Shield Match 10: South Australia v Queensland, Karen Rolton Oval, 23-26 Nov 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen any play today but this sounds good, runs on a difficult batting pitch bodes well.
It hasn't done anything crazy tbf. It's been a little up and down but fairly inconsistently and not a whole lot sideways.

The bowling has been tight though, not a whole lot of freebies, and they've been bowling to a fairly obvious plan so he has done well.

Did anyone have "Sandhu bowling grenades for Qld" on their 2021/22 Shield Bingo Cards?
Has to be him and Meredith with the new ball at the GABBA doesn't it?

How do SA fans feel about Pope?

Not sure to be honest. He's a genuine #12 with the bat, not a great fielder, and although he can bowl the odd unplayable delivery, bowls way too many wrong-uns and has an average in the 60s. He's young, especially for a spinner, but he really needs to start showing something soon.

Speaking of showing something .... Burns 1 run from 48 balls, are you kidding me?

Not sure to be honest. He's a genuine #12 with the bat, not a great fielder, and although he can bowl the odd unplayable delivery, bowls way too many wrong-uns and has an average in the 60s. He's young, especially for a spinner, but he really needs to start showing something soon.

Speaking of showing something .... Burns 1 run from 48 balls, are you kidding me?
He has to play club cricket, he bowls one to two s**t balls and over and you can’t get away with that at FC level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sangha coming in for NSW and looking very accurate and capable straight away doesn't bode well for Pope.

Sangha may be the exception to the rule, but he has to improve asap.

Sangha coming in for NSW and looking very accurate and capable straight away doesn't bode well for Pope.

Sangha may be the exception to the rule, but he has to improve asap.

Pope's main problem right now is surviving at 1st class level. Playing for Australia is a distance too far away at this point in time.

Reminds me a little of Krazy.

Can turn it and bowl the wicket ball several times an innings, but in between that will be carted.

Krejza never quite got the defensive aspects of bowling down and it cost him, Pope is still young enough so hopefully he gets there.

I'd say Sangha has already raced past him as the best young spinning prospect in Aus.

Once teams worked out it was the wrong'un that was the wicket taking delivery, Pope hasn't been the same. He took that 7/87 v QLD early on with basically all wrong'uns.

Once teams worked out it was the wrong'un that was the wicket taking delivery, Pope hasn't been the same. He took that 7/87 v QLD early on with basically all wrong'uns.
I do remember watching the highlights of that and noticing the same thing. I thought "That's great, but it would've been nice if a few of those were with leggies"

0/100 in the second innings of that match from memory

Adelaide Hawk. Where do you see the problems. I have taken a closer look at SAussie cricket last year or so as am impressed where SACA is going with its underage red ball pathway. Unlike my own state. As I understand it, you have embedded into the Premier Cricket (club) program 13,14,16 and 18 yr sides. I think this is a big step in the direction SA cricket needs to head. With the added professional training, coaching and other ancillary aspects that Premier Cricket offers these boys are learning earlier than some others states what is needed to reach state level red ball cricket. So surely this, in the long run, will negate the annoying need for SACA to look outside your own state for players. I am already seeing some talent emerging..such as the Kelly twins, both of whom I saw play and perform in a couple of CA exhibition matches in Tassie mid last year. Interested to know just how long this underage PC system has been in place.

It's all been in place for decades. Nothing new going on at all. All this was put into place when Ray Sutton was running the show back in the 1980s. The major problems are with the structure of the grade cricket system. We have one club that has no junior program and survives by recruitment of players from other clubs and interstate .... a "boys club" for want of a better term. SACA already has extensive limited over competitions, and yet half the games in the "2 day competition" are one-day matches as well. And if a team gets bowled out for SFA and the other team overtakes them after 15 overs, that's it. Pack up stumps and go home. It's crap. So much for time in the middle.

The "elite" competition comprises 13 clubs which is clearly too many. Some people think it should be 10, some even push for 8. I've spoken with several Redbacks coaches and they all point out the same problems, but nothing changes. The talent is spread far too thinly at A Grade level and the step up from Grade to Shield is too great. Attacks are not concentrated enough and batsmen who fail at shield level return to grade and peel off big 100s against popgun bowling. 10-15 years ago there was a push for merging of clubs, but it was met with great indifference. A couple of clubs worked towards it, but nothing happened, as usual.

Carey's a different case as it's just a slump right now, but he cannot buy a run in shield, comes back to grade and helps himself to 155 in the middle of shield scores 0, 7, 6, 2, 3. Lehmann's been doing it for years. Helps himself to big hundreds at grade level and keeps getting picked for SA. Bowlers are too used to a daily workload of 10 overs, plus in order to succeed at T20, they need to bowl variety every ball. They are not being taught how to group their deliveries and maintain pressure. Batsmen can just wait for 2-3 balls and they get something they can spank for 4.

In my time in the grade scene, I've identified several "talents" who had the ability and temperament to play at the highest level, only to see their careers dismantled by the demands of limited over cricket. I'm talking both batsmen and bowlers.

