Strategy List Management 101

Remove this Banner Ad

I agreed with everything you said, except for this. I think you're missing the point in what I and others have been complaining about. No one is complaining about us trading Bird and pick 14. We're complaining about trading them for nothing.

If we wanted to offload Bird we should have done it for a fifth round pick (i.e. nothing) and then traded pick 14 in another trade. We were in a position of strength when we possessed pick 14. Yet, what did we do? We swapped it for two picks (23 & 44) which gave us no increase in points. It was a complete waste. Plenty of clubs would have been happy to trade two second round picks for pick 14, especially in a shallow draft.

Look at the trade that GWS did with Melbourne. That's what we should have done.

I appreciate that opinion & fully understand that you could be 100% correct in it.
What I like to put forward here is that as a club, since Roos took over as coach, we have always been second to none at looking after our players should they move on. We go back to when Schneider was traded to the Saints along with Dempster who was pretty much the set of steak knives. Dempster has been a wonderful servant for the Saints & will go around again in 2016. He had run his race at the Swans but we made sure his career was extended, being a much loved p'ship player. At the time I too questioned why we pretty much gave him up for nothing but as we had no guarantee of senior footy for him, the best thing we could do was make sure he at least was looked after.

Now onto Bird! Quite clearly he had run his race with us as far as senior footy was concerned. In the end, Bird had to be happy that he would have the chance of playing regular senior footy going forward & I think that at Essendon he will get that. In terms of Bird's best footy we definitely got unders for him but in terms of recent form, I believe the best we could do was get him to a club that will utilise his strengths, enabling him to become a valuable member of that team for the next 5 or so years. Rather than attack the club, I prefer to embrace the fact they look after the person first, knowing full well that we had no place for him in the senior team going forward. No guarantees that he will become an integral part of the Bomber's midfield but that is not our problem going forward.
Bird was surplus to our needs & surely you would understand that the club would have first tried every avenue to get the best deal done for Bird but in the end, it was most likely a sweetener in building a good trading relationship with other parties long term. Swings & roundabouts!

But what do I know?

Ultimately the club achieved what THEY wanted to achieve & not what we the fans thought they should achieve.

18 team competition.
Finals in 17 years of the last 20 years!
5 grand finals!
2 premierships!
At least 8 prelim finals!
In that 20 years we have built a destination club.
We now have the best player welfare department in the land.

Yeah, yeah! That's all in the past I can hear some saying!
But my answer to that is that we have just landed two top 3 players in consecutive years after having played in a GF in one & finishing 4th while depleted by injury.
Really not too sure why so many of us demand perfection from the club & players 100% of the time, when we are far from perfect supporters of our club when things aren't going according to (our) plan.

Disclaimer:
Much of the above post is more than likely full of sh.t as I don't have the ability to state facts using hindsight.

All I really care about is............

........................GO BLOODS!:thumbsu:

Has anyone heard anything about Parkers contract extension? Was supposed to be signed prior to Christmas from what I recall.

They definitely said it would be pre-Christmas but haven't heard anything since...hopefully it will be sorted this month or at the very least before the season gets underway.

need some new blood in these areas
Well, I reckon we have Abe Davis, as well as Nank who can play that CHF role. Our rucks atm are Derickx (*vomits*), Naismith, Nank, and Galloway. Out of those, I reckon Naismith would be the best mobile ruckman who can go around the ground. D-Rex is a spud, Nank is more of a Tippett-lite, and Galloway has only been playing the game for a few years (although he is an absolute monster: 209cm and 100kg+! If he develops his tank a bit, he could be brilliant)

Well, I reckon we have Abe Davis, as well as Nank who can play that CHF role. Our rucks atm are Derickx (*vomits*), Naismith, Nank, and Galloway. Out of those, I reckon Naismith would be the best mobile ruckman who can go around the ground. D-Rex is a spud, Nank is more of a Tippett-lite, and Galloway has only been playing the game for a few years (although he is an absolute monster: 209cm and 100kg+! If he develops his tank a bit, he could be brilliant)

how would Tippett go in the Ruck all day?

Need some genuine key position players on the Half back and Half forward lines. Long term prospects. Not as big a problem on the shorter SCG ground, but that is not where the grand final is played

I don't think that Nanka could ever be a CHF. He's too slow. He's more of a FF/ruck IMO.

how would Tippett go in the Ruck all day?

Need some genuine key position players on the Half back and Half forward lines. Long term prospects. Not as big a problem on the shorter SCG ground, but that is not where the grand final is played

He would be capable but he is too damaging as a full-forward...we'd be silly not to utilise that.

Parker about to sign contract extension according to Tom Harley on the website this morning.

They told us this would be done pre-Christmas though...I'll relax when the pen hits paper!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would be capable but he is too damaging as a full-forward...we'd be silly not to utilise that.

I don't know if Tippett has been all that lethal at full forward.

His goal output has been comparable to a small forward or second tier forward. In fairness to him, he has had to share the feeding with Lance

Hope it gets done. He's an important player for us. Hasn't hit his peak yet either

They haven't printed several articles on the official Swans website, AFL, etc etc a year before his contract is due to end without a serious commitment in place to get it done. Otherwise it's a bad look for the club and puts the player in a horrible position. I'm resting easy and expecting something long.

Patrick Cripps is now 194cm, taller than Pavlich & Riewoldt

swansfan51 - Cripps now has the size to place as a key forward. Personally, I'd suggest he probably has the ability/smarts, too. The guy is a gun.

As per your theory, do you think it would make sense for Carlton to move him off the ball and into the forward line? But, in doing so, lose their best onballer?

I think it probably would.

Is a club's best midfielder worth less than their best key forward?

Patrick Cripps is now 194cm, taller than Pavlich & Riewoldt

swansfan51 - Cripps now has the size to place as a key forward. Personally, I'd suggest he probably has the ability/smarts, too. The guy is a gun.

As per your theory, do you think it would make sense for Carlton to move him off the ball and into the forward line? But, in doing so, lose their best onballer?

I think it probably would.

Is a club's best midfielder worth less than their best key forward?

Depends really. He may not be a natural forward while he is a natural midfielder. Best to play him in the position he is most natural at rather than trying to force him to play a position where Carlton have a real pressing need. Still, is going to be a massive headache for opposition clubs just like Goodes was a massive headache given he played in the midfield and was a similar size. Anyone big enough to go with him did not have the tank and the players that did have the tank to go with him were not tall enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back