Game Day Marsh Community Series 1 2020: Hawthorn v St Kilda, Thursday 20th February 7:10pm AEST @ RSEA Park

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree but give him a chance he has worked hard this summer P.B in multiple aeras. i heard wrighty had to pull him out of the vfl he dominated the last two games.

I hear big wraps about Ross i look fwd to watching him... we definatly need some type of zipp or creativity up fwd..

I think we are going to have to go back to Nash for that zip and creativity during the season. I think Nash is first choice among the small developing forwards, and i think he is so underrated.

I am nervous about Mitchington and Hanrahan (i have some hope for them). Moore is not durable atm.

We really need another young gun small forward to push Poppy out of the team.

On negative comments, they’re such an easy way out. If it turns out to be even remotely true you get to say ‘I told you so’, if not you can either be pleasantly surprised, or ‘just being realistic at the time’. Not saying we should only be positive without any critical comments, but be continually pessimistic is really just a cowards option.

Pre season game or otherwise its open to being dissected. Its what fans do. I hate losing. My posts will occasionslly reflect this. I even hate when our possibles lose to the probables in intra club hit outs. Usually vents last for 24-48 hrs before my sunny disposition returns. I love all Hawk fans because despite of differing views we all got one thing right 👍.

Pre season game or otherwise its open to being dissected. Its what fans do. I hate losing. My posts will occasionslly reflect this. I even hate when our possibles lose to the probables in intra club hit outs. Usually vents last for 24-48 hrs before my sunny disposition returns. I love all Hawk fans because despite of differing views we all got one thing right 👍.

Cracking post..

I love the real ones that I see on interstate trips or at the G who you say gday to and have a chat and beer maybe (particularly interstate games)👌.. Don’t think I’ve ever come across any bad supporters in person, had some ripper nights out after matches with a bunch.

Well for gods sake, you are genuinely nit picking because of my bluntness and short response not dissimilar at all to Abasi. The fact you feel I need to explain myself in detail rather than just have an opinion says more about you than me.

The simple fact is you don’t like how I say things.

But again, you’re making things up, I never said Howe would sabotage our finals series, I merely pointed out my belief that we are not a finals team with Howe in our best 22. Yes, I will concede for people like yourself who want detailed and thorough explanations behind the rationale I failed. How that’s “Always being a dick about our players” shows the true drama queen you are.
It is your hyperbole. It demonstrates your arrogance. It gives some of us the shits.

I think we are going to have to go back to Nash for that zip and creativity during the season. I think Nash is first choice among the small developing forwards, and i think he is so underrated.

I am nervous about Mitchington and Hanrahan (i have some hope for them). Moore is not durable atm.

We really need another young gun small forward to push Poppy out of the team.

I agree he looks to be the best option at this stage, has pace to burn the only player capable of creating havoc and turnovers i dare say he ahead of poppy.. the other 3 you mention bring different things to the table manic pressure is not one of them.

A trip up to the N.T to find some talent for this role wouldn't hurt.

I agree he looks to be the best option at this stage, has pace to burn the only player capable of creating havoc and turnovers i dare say he ahead of poppy.. the other 3 you mention bring different things to the table manic pressure is not one of them.

A trip up to the N.T to find some talent for this role wouldn't hurt.

Not a huge Nash fan but he may be our best pressure forward option

Howe played 17 games in 2018 as a mid and we made top 4. Admittedly we were non-competitive in finals, but a lot of that wasn't Howe's fault. If Howe can force his way into our current midfield, he'll be playing well or at the very least playing a role we vitally need him for.
We weren't non competitive in finals in 2018, we lost 2 games but we put up a contest and if we were a little better and against melbourne we would have won had stratton and omeara played and mitchell not done his shoulder.

and if you're wondering yes I have a reason for every year as to why despite being the best side injury, bad luck or conspiracy robbed us of a flag.

Not a huge Nash fan but he may be our best pressure forward option
I see glimpses of a good pressure forward with a bit of x-factor. Hits like a freight train too. It will interesting to see how he’s come on this year. Genetically it’s all there, just needs more feel for the game.

