll use that as a face saving way out.

Otherwise he’s cooked.

Would his team mates and supporters want him back? Genuine question. Of all the things you could say about decision like this at its core it’s incredibly selfish. It’s a team game.
I suspect Sam Docherty would need to keep his distance.

is there a difference between catching covid from a vaccinated person versus a un-vaccinated person

everyone should do the right thing and get vaxxed but should this be a justification for specific type of discrimination? I'm not so sure.

They say never judge a book by it's cover, but I took one look at Liam Jones and thought "this one's stupid".
Just saying.

No one should be forced to do anything they choose not to
He's not being forced - he has a choice - if he wants to play AFL he has to fulfil certain criteria. If he chooses not to get vaxxed then he no longer meets the criteria. Its like every job and most things in life - you have to fulfil criteria to do certain things, even before covid - rules and regulations are in place for reasons.

Is it fair and legal to impose this criteria - maybe not, lots of lawyers will be making lots of money debating this over the coming years. But it is in his personal interest (even if he doesn't realise this) and the public interest for players to be vaxxed - so there is a greater good there which should override one person's presumably selfish stand

i've gathered it's mostly about the odds - greater chance unvaxxed get it and greater chance they pass it on

But surely that’s the responsibility of the third person to get vaccinated?

We probably all accept catching covid at some stage is the new normal? Sensible people will get vaccinated to reduce the impact of the disease.

But surely that’s the responsibility of the third person to get vaccinated?

We probably all accept catching covid at some stage is the new normal? Sensible people will get vaccinated to reduce the impact of the disease.
If you are vaccinated you are less likely to acquire it, though you still can. If you don‘t acquire it you can’t pass it on. Certainly there will be transmission amongst the vaxxed, but it will be slower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?
He's refusing to do something his employer has requested which is within their rights to do

He's being instructed to undergo an unnecessary medial procedure. He is well within his rights to decline.

That should not absolve Carlton (or the AFL) of fulfilling their contract with him.

He wouldn't be entitled to the match day payments or any bonuses, but his base contract should be expected to be paid out as a minimum.

No one should be forced to do anything they choose not to. It's going to cost him his career but thats his choice. He's probably only got a year left anyway. If he was a recent draftee you'd hope someone would sit him down and talk to him but he's a 31 y.o man with a year or two to go.
I wish I had your life...most of my life is spent doing things I would prefer doing something else eg work, mowing lawns painting taxi driver for kids etc etc even have to blow into breathalyzer now and then. Fck I'm not allowed to speed in my car Not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liam's not a bad guy, I just hope his manager sits him down and has a chat to him.
He's clearly gone down a mis-information rabbit-hole.

Someone needs to tell him that choosing this path merits an automatic placement in the top ranks of your bottom 50 next year. Unless he become ineligible by forced retirement.

Nah, watching some of the garbage vitriol coming out of the mouths of the rabid pro-vaxxers they are just as unhinged as many of the people they are having a pop at.

I'm not scared at all, I'm double vaxxed and could not care less if someone doesn't want it nor will I judge them.

I'm part of the most normal group out there. Are you?

You can understand governments and for that matter organisations prioritising people who have done the right thing and got vaccinated. Will that mean for a period of time the unvaccinated are kept out, yes. They have the choice though. Eventually we will learn to live with and they won’t be kept out but I don’t blame governments and organisations with mandates right now.

As individuals you have a choice and it’s your choice

Wish something like the ending Gerard Butler’s character was hoping for in Law Abiding Citizen actually happened. Long term you’d find that we would all be so much better off and happier

He's being instructed to undergo an unnecessary medial procedure. He is well within his rights to decline.

That should not absolve Carlton (or the AFL) of fulfilling their contract with him.

He wouldn't be entitled to the match day payments or any bonuses, but his base contract should be expected to be paid out as a minimum.

It's required by the Victorian Government actually.

All the AFL and Carlton have to do as the employer is follow those rules.

Watch out for the rabid pro-vaxxers too. Next thing people who don't want a vaxx will start having symbols painted on their houses.

Reminds me of a time in Europe a while back and the fervour shown towards anyone who won't tow the party line.

Reminds you! Were you there? Some of my immediate family were, and alluding to it in your context is disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back