News Match Review Panel - Tribunal thread . May 3 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

so it looks like we haven't heard the end of this just yet. Marcus Ashcroft said on afl360 tonight that the club will consider appealing the tribunals decision

so it looks like we haven't heard the end of this just yet. Marcus Ashcroft said on afl360 tonight that the club will consider appealing the tribunals decision
So they ******* should! The comments on the AFL and GC Suns' FB posts regarding the decision are hilarious. What a stupid, stupid decision.

Excuse me for barging in on your board. Steven May has been very harshly dealt with by the tribunal. The Crows are desperate to get back on the winners list, but not like this. May spoke with real class after the decision was given and I really felt sorry for him. He acted as I would have thought his coach would expect him to. I hope that he comes back even bigger and better after his break.
I think that the Suns should appeal this tribunal decision if it's possible.

Ballantyne got away with the hit on Jaensch because Matty isn't a protected player or even known in Victoria.

You wouldn't find a single coach in any level of footy that would think that May did anything wrong at all. Shows how ludicrous this is.

agree with sentiment from fellow posters but I was one who was concerned once he was cited that we were going to appeal.
The rules on head high contact have been well documented over the past few seasons and whilst there has been some inconsistency with how it has applied I felt as soon as Rockliff was incapacitated that May was in trouble.
I am actually disappointed we appealed and blame the Footy ops for following through and costing May an extra week.
Fyfe is a superstar and was done twice with this rule and others less innocuous players and incidents have gone down.
It was clear what the appeals outcome was going to be. And we cannot afford May out for any extra weeks.
Head high hits are a bygone era and irrespective of where the ball was, May went the player and he has to cop the repercussions of head high contact.
Am disappointed that rational and logical views of the incident and tribunal verdict were not followed as they should have not appealed.

This happened almost right in front of me and it looked like he was winded or had re-injured his ribs, because it was a bump you would see numerous times in every game of every week and hundreds of times each year throughout the league.

Elbow tucked in ... Shoulder didn't come up at all ... Feet stayed on the ground and if anything he seemed to drop his body slightly. It seemed quite innocuous actually and I don't think anyone could work out why Rockliff went down.

The umpires certainly didn't have an issue with it and didn't pay a free kick (and the closest umpire was in a pretty good position).
The Brisbane players didn't remonstrate with Maysie over it so they didn't think it was unfair.
The media and literally the whole football world don't have any problem with the fact is was not only a fair bump, but a bloody good bump using seemingly perfect technique.

So how is it that the only 3 people in the universe to think there's something wrong with it just happen to be on the MRP? Are they the 3 judges from the Mayweather fight by any chance?

To sum it up, it creates more grey area in the game yet again and will create doubt, confusion and frustration for players and fans.
It pretty much says that you can only bump someone if you are shorter than them but no matter how perfectly you execute the bump, you will be rubbed out if the other player gets injured ... if they don't get injured then you probably won't have any case to answer.

Bloody disgraceful.

This rates as one of the worst decisions I have seen by the tribunal ... Absolute joke this kid got the same suspension as Hodge.
.... Hodge had no excuse .. He probably got off light IMO ... 3 weeks is a gift

No comparision to May ... At least May could claim it was a legit contest for the ball, not just trying to take some guys' head off

2 weeks down to 1 ... And a warning ... all it should have got

This rates as one of the worst decisions I have seen by the tribunal ... Absolute joke this kid got the same suspension as Hodge.
.... Hodge had no excuse .. He probably got off light IMO ... 3 weeks is a gift

No comparision to May ... At least May could claim it was a legit contest for the ball, not just trying to take some guys' head off

2 weeks down to 1 ... And a warning ... all it should have got

A warning?

We shouldn't even be talking about it FFS.

Suns are an easy target for the trbunal to make an example of
You'd nearly buy it if there was consistency, but one of the major reasons we appealed is because there was an apparent precedent set with the Ballantyne case
The MRP and Tribunal are all over the place

Eade: guys don't bump anymore please.

GC players: why?

Eade: if you need a few weeks off just elbow the face instead.

Eade: better yet put a Hawks jumper on first, that way you'll get the MRP discount.

Deadset Hodge = May proves how this competition is run by amateurs. Farce of a decision and he shouldn't have even got a week!