We weren't non competitive in finals in 2018, we lost 2 games but we put up a contest and if we were a little better and against melbourne we would have won had stratton and omeara played and mitchell not done his shoulder.

and if you're wondering yes I have a reason for every year as to why despite being the best side injury, bad luck or conspiracy robbed us of a flag.
I totally agree.

Didn't Burgoyne have broken rib/s, Mitchell did his shoulder, JO'M missed the game, Sicily had a broken wrist & Stratts missed or something.

It isn't an excuse for losing as they're largely irrelevant in an outcomes-based business, but it probs goes a fair way to explaining why we did lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On negative comments, they’re such an easy way out. If it turns out to be even remotely true you get to say ‘I told you so’, if not you can either be pleasantly surprised, or ‘just being realistic at the time’. Not saying we should only be positive without any critical comments, but be continually pessimistic is really just a cowards option.

Give over

So we played St Kilda in a practice match, and a week later we're playing St Kilda in a practice match again?

Are the other teams doing this too?

Pre season matches generally s**t me, but this I don't hate.

Give over
You can be critical without being negative for the sake of it. ‘I don’t think player x is good enough to start in this role because y’ vs ‘we’re full of b grade plodders and won’t make finals’. On the former you may later admit that they did turn out to be good enough/ their form up until that point didn’t point to this, but they grew into said role. The later is only said so you can later say “I told you so” or “I’m just calling it like I see it” or “lucky/other teams were rubbish/ happy to be proved wrong” - it’s a hedged bet where the only way your wrong is because of a miracle, which is a win anyway, and personally I think it’s garbage.

Not winning against a rabble like Melbourne fits the definition of non-competitive IMO.

:)

Not winning against a rabble like Melbourne fits the definition of non-competitive IMO.
What gws delivered in the grand final is non-competitive. Going down in a final missing players and losing more during a game is almost at the opposite end of the spectrum.

What gws delivered in the grand final is non-competitive. Going down in a final missing players and losing more during a game is almost at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Really? I'd call the opposite end of the competitive vs non-competitive spectrum a massive thumping of your opponent, and that losing is a fair distance from that end of the spectrum, but each to his own. I don't think you have to be on the end of one of the biggest thumpings in GF history to have arrived at 'non-competitive'.

We went out in straight sets and didn't get within 5 goals of either opponent. Of course there were reasons for both losses, especially the loss against Melbourne, but just because we might have been competitive had X, Y and Z not happened doesn't actually MAKE us competitive in those losses. If only GWS had kicked a s**t load more goals, they might be been competitive isn't much different to saying "If we were not missing players going in, and lost more during the game we might have been competitive". As I said in my original post, Howe was not the reason we were not competitive, and that the reasons for that lay elsewhere. Injuries were certainly a big part of our second loss, and part of the reason for our first loss. Inaccuracy at key moments was also a major issue in both games. At the end of the day they are reasons we were not competitive, not an argument for actually BEING competitive.

Last edited:
Really? I'd call the opposite end of the competitive vs non-competitive spectrum a massive thumping of your opponent, and that losing is a fair distance from that end of the spectrum, but each to his own. I don't think you have to be on the end of one of the biggest thumpings in GF history to have arrived at 'non-competitive'.

We went out in straight sets and didn't get within 5 goals of either opponent. Of course there were reasons for both losses, especially the loss against Melbourne, but just because we might have been competitive had X, Y and Z not happened doesn't actually MAKE us competitive in those losses. If only GWS had kicked a s**t load more goals, they might be been competitive isn't much different to saying "If we were not missing players going in, and lost more during the game we might have been competitive". As I said in my original post, Howe was not the reason we were not competitive, and that the reasons for that lay elsewhere. Injuries were certainly a big part of our second loss, and part of the reason for our first loss. Inaccuracy at key moments was also a major issue in both games. At the end of the day they are reasons we were not competitive, not an argument for actually BEING competitive.
So we just define being uncompetitive as losing? Fantastic...

if you don’t want to be optimistic about our sides chances when our list is clearly in a better position then there is no pleasing you I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back