Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lions world going into 2019 as observed by Michael Whiting.

Listening to The latest Roar Deal podcast, interesting that Michael Whiting has been very impressed with Archie Smith during training and match simulations and thinks he is a realistic chance to oust Stef for a round 1 slot. He has Oscar as a lock for round 1 as the 3rd tall and relief ruck. Fish has also been impressed with Jarryd Lyons and sees him as a certainty for round 1, he's also liking the look of Ryan Bastinac on a wing.

Pressure on Dan McStay, Nick Robertson and Tom Cutler to hold their spots in the side.

Listening to The latest Roar Deal podcast, interesting that Michael Whiting has been very impressed with Archie Smith during training and match simulations and thinks he is a realistic chance to oust Stef for a round 1 slot. He has Oscar as a lock for round 1 as the 3rd tall and relief ruck. Fish has also been impressed with Jarryd Lyons and sees him as a certainty for round 1, he's also liking the look of Ryan Bastinac on a wing.

Pressure on Dan McStay, Nick Robertson and Tom Cutler to hold their spots in the side.

Felt that way during the opens training. Fumbled a bit, kicks missed the target by 10-20 metres.

He could very well find himself languishing in the reserves.

McStay is a better defender than Walker or Eagles. Might end up in the backline again.

If Stef is fit enough to play round 1, he will. Brings a lot more to the table than just his ruckwork. Thereafter, who's to say what will develop? But Archie will need to start taking some contested marks if he wants to be number one.

McStay is a better defender than Walker or Eagles. Might end up in the backline again.
That was mentioned but Fish is of the opinion that he doesn't see that happening as he has been training/playing in the forward line all off season.
If Stef is fit enough to play round 1, he will. Brings a lot more to the table than just his ruckwork. Thereafter, who's to say what will develop? But Archie will need to start taking some contested marks if he wants to be number one.
I agree, personally I can't see Archie taking Stef's spot, Fish thinks it's a possibility though.

That was mentioned but Fish is of the opinion that he doesn't see that happening as he has been training/playing in the forward line all off season.

I agree, personally I can't see Archie taking Stef's spot, Fish thinks it's a possibility though.
Yeah Steph plays, no question. Boy is a top three or four in the league that posie last year. If nothing has changed and it shouldn’t have then he’s a lock. I feel we really need to temper expectations on Lyons. Sorry to be a downer. Massive limitations and a one trick pony. Reality is a really ordinary side gave him away. If he was in the NFL he’d be great. But we can’t just get him in to extract it, call the whistle on a time out and get him off. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t have a lot of expectations. Having said that, I made a bet with a bloke the other day we make finals so I can see the improve, just not sure about Lyons.

Yeah Steph plays, no question. Boy is a top three or four in the league that posie last year. If nothing has changed and it shouldn’t have then he’s a lock. I feel we really need to temper expectations on Lyons. Sorry to be a downer. Massive limitations and a one trick pony. Reality is a really ordinary side gave him away. If he was in the NFL he’d be great. But we can’t just get him in to extract it, call the whistle on a time out and get him off. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t have a lot of expectations. Having said that, I made a bet with a bloke the other day we make finals so I can see the improve, just not sure about Lyons.
On the other hand, if Lyons extracts it and gets it out to someone else at the rate he has for the Suns, he gives us something we have sorely lacked. It's also possible we underrate him because he was in a poor side. I personally think and hope the Suns will regret offloading him.

I feel we really need to temper expectations on Lyons. Sorry to be a downer. Massive limitations and a one trick pony. Reality is a really ordinary side gave him away.
Fair enough. He's certainly not multidimensional, but was a good player in good side in Adelaide.

I see his exit from Gold coast more similarly Rocky leaving us. More to do with building a group and culture than the stricter science of whether he was good enough.

For us, he's a strict moneyball buy. About as sexy as a uteload of bricks from Bunnings, but he's 8 clearances that McCluggage, Rayner, Charlie and hippy can build on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guiding the young guys in the NEAFL, can't see him making the seniors unless we have a seriously bad injury run.
Yeah who knows what conversations have been had but you’d think he wants to back himself in to play senior footy and Fagan wouldn’t discourage that ambition

Guiding the young guys in the NEAFL, can't see him making the seniors unless we have a seriously bad injury run.
I reckon that has been said about Ryan for years now and yet he is one of those dependable players Fagan and before him, Leppa keep playing. There’s clearly a reason why he has been voted into the leadership team the past few years.

I’m not consigning Ryan to the NEAFL just yet regardless of how unsexy a player may be.

If we play a smaller line up, Lester’s ability to play a bit taller adds some value. If we go with the same taller structure as we did most often last year (2 rucks, 2 tall forwards, 3 tall defenders) then I think Lester probably has to miss out for team balance reasons. He played a bit in defence last year but it is hard to see how our most likely defensive group could be improved by playing him. The injuries could help him out there though. I don’t mind him as a third tall forward but we seem likely to play a tall forward line again so don’t think we can afford to play him there. Midfield is probably out of the question now too.

While it is true that Lester does often get a run when us fans don’t expect it, he also gets dropped a bit for a senior player. I wouldn’t rule him out of playing round 1 but it seems less likely than other outcomes.

