List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Stocker but he is nowhere near the level of Williams who as a half back flanker is all Australian level, whereas Stocker is just best 22 at this stage.
I get that some don’t like the size of his contract for a half back flanker and the impact that might have on our salary cap, but I think he has been very good in all 3 games this year .

Wonder if Liddle/Teague influenced the Williams contract...it really stands out as one we overpaid compared to the other deals Austin has done.

We paid way less for Saad, Cerra and Hewett.

At least Williams is playing good footy...even if we are overpaying by approx. $150k a year, that's manageable.

It's not a huge mistake like saints paying hanneberry $800k to not do anything or Hill not even playing well, Collingwood with beams and paying some of treloars contract at dogs, north with polec etc.

Can we all talk about the elephant sized contract in the room… look, Zac Williams is a very good back flanker but I still believe we practiced financial malpractice with his contract. I mean, we have stocker now playing in the twos and I think hes a far better player than Williams is already. He looks like a younger doch when he’s playing. So I think, as good as the team is playing, Williams is replaceable and I wouldn’t mind dangling to him to north or any team who has the cap space. I’m actually glad he’s playing well because his value will go up but I think he isn’t really giving us what we are paying for. Trade him for a second and future second and use that to try to get into the top 10 for the draft. This contract will eventually come back to bite us especially when TDK comes out of contract and other clubs come calling.
There's an argument to be made that Williams is overpaid & there's certainly room to make some moves to free up cap space. I'd say he's comfortably ahead of both TDK & Stocker on output though, who despite showing plenty of promise are a fair way removed from being reliable senior players.

Why would we trade him for 2 second round draft picks :confusedv1:

Are you blind?

We trade Williams for two second round picks.

We trade the two second round picks for a top 10 pick.

Then we can trade the top 10 pick for a quality half back flanker who can break lines and and pinch hit further up the ground.

Duh...

Wonder if Liddle/Teague influenced the Williams contract...it really stands out as one we overpaid compared to the other deals Austin has done.

At least Williams is playing good footy...even if we are overpaying by approx. $150k a year, that's manageable.

It's not a huge mistake like saints paying hanneberry $800k to not do anything or Hill not even playing well, Collingwood with beams and paying some of treloars contract at dogs, north with polec etc.
It'd be convenient but I wouldn't have thought so. I can't think of a list manager that hasn't overpaid, be it in salary or trade capital, at one time or another.

The question is, what exactly did we pay?
The Martin contract was heavily front ended and is now on very basic $'s. Been reported otherwise for shock value in the media.
No doubt Williams got $900k first year to facilitate an unmatchable Free Agency offer, but would be uncharacteristic to think that continues through his tenure. More like running on 5-600k tops going forward.

I was ecstatic on his signing, but have considered a contra entry in the wrrrrrrong thread that he was not worth the value settling in defence. Was not so aware of his application shortcomings. We are going to have an issue down the track with Doc, Saad, Williams, McGovern, Plowman and the slightly older Newman coming to their respective ends in close succession. This makes resigning Stocker imperative for the dynamic and I must say Kemp needs to be played in defence. I understand that we do not have developing key forwards for the twos leading to extended audition/development for Brodie, but he is a play reader. Midfield or defence is his spot, not a tall offensive focal point. Kemp is our Nick Haynes, Dylan Grimes, maybe Jordan Ridley or Tom Stewart in waiting for mine.

I am telling myself Williams is/will be on $500k ish going forward, making the contract a bit more acceptable.

Are you blind?

We trade Williams for two second round picks.

We trade the two second round picks for a top 10 pick.

Then we can trade the top 10 pick for a quality half back flanker who can break lines and and pinch hit further up the ground.

Duh...

So what your saying, with the top 10 pick...
There's a chance we could get a Zac Williams...

YES... WINNING...

Napoleon Dynamite Reaction GIF

Tough at this stage to find 5 players who won’t be there next year.

Curnow, Newnes, Marchbank, Williamson and Honey would be my guess at this stage.

Philip and Cuningham at risk too

Curnow, Newnes, Marchbank, Williamson and Honey would be my guess at this stage.

Honey? Jeremias ?