In the 25 seasons since Redbacks last won the shield in 1995-96, they have finished 2nd twice, 3rd three times, 4th four times, 5th twice, and stone motherless last no less than 14 times (including 9 times in the past 12 seasons). 20 of the 25 seasons we've finished in the bottom half, and yet nothing ever changes. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

You paint a pretty bleak picture. So you are saying when a promising red ball cricketer emerges he drowns in limited overs white ball and that since the unpopular Seconds 23 + age rule you are having too many Shield failures coming back and taking the young promising cricketer's place thus degrading the bridge comp between club/grade and Shield. I think that is happening in all states. Your Jake Lehmann is our Nick Larkin.

Carey is in a slump now but the bigger picture with him is he has averaged @55 FC across 12 games over two seasons. He gets my vote as the next Australian Test keeper.

I agree with you on Carey, just using him as an example of how players struggling for shield runs find runs so easy to come by at grade level.

I could give many examples of limited over cricket stunting the development of a player, but I will concentrate on one player in particular. His name is Cameron Borgas. I followed his career since he was a kid at school, he used to make hundreds out of habit. Was playing A grade cricket at 16, Sheffield Shield at 17.

Here was a lad who looked to have it all. Extremely well organised at the crease, full array of shots, excellent use of the feet, and he knew how to build an innings. Occupation of the crease early, increasing in tempo as his innings progressed. He made some of the best 100s I've seen at grade level. I still have memory of him in a semi-final facing Peter George when George was a Test bowler, and Borgas kept pulling him into the trees on the mid wicket boundary for 6. He found himself batting 3 for SA and made three impressive 100s.

Then came T20. He walked in at #8 one day, made 31 from 9 balls and that was it. Selectors determined his future was with the T20 team and he eventually lost his spot in the shield team as they batted him lower and lower. Played the next couple of years batting middle/lower order in T20 and eventually lost his spot there as well. By then, the damage had been done.

Facts are, although SA has provided some wonderful home grown contributors to Australian cricket over the years, the Chappells, Hookes, Lehmann, Gillespie, Blewett, etc, they have been few and far between, and we have ostensibly relied upon interstate and overseas players for our successes.

In the 1930s, a couple of shield wins made possible by Don Bradman (NSW), Jack Badcock (Tas) and Clarrie Grimmett (NZ & Victoria).

1952-53: Colin Pinch (NSW), Les Favell (NSW), Graeme Hole (NSW), Jack Wilson (Vic)
1963-64: Garfield Sobers (West Indies), Les Favell captain (NSW)
1968-69: Favell captain (NSW). Terry Jenner (WA), Ashley Mallett (WA)
1970-71: Barry Richards (South Africa), Jenner & Mallett (WA)
1975-76: Gary Cosier (Vic), Rodney Hogg (Vic), Jenner, Mallett, Stan Wilson and Denis Yagmich (WA)
1981-82: Jeff Crowe (NZ), John Inverarity (WA), Kevin Wright (WA), Ross McLellan (Vic)
1995-96: Jamie Siddons (Vic) - captain, James Brayshaw (WA), Peter McIntyre (Vic), Brad Wigney (Vic), Paul Wilson (NSW).

Had we relied upon home grown talent, I doubt if we'd won much at all over the past 90 years or so. :)

Last edited:
Cameron Borgas
I remember him. Yes a fine cricketer. 1891 @30.5 FC is not exactly earth shattering tho. SACA gave him 37 matches to prove himself in red ball. Managed to pass 50 only 12 times. He may have had all those good attributes you listed but these figures show he lacked consistency.. which spells poor concentration to me.

If you can produce the Chappells, Lehmann, Hookes, Blewett etc, you should be able to keep on producing other players of this calibre. The secret is to place an emphasis on teaching kids red ball cricket at a young age at a strong level. The SACA PC system is doing that, the WACA and the TAS Cricket PC system are doing that.

The big problem as I see it is CA does not see the big picture and they run underage cricket at the national level. Do we see a red ball component in the underage nationals.. no not one match.. all white ball. So the best of these kids in my state, Qld, Vic are virtually going directly from elite white ball cricket into state red ball cricket. No wonder so many of them flounder. Two in my state Jason Sangha and Jack Edwards are prime examples of this white ball-centric national pathway system. Steve Waugh's boy was a victim also of this and betting there have been dozens of others over at least the past two decades..

"This is so exciting for South Australian cricket; it is just such a positive story, Thomas and Corey have worked so hard to get to this point, they have earned their place."
Jason Gillespie speaking about the Kelly twins state debut next week. Not red ball but.. you guessed it.. Marsh Cup debut. This is the mentality that surrounds cricket in this country. Everything is geared towards producing the best white ball cricketers. And why do Thomas and Corey have to prove themselves first in one day limited overs cricket before red ball because white ball (underage nationals) is where they were first discovered. I can tell you unequivocally that the SACA PC junior program is working as both twins have red ball ability with both bat and ball. I have seen it for myself and against seconds level cricketers older and more experienced..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back