List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin and co have been conservative with their list management over their first 2 years...
Brought in and FA and used our low picks on known quantities over the higher risk draft... Which is conservative...

Seems the conservativeness is more by strategy than by choice though...

Our strategy is to hit the draft this year...
I'm excited to see if Austin and co are bold with trades for better picks in the last week of trade week...
Also if we are bold to take some risk and high reward players like Humphrey...

IMO Austin has been great for us, re-signed all our stars and
Fogarty is the only speculative pickup so far but is apparently still on the list...
Stamos what you disagree with Austin has been great for us?

Stamos what you disagree with Austin has been great for us?
Probably more with your opinion that he’s been so conservative…

I’d agree with Stamos here.

There’s also plenty of grey between the ‘high risk, high reward’ and playing the safest of hands.

Worth noting those high risk high reward calls are just that, and your likelihood of coming out on top is slim. Nice when it works, but it doesn’t most of the time. If it did, everyone would do it…

The way I read our list Management strategy is thus

1. Sign all ur guns/potential guns to good length deals..outside of TDK..Tick
Core group to go forward with number of yrs together
Few of these contracts don't have the cause that as cap goes up so does salary..McKay contract is like this
2. Cheery pick guys from other clubs based on needs and value..both contract and Trade wise..hence Acres and Hewitt.. these will be norm going forward for while..bit like what swans did
Help keep cap under control
3. Go back to draft..again helps keep cap in balance..buys u time to have to pay more good players alot of cash...time any of them hit that point if they are good enough other contracts we have start to near expiry
We don't need 44 guys all contending for spots..be nice never gunna happen..even if we did u lose plenty cause they dont play..drafting keeps the list in balance
We have enough talent and depth..so we can take the punt on drafting..if one fails no big disaster but u just mite snag a few more good players who can b ready to contribute in a couple of yrs time as other move on or begin to stagnate/decline..in the meantime we can afford them to learn their craft properly under less scrutiny in the 2nds at the required pace instead of having to push them up too quick and f their development...ala Dow damo LOB to mention a few

credit to geelong they got their flag by topping up but just like hawks,b4 them when all those Stars go its a quick fall..selwood is the begining of this..I think if ur losing few good players every couple of yrs but they are being replaces by good kids at the bottom end who r ready its a more sustainable way to actually really contending than just making up the numbers in finals
Even geelong this trade period r showing us u just carnt keep going and trading for good established players..the 3 they r bringing in have potential yes but have proven little so far

We unlike just about every other club are in a Position to do this..got enough A grades.. plenty of depth below this..list is really good age..

Wouldnt be signing him to a good length or good money deal just yet.

Agreed. Sign him up for 2 years on ok coin to take him to free agency. If he pops in the next 1-2 years then he gets a 5-6 year deal then by which time the cap has increased from the TV rights deal and Gov’s contract is off the books.
Yeah this is reasonable and responsible

Yes very likely Richmond would have won that game had Prestia not been knocked out

Had the Tigers subsequently not lost to the Suns by 2 or Roos by 4 or won instead of drawn with Freo they would have finished top 4 and with a double chance had a great opportunity to make the grand final

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ifs,Buts and Maybes same could be said about Blues if not losing to Crows then Dees and Pies by 3 and 1 point respectively

If onlys hey stuff Tigers anyway

Agreed. Sign him up for 2 years on ok coin to take him to free agency. If he pops in the next 1-2 years then he gets a 5-6 year deal then by which time the cap has increased from the TV rights deal and Gov’s contract is off the books.

Free agency and have little say in whether we keep him?

If you want him to sign for unders, do it for a longer term, say 4 years

If he pops as you say, within 2 years, then we have a greater chance of keeping/extending him, or if he wants to leave we trade him before he becomes a free agent

Free agency and have little say in whether we keep him?

If you want him to sign for unders, do it for a longer term, say 4 years

If he pops as you say, within 2 years, then we have a greater chance of keeping/extending him, or if he wants to leave we trade him before he becomes a free agent
Fair call although we could also re-sign him as a “pre agent” like we did with H and Charlie if he really comes on next year, which I think he might.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

perhaps because we're enjoying trade period from the stands
That doesn't necessarily correlate.. Essendon are routinely trade period premiers but it amounts to nought.

Sos was able to strip the list for parts given where the side was at, if Austin followed suit - he'd quickly find himself out of a job.
The rationale behind change in tact should be obvious- we have less tradeable assets & less room to work with.

I'll engage though, who should we be trading out & for what?

Could we possibly have the below changes or something similar from our last game against a top 4 team that we lost by 1 point. Pretty strong side with good depth so lots to look forward to.

Out

Stocker
Lob
Pittonet
Setterfield
Owies
Cottrell

In

Walsh
Hewett
Kennedy
Dekoning
Boyd
Acres

Emerg from

LOB
Cottrell
Owies
Pittonet
Kemp
Caroll
Newman
Honey
Dow
Cuningham
Pick10

Could we possibly have the below changes or something similar from our last game against a top 4 team that we lost by 1 point. Pretty strong side with good depth so lots to look forward to.

Out

Stocker
Lob
Pittonet
Setterfield
Owies
Cottrell

In

Walsh
Hewett
Kennedy
Dekoning
Boyd
Acres

Emerg from

LOB
Cottrell
Owies
Pittonet
Kemp
Caroll
Newman
Honey
Dow
Cuningham
Pick10

Probably close but my best guess is LOB has another strong preseason and does well enough in the practice games to be there in round 1

And I’m also guessing Pitto remains ahead of TDK and Newman ahead of Boyd. TDK and Boyd could well cement those spots by the end of 2023 but remains to be earned.

Probably close but my best guess is LOB has another strong preseason and does well enough in the practice games to be there in round 1

And I’m also guessing Pitto remains ahead of TDK and Newman ahead of Boyd. TDK and Boyd could well cement those spots by the end of 2023 but remains to be earned.

There is some talk that there will be no sub next year with 5 man bench and probably less rotations. Makes playing 2 rucks more palatable. Would be a good move as the sub sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back