Autopsy Marsh Community Series - Game 2, 2020: Collingwood v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonies form since breaking back into the side in 2018 has been good. It's only injury that disrupted him from having a very good year last year.

Was one of our best players in that block in late 2018 early 2019 before injury.

I rate him highly. He might not be consistent with kicking bags of goals but he's more than just a crumbing forward. He's able to push high up the ground and create play.

Just turned 23 last week. I'm expecting a big year from him.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some short memories here. There was a period of about 8 weeks last season before he was injured where he was our barometer. He was having a breakout season until that injury. He appears to have continued that this pre season. I wouldn’t be writing him off just yet.
He’s top 12-15 for mine and first picked of the smalls.

He’s always hit the scoreboard, the trouble was it was always 1.3 but since the end of 2018 he’s really turned it around. I’m expecting 30+ goals from Lonie as well.

Lonies form since breaking back into the side in 2018 has been good. It's only injury that disrupted him from having a very good year last year.

Was one of our best players in that block in late 2018 early 2019 before injury.

I rate him highly. He might not be consistent with kicking bags of goals but he's more than just a crumbing forward. He's able to push high up the ground and create play.

Good post & spot on

He has really worked hard to get senior games- he put in some big efforts at Sandy a couple of years back- a good lesson for those wanting to push for senior selection..don't go through the motions- take the game on.

The one area which seems to be a real weakness is he doesn't seem to be able to stick a tackle and gets pushed off. Yet other players his size or even smaller (Caleb Daniel) seem to be able to take players down.

Cam Mooney is a massive Lonie fan. Go back to Marsh 1 when Lonedog snapped that crumb from the pocket. Mooney saying he is Milney-esque and a special player.

Now usually I disregard much of what past players say but in this case (and as a former Lonedog advocate) I have to agree.

#bestsincemilney

Not a hater just a realist. A number of teams use his opponent to charge out of defence and in the past North Melbourne have been one of them. Yes he kicks goals but when he is not, he is the biggest liability in the team due to his lack of pace and stature. He doesnt have the presence of an Eddie Betts who makes his opponent lock down and worry about him. He struggles to create any defensive pressure on quicker players as is required with all small forwards. As I said he is great when he is kicking goals but otherwise ????
No you are far from a realist, clearly not a fan of his. He is a pressure forward and kicks goals. he is in our best 22 when playing well just like anyone else.

Cam Mooney is a massive Lonie fan. Go back to Marsh 1 when Lonedog snapped that crumb from the pocket. Mooney saying he is Milney-esque and a special player.

Now usually I disregard much of what past players say but in this case (and as a former Lonedog advocate) I have to agree.

#bestsincemilney
I like Lonie very good player but not even close to Milne, Mileny was a superstar and one of the most underrated players there has been in the AFL
Best small forward since KB

No you are far from a realist, clearly not a fan of his. He is a pressure forward and kicks goals. he is in our best 22 when playing well just like anyone else.
Agreed he is one of our best pressure players. He plays the hardest position on the ground, tucked away in a pocket, and for a guy his age he does it very well. Easily best 22.

No doubt IS remembers as do i but i don't use injury as an excuse for poor form which was displayed over many weeks last year. At one stage he didn't want to chase his man which he copped a pasting over. I was looking at the positives as we all know what he is capable of and perhaps he is mentally ready to take that next step.

Who’s using injury as an excuse.....it wasn’t an ingrown toenail, he had a pretty bad knee injury. But up until then he was flying.

You are.

He was picked to play when given the all clear by medical.
Lonies last 10 games prior to getting injured last year

GWS 21 touches 2 goals
WB 21touches 2 goals
Ess 11 touches 2 goals
Haw 18 touches 4 goals
North 9 touches 2 goals
GC 22 touches 2 goals
Ess 12 touches 0 goals
Freo 15 touches 1 goal
Haw 17 touches 3 goals
Melb 15 touches 1 goal

He didn't quite hit the same form after coming back from that injury last year but was still able to average a goal a game afterwards.

The fact the coaches through him straight back in after what was a fairly serious imjury shows how highly he is rated at the club too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Dunstan doesn't? he's just as bad if not worse than seb. played well on saturday, but was Literally on his own in the middle on sunday and shanked a 40m wormburner which was lucky to get 10ft off the ground.
I think if it comes to selection i'd rather go with our reigning Best and Fairest over Dunstan.

Yeah they both have a case of the shanks every now and then, my point was more swap Dunstan for Seb and you're probably not gonna get a huge increase in kicking quality going forward. It's not like a comparison of Dunstan to Hill or Dunstan to Billings. They're pretty like-for-like with disposal quality IMO.

J. Noble played on Lonie against Collingwood. D. Greaves against Hawthorn.

Noble had 23 possessions, 20 uncontested, 304 metres gained and was 5th for the Pies in metres gained.

Greaves 17 possessions, 11 uncontested, 468 metres gained = 4th overall.

It would be interesting to see how many of his opponents surges out of defence ended in scores?

He tries hard, but if people think he is an affective defensive small forward, they arent truly watching the game. We need someone to kick the goals which he has done, but I stand by my statement that he is a liability when not scoring.

J. Noble played on Lonie against Collingwood. D. Greaves against Hawthorn.

Noble had 23 possessions, 20 uncontested, 304 metres gained and was 5th for the Pies in metres gained.

Greaves 17 possessions, 11 uncontested, 468 metres gained = 4th overall.

It would be interesting to see how many of his opponents surges out of defence ended in scores?

He tries hard, but if people think he is an affective defensive small forward, they arent truly watching the game.
Lonie kicked 4 goals in both games.

If he does that every week, then who cares about how many tackles he lays.

You are.

He was picked to play when given the all clear by medical.

What are you talking about?
Lonie was having a very, very good season until he did serious damage to his knee - which was my point. Maybe you need to go and review a few games.

It matters if his efforts are conceeding 5 goals a game. If his opponent is able to get off the leash and delivering scoring chains.

Yep, I think he led the Marsh Series for goals, amazingly.

He has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 12 months.

If he's able to hit the scoreboard that often during the season we'll win more games than we lose.

Yep, I think he led the Marsh Series for goals, amazingly.

He has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 12 months.

If he's able to hit the scoreboard that often during the season we'll win more games than we lose.

If he's kicking 4 a game he'll win the Coleman.

It matters if his efforts are conceeding 5 goals a game. If his opponent is able to get off the leash and delivering scoring chains.
IIRC last year, moving the ball from deep in your defensive half, in an unbroken chain, for a resultant goal, the odds of that happening in a game are 6%
That's 1-1.5 goals per game
If his opponent is able to get off the leash and deliver multiple scoring chains (5 goals per game) then the figure above would suggest that it's more from a lack of team defence rather than purely Lonie's efforts

If he's kicking 4 a game he'll win the Coleman.
The Gary Coleman?

uGOYxui.jpg

Are you for real?? some of you people are clueless. who won the game? oh that's right it was the saints. And Lonie's contribution was clearly significant in both wins. Not sure what you are watching but I have seen him chase down backmen many times, sure he doesn't always succeed but do you expect him to win every contest and kick his 4 goals a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back