Markfs' Board of Directors Watch

Thoughts on how well Ed and the board are doing?

• I have no interest in this stuff, don't see what it's got to do with winning footy games

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Very happy with the way things are, Ed and the board are doing a great job

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Ed and the board are doing OK, but wish others would stand and provide us with choice

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Time for Ed and the board to go

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been saddened that this thread has somewhat distracted you from your media watching, but sentences like this take some of the pain away. Golden.

The media watching thread got lost in the search.... i had a look for it a few days ago but the search function doesnt pick it up... find it for me and i'll post more. i was going to post something about that hired gun glenn macfarlane a few days back but i couldnt find the thread...

he's rich and he runs big companies so he knows more than a good-hearted collingwood supporter who wants to make decisions in the best interests of the club.

We've got some "she's" too.

It's not so much that's they're rich, it's that they're successful. Wealth is not the only measure of success (see Camplin) but it can be a valid measure.

I dont like the fact that we tell players to work hard to achieve and we have people on the board who make money off the backs of others - however legal that might be.

Everybody makes money off the back of others. It's called an economy.

Meh. If Mr Beazley was on the board now, you would bag him too. I think I started off objecting to your baseless criticism of Ian McMullin before Waislitz. Maybe I am related to both? I do know one thing - and that is that the likes of Wrens and McHales would tell you to drop your personal attacks and focus on the ball not the man/men.

That's the one thing that you know? well i only know one thing too and that's if Jesus was here today, he would tell you to stop being so unkind to me....

btw, i think jesus out-trumps wren and mchale...

you'll need to direct me to your posts where you defend nathan buckley.... i've seen him personally attacked for a number of years and a lot of it recently is far more nasty than any stuff i'm writing.

at least nathan has demonstrated his commitment to the club for over 20 years. Notice the word "demonstrated"

but back to your defence of these people... i think that I have provided a lot of evidence. At least I have referred to internet sites that support my view.

You seem to just repeat the same old stuff that these people give up their time for the club....servants of the club, etc etc. I see no evidence for that. I got a post a couple of weeks back where someone on BF spoke about a party that Alex put on for supporters and players. I have no idea how long ago that was. Not one person has bothered to post a message that they have met some of people.we on the board and found them to be the inspirational characters that you seem to find them.

They're mates of eddie...we all know that.... they're basically there to fill the spots on the board...that's it.
Not defending "these people", but am objecting to personal attacks when they are unfounded. For crying out loud you basically accused Waislitz of tax evasion with no basis but some unrelated b/s about Pratt companies.

I can more than accept the comment that they are Eddie's buds and it looks like cronyism, but please don't diminish your argument with personal attacks.

I do not find any of the board members "inspirational" (except maybe Camplin for her sporting achievements - she is super tough), but equally I don't know them and have only met a few in passing. What I don't do is run to conclusions on their character, which you seem more than happy to do.

Since you asked,. there would have been others, but I do recall there was a CFC party at Waislitz' place in about 98 or 99 not long after he came on board, not that holding parties matters one iota and is in any way suggested to be a measure of his contribution.

Now finished with this.

You are going off reservation with the Bucks analogy. Different category, but I am a supporter of his and still think we are a chance to do something with this year.

We've got some "she's" too.

It's not so much that's they're rich, it's that they're successful. Wealth is not the only measure of success (see Camplin) but it can be a valid measure.

Everybody makes money off the back of others. It's called an economy.

as i said earlier, i dont come here to write legal documents. As for your comment about wealth, well it certainty reflects societys view of it...

interestingly, alex has tried to take on another measure of success - philanthropy. He announced three years ago that he was going to give away $50m but I've looked at his charities annual reports and..... well he's not quite as successful at giving as he is in ......how can i put it?...receiving...

Not defending "these people", but am objecting to personal attacks when they are unfounded. For crying out loud you basically accused Waislitz of tax evasion with no basis but some unrelated b/s about Pratt companies.

