Game Day Marsh Series- Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Richmond(Norm Minns Oval - 4:10PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested to see how we do go in against the Saints. Mihocek is a definite starter, as is Grundy.

There's no way we play two of Cox, Cameron and Reid. Do we have another look at Cameron already knowing largely what Cox brings? Or do we name both and sub one for the other at half time?

Liked the look of Cameron but when Cox is on, he's on.

I actually wondered if they were keen to look a the structure of 4 talls mid / fwd and how it played out - Grundy in for Reid and maybe play the other 3 tall blokes as per Sunday. Different to last year but Buckley may be thinking about given it worked yesterday.

Cameron/Cox rotate centre ruck and fwd and Grundy as the tallest centre square midfielder in the AFL/boundary ruck ? He is a clearance machine.......

LOL :D

I went to a training session last month and Grundy was actually playing as a rover and Cameron was up against Lynch.

It was completely ineffective. As a ruckman, he is a terrific clearance player. His skill is to tap it down, and follow it up with a tackle or second possession. A lot of his clearance numbers are actually from him grabbing out of the ruck and booting it.

But playing as a pure midfielder, he is too tall and slow and immobile to go with other mids.

In general play, he is also very effective because he out-works his opposition ruckman. But if you had Grundy up against a normal midfielder, they would out-run him and get very dangerous in general play. Grundy wouldn't have the tank or speed to go with them.

Ok, got to watch the last quarter now so here are a few thoughts;

WHE - will be fine. Is a gun and we need him in the side linking the front and back halves. Bucks has said we will be more attacking this year, and WHE is essential to us generating faster ball movement, especially on the wider MCG. Too much emphasis is being placed on a praccy match.

Keane - to my mind should be up for selection ahead of Murphy. Murphy is a lovely kick but still too light and too slow. If we need a third tall defender, alongside Moore and Roughy, and Shaz hasn’t come up we can keep Keane on speed dial. Development this year will be great to watch.

Rantall - contradicting what I just said about putting too much emphasis on praccy matches, I’m ready to go the early call on Rantall. He will make it. The question is how far will he go?

Bianco - didn’t see enough, but kicking was as advertised.

Phillips - not a great praccy match, but narrow grounds are not his go. He’ll be fine..

Cameron - very promising, would like to see more impact as a forward, but then again our kicking into the forward line was worse than abysmal. Should convert at a very high rate which is important because our small forwards are so good.

De Goey - is the difference in midfield. Must play nearly 50-50 for us to be competitive at clearances this year. Totally changes the way we look in the midfield because he is proactive rather than reactive.

Daicos - used it well when he had it, but I didn’t see the impact that many others apparently saw. Not yet convinced he has, or will, make the leap.

Atu - not ready.

Reid - depth.

Tyler - developing but not ready.

Cal - already a very good, clever player and if he can develop further will be a gun.
I have been very bullish on Daicos, there was something there in this game but I tend to agree that he needs to impact more. He has to get his hands on it more and take his game to another level. There were signs but not enough for me. I still think he will take the next step this year.

JDG, when he goes, he goes.

I went to a training session last month and Grundy was actually playing as a rover and Cameron was up against Lynch.

It was completely ineffective. As a ruckman, he is a terrific clearance player. His skill is to tap it down, and follow it up with a tackle or second possession. A lot of his clearance numbers are actually from him grabbing out of the ruck and booting it.

But playing as a pure midfielder, he is too tall and slow and immobile to go with other mids.

In general play, he is also very effective because he out-works his opposition ruckman. But if you had Grundy up against a normal midfielder, they would out-run him and get very dangerous in general play. Grundy wouldn't have the tank or speed to go with them.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!!!!!!

If Grundy has improvement in him (more effective ruck taps) then that’s only bad news for the rest of the competition.

Leave him where he is!!!!! If he’s having a bad day then we have perfectly suitable backups. Otherwise he should spend 85 percent of his time on the ball, 5 percent floating around the ground doing whatever he wants, and 10 percent on the bench.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a perfectly fair bump. If there was no head contact I can’t see any possible reason for the MRO to step in.
Agree - even if it was deemed to be of sufficient impact to be reportable (don't think it was), at worst it would be assessed as intentional, low impact to the body. A fine at worst. And the end of shepherding as we know it.

Ok, got to watch the last quarter now so here are a few thoughts;

WHE - will be fine. Is a gun and we need him in the side linking the front and back halves. Bucks has said we will be more attacking this year, and WHE is essential to us generating faster ball movement, especially on the wider MCG. Too much emphasis is being placed on a praccy match.

Keane - to my mind should be up for selection ahead of Murphy. Murphy is a lovely kick but still too light and too slow. If we need a third tall defender, alongside Moore and Roughy, and Shaz hasn’t come up we can keep Keane on speed dial. Development this year will be great to watch.

Rantall - contradicting what I just said about putting too much emphasis on praccy matches, I’m ready to go the early call on Rantall. He will make it. The question is how far will he go?

Bianco - didn’t see enough, but kicking was as advertised.

Phillips - not a great praccy match, but narrow grounds are not his go. He’ll be fine..

Cameron - very promising, would like to see more impact as a forward, but then again our kicking into the forward line was worse than abysmal. Should convert at a very high rate which is important because our small forwards are so good.

De Goey - is the difference in midfield. Must play nearly 50-50 for us to be competitive at clearances this year. Totally changes the way we look in the midfield because he is proactive rather than reactive.

Daicos - used it well when he had it, but I didn’t see the impact that many others apparently saw. Not yet convinced he has, or will, make the leap.

Atu - not ready.

Reid - depth.

Tyler - developing but not ready.

Cal - already a very good, clever player and if he can develop further will be a gun.

Agree with most

Never a big fan of Phillips so rather see a new kid or look to have WHE on the wing to fit Elliot, JDG, Stevo & Thomas up forward or 3 only

Think Reid is still an option (really needs to stick his nearly marks though)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buckley singled him out for praise post match. That’s a bog standard Phillips game and he’s just an average user that will be there come Rd 1.
Agree. Disposal was a bit below normal, but a preseason par - the mediocre users, particularly when its ball drop related, are always at their worst early in the year.

I did initially go WTF with 'bog standard' until I realised you weren't talking about best on ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back