It'll be interesting to see how the new 6-6-6 rule impacts things. there's been some commentary recently where clubs and players think that rule will favour strong centre bounce teams, so a guy like Lyons has the chance to add something really positive if that's the case. On the flip side, it's also been said that the extra space might provide more opportunities for midfielders who can take the ball from a stoppage and run with it, which obviously isn't his strength and may raise some issues defensively.

If we play a smaller line up, Lester’s ability to play a bit taller adds some value. If we go with the same taller structure as we did most often last year (2 rucks, 2 tall forwards, 3 tall defenders) then I think Lester probably has to miss out for team balance reasons. He played a bit in defence last year but it is hard to see how our most likely defensive group could be improved by playing him. The injuries could help him out there though. I don’t mind him as a third tall forward but we seem likely to play a tall forward line again so don’t think we can afford to play him there. Midfield is probably out of the question now too.

While it is true that Lester does often get a run when us fans don’t expect it, he also gets dropped a bit for a senior player. I wouldn’t rule him out of playing round 1 but it seems less likely than other outcomes.
The problem with him playing as a 3rd tall forward is that he doesn't really get many goals and he isn't quick so he doesn't provide that defensive pressure that teams need to keep it in the f50. I really don't know where l would play him but l think it is a mute point as there are probably players in front of him, especially with the additions of Lyons, Neale and McCarthy

It'll be interesting to see how the new 6-6-6 rule impacts things. there's been some commentary recently where clubs and players think that rule will favour strong centre bounce teams, so a guy like Lyons has the chance to add something really positive if that's the case. On the flip side, it's also been said that the extra space might provide more opportunities for midfielders who can take the ball from a stoppage and run with it, which obviously isn't his strength and may raise some issues defensively.
He isn't quick but we have guys like Berry, Zorko, Neale, Cutler who are decent to good pace even McCluggage has a bit of toe. Definitly a spot for him if he can be the main extractor to the guys on the outside.

Really don't know why they continue to change the rules. The only sport l know where they change it every single year.

He isn't quick but we have guys like Berry, Zorko, Neale, Cutler who are decent to good pace even McCluggage has a bit of toe. Definitly a spot for him if he can be the main extractor to the guys on the outside.

Really don't know why they continue to change the rules. The only sport l know where they change it every single year.

Yep. AFL: "We're delighted to announce another year of record memberships, attendances and fan engagement. Now here are some more new rules to fix this terribly broken product."

You are probably right with why change the rules, but then again.
Scoob said it , They only need to enforce the existing rules, ie holding the ball , incorrect disposal.
But to me the contest was so congested the Umps have had a prick of a time with calling who has dropped it or what has happened, so they play on.
I like it , lets get away from these mauling rucks, giving players like Dusty and the Bulldogs congestion , cloaking their disguised blatant cheating.

I reckon that has been said about Ryan for years now and yet he is one of those dependable players Fagan and before him, Leppa keep playing. There’s clearly a reason why he has been voted into the leadership team the past few years.

I’m not consigning Ryan to the NEAFL just yet regardless of how unsexy a player may be.
I just can't see a spot for him in our team if we have a reasonable run with injury, I've been wrong before though. I'd be hoping 1 or 2 young up and coming guys like Cedric Cox, Zac Bailey, Ely Smith, Corey Lyons, Brandon Starcevich and Jacob Allison step up and make Ryan surplus to requirements. OOC at the end of this season as well, so pressure on him.

I just can't see a spot for him in our team if we have a reasonable run with injury, I've been wrong before though. I'd be hoping 1 or 2 young up and coming guys like Cedric Cox, Zac Bailey, Ely Smith, Corey Lyons, Brandon Starcevich and Jacob Allison step up and make Ryan surplus to requirements. OOC at the end of this season as well, so pressure on him.
You could probably say the same for Robinson and Hodge. At the moment they are best 22 but you would hope by the middle-end of the season two of the young guys has pushed them out. We aren't as desperately young as we have been that we need an enforcer anymore. We already have a bit of aggro in the team even disregarding Robinson and Hodge: Robertson, Witherden, Berry, Hippy, McStay, Zorko, Gardiner, Smith looks to have some of it, Keays, havent seen enough of Neale, Adams, Lyons or McCarthy to comment, Rayner, Cameron, Skinner, taylor, Matho, Smith. Honestly a fair portion of our team wont back down, really good signs

The increased importance of the centre bounce may count against Stef going forward too.
I feel like pure tap ruckmen may come back into vogue more because it's going to be harder to nullify any weakness in that area. Will be interesting to see how many teams still choose to play a token Griggs type second ruck because they could be really exploited. Kinda hoping Big O gets a few cracks at him this year!

The increased importance of the centre bounce may count against Stef going forward too.
I feel like pure tap ruckmen may come back into vogue more because it's going to be harder to nullify any weakness in that area. Will be interesting to see how many teams still choose to play a token Griggs type second ruck because they could be really exploited. Kinda hoping Big O gets a few cracks at him this year!
May be where the value of a second ruckman comes in.
Maybe Big O can contest the centre bounces and then move forward and Stef can contest around the ground where the game will essentially be the same as last year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back