I can more than accept the comment that they are Eddie's buds and it looks like cronyism, but please don't diminish your argument with personal attacks.

I do not find any of the board members "inspirational" (except maybe Camplin for her sporting achievements - she is super tough), but equally I don't know them and have only met a few in passing. What I don't do is run to conclusions on their character, which you seem more than happy to do.

Since you asked,. there would have been others, but I do recall there was a CFC party at Waislitz' place in about 98 or 99 not long after he came on board, not that holding parties matters one iota and is in any way suggested to be a measure of his contribution.

Now finished with this.

You are going off reservation with the Bucks analogy. Different category, but I am a supporter of his and still think we are a chance to do something with this year.

i didnt basically accuse him of tax evasion. I believe it to be tax avoidance. One is a legal issue and the other is a moral one. Rich people like to refer to it as tax minimisation. Its like using the term collateral damage....it sounds nicer..

btw i like this online persona that you've created.... reminiscent of captain mannering..

i didnt basically accuse him of tax evasion. I believe it to be tax avoidance. One is a legal issue and the other is a moral one. Rich people like to refer to it as tax minimisation. Its like using the term collateral damage....it sounds nicer..

btw i like this online persona that you've created.... reminiscent of captain mannering..
If only you knew the half of it. I think it is Mainwaring.

That's the one thing that you know? well i only know one thing too and that's if Jesus was here today, he would tell you to stop being so unkind to me....

btw, i think jesus out-trumps wren and mchale...

McHale and Wren would get Mannix on side, and Mannix would have a hotline to Jesus.

It's all a boys club, you can't win :p

Since you asked,. there would have been others, but I do recall there was a CFC party at Waislitz' place in about 98 or 99 not long after he came on board, not that holding parties matters one iota and is in any way suggested to be a measure of his contribution

Pretty sure Waislitz has thrown a fundraiser party for the club every year?

Not sure if it still happens after he split with Eloise but. It a few years since I saw the last one reported.

McHale and Wren would get Mannix on side, and Mannix would have a hotline to Jesus.

It's all a boys club, you can't win :p

76, I dont think McHale and Wren were mates. One was a policeman, and the other...

No love was lost between those two.

As for Mannix, a fascinating historical figure, but for another topic.

Correction: McHale was the son of a policeman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Waislitz has thrown a fundraiser party for the club every year?

Not sure if it still happens after he split with Eloise but. It a few years since I saw the last one reported.

i realise that he's a carlton supporter but i've never been impressed with that richard pratt way of doing things. When i read about the carlton players going off to pratt's house in the past, it struck me as something you might see at a sports club in the usa or europe where the club is owned....

i would prefer to see the directors at the game and meeting the players and the fans at the footy.

yes you're right. sorry that i got the spelling wrong, captain.

Just don't let it happen again. As for presidents and other officials entertaining players, Pies have been doing that forever. And Vic Park was the first ground to have corporate boxes - albeit they were 4 foot high borders segregating seats into small groups.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just don't let it happen again. As for presidents and other officials entertaining players, Pies have been doing that forever. And Vic Park was the first ground to have corporate boxes - albeit they were 4 foot high borders segregating seats into small groups.

i have no idea what the relevancy of this is..... but i'll take the bait.... so we had corporate boxes at victoria park in the mid 1930s which was about the last time we were consistently dominant.... as opposed to winning the odd premiership from time to time..

btw you seem to have a real love of the way carlton does its business. you didnt meet alex at a carlton function in the last millennium when he was pratt's right hand man, did you? Not that i'm insinuating that you're an ex-carlton supporter. I tend to play the ball...

i have no idea what the relevancy of this is..... but i'll take the bait.... so we had corporate boxes at victoria park in the mid 1930s which was about the last time we were consistently dominant.... as opposed to winning the odd premiership from time to time..

btw you seem to have a real love of the way carlton does its business. you didnt meet alex at a carlton function in the last millennium when he was pratt's right hand man, did you? Not that i'm insinuating that you're an ex-carlton supporter. I tend to play the ball...