Oh well at least we know #chooklotto lives on. Bad luck guys.

KangarooCourt_8592.jpg

"'Precedent'? What is this thing you call 'precedent'?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually just saw the footage for the first time. 3 weeks for that?? Somewhat similar to Fyfe's one which also was a disgraceful decision. So it seems that not only the bumps dead but actually contesting the ball within the spirit of the game is in jeopardy. WTF????

The other comparison I can recall was Buddy's bump on Cousins which was merely contesting a ball and a clash due to height differential. No malic but copped a couple. This makes me furious.

This happened almost right in front of me and it looked like he was winded or had re-injured his ribs, because it was a bump you would see numerous times in every game of every week and hundreds of times each year throughout the league.

Elbow tucked in ... Shoulder didn't come up at all ... Feet stayed on the ground and if anything he seemed to drop his body slightly. It seemed quite innocuous actually and I don't think anyone could work out why Rockliff went down.

The umpires certainly didn't have an issue with it and didn't pay a free kick (and the closest umpire was in a pretty good position).
The Brisbane players didn't remonstrate with Maysie over it so they didn't think it was unfair.
The media and literally the whole football world don't have any problem with the fact is was not only a fair bump, but a bloody good bump using seemingly perfect technique.

So how is it that the only 3 people in the universe to think there's something wrong with it just happen to be on the MRP? Are they the 3 judges from the Mayweather fight by any chance?

To sum it up, it creates more grey area in the game yet again and will create doubt, confusion and frustration for players and fans.
It pretty much says that you can only bump someone if you are shorter than them but no matter how perfectly you execute the bump, you will be rubbed out if the other player gets injured ... if they don't get injured then you probably won't have any case to answer.

Bloody disgraceful.

This, especially the bit about the umpires and the Brisbane players.

One thing that ended up costing Maysie was that Rockliff is always super courageous and it looked like, rather than protect himself by turning his shoulder, he kept himself open and looked to soccer the ball. Of course, this is why a lot of opposition fans really rate Rocky but if he turns his shoulder there is not likely to be contact with the jaw.

Another case where the end result of high contact dictated the punishment. Shudder to think what the 2 Hawks would have got if Swallow and/or Goldstein were concussed or heaven forbid got a broken bone. Big numbers.

This, especially the bit about the umpires and the Brisbane players.

One thing that ended up costing Maysie was that Rockliff is always super courageous and it looked like, rather than protect himself by turning his shoulder, he kept himself open and looked to soccer the ball. Of course, this is why a lot of opposition fans really rate Rocky but if he turns his shoulder there is not likely to be contact with the jaw.
You make a good point. It's reasonable that there is a duty of care on one player not to recklessly/intentionally make a head high impact on another player. But surely there is also a duty of care on a player not to put themselves in a position to receive a head high impact.

Common sense would surely indicate that in this case May did his bit (elbow tucked, feet stayed on ground, primary impact on middle of the body) and shouldn't be penalised if the other player displays 'reckless' courage (or simply misjudges the situation).

It is seriously bullshit. Trying to look at it completely objectively still leaves me mystified.

May and Rockliff ran to the ball diagonally parallel to one another and collided at an angle. May, as the bigger player, has sent Rockliff to the ground. The only point May's eyes turned to Rockliff was a microsecond before the collision, by which time it was far too late to do anything. Even if May realised he was about to send Rockliff into the ground and attempted to stop, he'd have injured himself instead.

If it's up to the taller player to make sure the small players' heads aren't coming into contact with their body, then the game has become a ******* joke. Rocky is 183cm, May is 190cm. May is a heavy defender, Rockliff is a light midfielder. What the **** does the AFL expect to happen?

The club SHOULD contest it. What a ******* joke.

**** the MRP.
Cant agree more . Compare this to Lewis and Hodge who got what they deserved with 2 and 3 . May tucked his shoulder in and did not leave the ground . Even considering the height difference, it was pure bad luck that the point of his shoulder connected. Im sure no malice was intended. It wasnt a bump from behind or head on
Players are bumping in to each other many times a game to gain the position advantage. Are we going to take this away from our game ?
Im flabbergasted that May got more than Lewis and the same as Hodge!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back