Mainstream things that you enjoy

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Anyone who has been around here long enough would have noticed there's a definite swing against things that crossed in to mainstream culture not representative of the world/country as a whole. Films, music, food and drink. It's all there. I'm interested to hear what mainstream and popular things that people in here do actually enjoy and freely admit.

For me, well I enjoy movies and films that also happened to have made very good business and become pop culture staples. Too many to list in one go.

I like Bundy Rum. I like Coca Cola and Pepsi. I think Holden make good cars. I prefer to play big video game productions on a console rather than small indie works. I like Windows and Microsoft. I don't have a problem drinking a popular brand of beer when it's a big night (do prefer more crafty brews when I don't intend on drinking more than 10 or so however). I like shopping at supermarkets. I use microwaves. I love Hungry Jacks.

That's all the main ones off the top of my head.

Last edited:
All things console games except the Microsoft line. I don't play PC games because I can't afford the dedicated hardware.

Most soft drink brands. Quite a few fast-food brands (no duh). Music tends to stop at the 2009 mark but before that I have a wide taste.

Like Corona and Budweiser, it's just a mainstream beer from another country.

Like Stella and Heineken too, they're just the Belgian and Dutch version of Fosters that most Belgians and Dutch wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Jamaica Blue. The one nearest me makes a better cappuccino than the independent cafes in the area.

Is that what the thread is for?

McCafe coffees are just as good as most cafes but coffee snobs wouldn't want to be seen dead drinking coffee at McDonalds.

McCafe coffees are just as good as most cafes but coffee snobs wouldn't want to be seen dead drinking coffee at McDonalds.

It's passable. There are a couple of cafes I go to near my office that I would give 9/10 based on what I like. Others mostly range from OK to good and one is pretty average. No McCafe I've ever been to has reached the level of the first two, but the notion that it's undrinkable or poison is just confirmation bias. Plenty of cafes serving coffee to the standard of McCafe stay in business.

Anyway I'm not really sure the point of this thread. Most things that people like are mainstream, that's what makes them mainstream.

Who likes popular things? Errr, most people. That's why they're popular.

Not on bigfooty they don't. Too busy drinking handcrafted beer, listening to a niche band that tours to out of the way pubs in front of a dozen people, watching independent European arthouse cinema, and only buying food from a local corner store which sources everything from the farm daily.

Sent from mTalk

So is Apple mainstream or not?

Years ago they just made computers, and people who used Apple and not the generic Windows/IBM etc. stuff were always a bit off.

Then they made the iMac, and iPod, iPhone, iPad, Macbook etc.

Go into any JB Hifi or whatever and one of the first displays you see is the Apple stand. They are pretty commonplace even if Windows is still the preferred operating system and Android smartphones may outsell the iPhone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back