The relevance is that Pies have been doing "corporate entertainment" as long as any other team. And CFC board members have been entertaining players for a long time. In direct response to your comments on players hanging with the prez being a Carlton thing. So your romantic view is flawed. Think the VP boxes started in the 60s or maybe 70s. Maybe that was the catalyst?

No not a former blue. Born Pie.

The relevance is that Pies have been doing "corporate entertainment" as long as any other team. And CFC board members have been entertaining players for a long time. In direct response to your comments on players hanging with the prez being a Carlton thing. So your romantic view is flawed. Think the VP boxes started in the 60s or maybe 70s. Maybe that was the catalyst?

No not a former blue. Born Pie.

honestly, do you think that i have a beef with the club putting on corporate entertainment? maybe i should thank you for your feedback i need to adjust my style so that it hits people between the eyes...

so let me put it simple...

alex waislitz...club vice president.... straggler at board meetings.... makes a couple of large payments to the club presumably to make up for lack of generally not being around the club much.... and i should also say presumably made those payments because he was also reported in 2014 to be planning to make large charitable donations of $50m in the following decade and my investigations of his foundations annual reports dont indicate that....and i only refer to his charitable donations because i honestly wonder if he did give money to the Pies because the books dont seem to note such donations.

So if his couple of large alleged donations and an annual open house constitutes corporate entertainment or the usual impact of a club vice president, then i have a completely wrong assumption of what a vice president of an afl club would do....

i do know that he's proud of being the vice president because he uses that connection at every opportunity.......as the blackmores woman says.."i'm a mad keen magpie fan" and so that must be so, because she says it and because she's in business...and presumably that's enough.

btw i cant remember the last time that i told someone that i was a mad keen magpie fan.... that must be my problem. i obviously dont care as much about the Pies as our directors who have an annual open house and tell the media that they are mad keen...if i had the money to afford an annual open house party and if i had access to the media so that i could profess my love of the pies, then i too could be a director of the Pies...

so that's pretty simple isnt it?

honestly, do you think that i have a beef with the club putting on corporate entertainment? maybe i should thank you for your feedback i need to adjust my style so that it hits people between the eyes...

alex waislitz...club vice president.... straggler at board meetings.... makes a couple of large payments to the club presumably to make up for lack of generally not being around the club much.... and i should also say presumably made those payments because he was also reported in 2014 to be planning to make large charitable donations of $50m in the following decade and my investigations of his foundations annual reports dont indicate that....and i only refer to his charitable donations because i honestly wonder if he did give money to the Pies because the books dont seem to note such donations.

So if his couple of large alleged donations and an annual open house constitutes corporate entertainment or the usual impact of a club vice president, then i have a completely wrong assumption of what a vice president of an afl club would do....

i do know that he's proud of being the vice president because he uses that connection at every opportunity.......as the blackmores woman says.."i'm a mad keen magpie fan" and so that must be so, because she says it and because she's in business...and presumably that's enough.

btw i cant remember the last time that i told someone that i was a mad keen magpie fan.... that must be my problem. i obviously dont care as much about the Pies as our directors who have an annual open house and tell the media that they are mad keen...if i had the money to afford an annual open house party and if i had access to the media so that i could profess my love of the pies, then i too could be a director of the Pies...

So, what would you like to see happen with the board?

You characterised players at the Prez' place as a Carlton thing, which was patently wrong esp if you consider the Raheen location. But anyways we don't agree - not sure you understand how a club needs to function to raise $. You keep asking questions - keep 'em honest.

You characterised players at the Prez' place as a Carlton thing, which was patently wrong esp if you consider the Raheen location. But anyways we don't agree - not sure you understand how a club needs to function to raise $. You keep asking questions - keep 'em honest.

Your a smart bloke sideswipe have you not figured out Markfs modes operandi yet?

Back