Unfortunately he's not going to go into many midfields, so what he needs to find is a system that affords him space and 30-40m passing options while playing off HF/wing/centre bounce (predominantly HF).
I'm pretty sure the role you describe simply does not exist in any AFL team which leads me to question Fisher's role in our team.
There is no way he should be getting any midfield minutes ahead of Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra, Walsh and Hewett and even Dow and I'd rather we give his forward minutes to Martin or Honey when fit and possibly Motlop in the coming weeks/months.
We are making a lot of excuses for Fisher - sure he seems to have talent and also seems to be popular within the playing group - but he wouldn't be the first with those credentials to fail...look at Samo who is now barely getting a kick for West Coast.
I was happy to give him a chance and credit to him that I think he played well in the first two games but I think its only a matter of time before the likes of Martin, Honey, Dow, Motlop, Carroll, Philp etc will surge past him.

Last edited:

Willo and Honey will be fine - the first is capable depth at the very least (which you need if you want to have a proper tilt at a flag) and has scope to improve further, the latter is a genuine best 22 consideration once he's back on the park (very soon).

Curnow may well retire now that he's out of the 22, but not the end of the world if he stays on one more year - another handy depth option which could be invaluable if one of our premium inside mids goes down with an injury. 70/30 he goes, I reckon.

Newnes probably done, might land at another rebuilding club as a FA.

I'd call time on Marchy as well, unless he gets a good block of games in to finish the season. Maybe sign him straight up with the ressies and he can be a MSD option next year if he stays fit.

Philp should be fine, still room for growth, though I do wonder at how far down the pecking order he's going to be for years to come. If being ruthless then maybe he makes way.

Cunners will have half a season to prove his fitness. He's too good to lose if his body can hold up.

Jones will officially come off the list.
Curnow probably retires.
Newnes encouraged to explore his options.
Marchy faces the music.

If we need a fifth, then a decision needs to be made on losing someone with a great work ethic but low ceiling (ie. Cottrell), someone with a high ceiling but history of injury issues (ie. Cunners) or someone who holds reasonable value on the market (ie. Dow).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically only need three, including Jones to meet requirements. Will increase to four if we draft and retain someone mid season.

Jones, Curnow, Newnes highly likely.
Understand Marchbank being listed given his injury history, but assuming he comes back soon and gets a good run at it, should and will be retained.
How you come up with Honey is beyond me, only leaves if poached. Let's give him a chance first, there was a reason he was upgraded to the main list.
Philp contracted. Hasn't had a great injury run and others may be pushing past him. Gets another year to try to realise his potential, but may have slippe in the pecking order. Williamson is great depth, will possibly make way at some stage, but likely others go first.

We WILL lose a couple to trade who are not getting game time. Naming Cuningham, i agree with. Has been some feedback on his injury management dissatisfaction and others have gained tenure in his position(s). Would be a bargain target for judicious recruiters. Dow is being discussed elsewhere and a decent possibility he goes for opportunity. Fogarty may be in the same boat on that front, came to us for opportunity and that looks like closing down. I am certainly not pushing him out the door.

Some rookies will come under consideration, but the likes of Cottrell, Parks and Boyd are great value to our seconds and very capable depth if called upon. McDonald is a great stopgap defensive option, but will come under scrutiny if his back doesn't settle

Little doubt we will identify an under the radar draftee as well as using our top end picks to bolster our tall stocks. Owies will need a list spot for upgrade as well. Reckon we will ideally look to use three live picks, upgrade Owies and possibly another if more spots become available due to defections. We won't cut heavily as there are no passengers on our list except Cat B Akuei at this stage. We need "expendable" players for gazetted list changes in future years and won't "clean out" in one year going forward. Once Ed and Newnes leave we will only have Newman pushing 30 for a couple of years.

Shouldn't be too hard - 19 players currently out of contract at the end of the year.

Why is Philp at risk? Contracted through to the end of 2023.

Shouldn't be too hard - 19 players currently out of contract at the end of the year.

Why is Philp at risk? Contracted through to the end of 2023.
Our list is pretty deep at the moment. Philp hasn't shown much at all, I'd rather keep Cuningham, Newnes and Honey over Philp to be honest. Possibly one of those delist then re-rookie options.

Our list is pretty deep at the moment. Philp hasn't shown much at all, I'd rather keep Cuningham, Newnes and Honey over Philp to be honest. Possibly one of those delist then re-rookie options.

He's 20 and missed a full year through injury.

At this stage I don't think he'd be in the discussion. There's no way we'd prioritize Newnes over him.

In order most under pressure
Cottrell
Ed Curnow (retire)
Newnes
Parks
Williamson
Fogarty

Next group: Marchbank, Philp, Cuningham, Dow, McDonald, Plowman, Newman, Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad