MCG tenants on Grand Final day

Remove this Banner Ad

They pay the AFL by choice, they dont join their club by choice.

You appear to join the AFL because its better value than anything your club offers. Thats you choice & it should NEVER entitle you to a GF seat over those whose club earn the right to be there.

And there you have it. The real injustice

Have not read all pages, but not sure about the OP. Since 2000 when Docklands opened and Vic clubs took up their current home grounds, in games between MCG clubs and non MCG, we have had seven wins by MCG clubs (Hawthorn x 4, Richmond x 2 & Pies) and five by non MCG clubs (Essendon, Swans, Lions x 2 & Cats).

You do realise that ground rationalisation was progressive?

You realise this resulted in a progressive number of Melbourne clubs becoming more familiar with the mcg and in turn increasing their home ground advantage over non tenants?

Essendon went from playing 2 games at the G in 1991, to 12 in 1992 to 16 in 1999

Pies a similar story 3 at the G in 1991, 6 in 1992 and 13 by 1999

Carlton played 1 at the G in 1991, but by 1999 played 9 at the G
Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton became more familiar with the mcg over this period.

We didn’t

The mid to late 90s was when most games were played at the G because

Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond, North, Collingwood and Carlton were ‘tenants’
Melbourne clubs started playing more games at the g, we didn’t

That’s the point

Basic logic tells you that if seven teams call the same ground ‘home’ that it has become a more neutral ground! Everyone is more familiar with it!!
You’d think so, wouldn’t you

But no only a privileged few clubs have become more familiar with the mcg, while the rest of us get to become familiar with places like marvel, alphabet stadium, Alice springs and Tasmania

Giving the privileged ones a leg up

Ground rationalisation has resulted in teams like west Coast having gone from running around on the mcg on grand final day with a combined 8 games under their belt in 1992 and 94

To only having a combined 3 games experience in 2015 and 18

While clubs like Collingwood and Hawthorn went from a handful of mcg games in the early 90’s, to as many as 14

Doesn’t add up, does it

You realise this resulted in a progressive number of Melbourne clubs becoming more familiar with the mcg and in turn increasing their home ground advantage over non tenants?
Richmond don't play matches at their home ground. They play next door, at the MCG.

Collingwood and Carlton became more familiar with the mcg over this period.

But no only a privileged few clubs have become more familiar with the mcg, while the rest of us get to become familiar with places like marvel, alphabet stadium, Alice springs and Tasmania

Speaking of familiarity and its advantages, it's fair to say that the West Coast Eagles have the benefit of becoming more familiar with air travel. A serious leg-up there.

Richmond don't play matches at their home ground. They play next door, at the MCG.

Speaking of familiarity and its advantages, it's fair to say that the West Coast Eagles have the benefit of becoming more familiar with air travel. A serious leg-up there.

Whatcha talking about Willis ? It's actually been medically proven over many years of service that the average career of a player who plays for a WA based club throughout their entire career is lesser than any other player who ply out their career at none WA based clubs, due to the toll all the long and constant travel it has on their bodies.

You can't use what has happened since the game as evidence for what would have happened in the game. Much of Adelaides self-induced implosion comes from losing that final - had they won do you think that camp happens as it did?

HGA is a real thing and no it doesn't all of a sudden disappear because its a final. Adelaide had beaten GWS and Geeling convincingly at AO on the way to the GF. I don't see how you can suggest otherwise using evidence from the time, not since.

The Crows didnt think it was a factor, not sure why you would?

The captain booking an extra seat for the trophy is clear illustration that your club had no qualms or fears about playing the GF in Melbourne.

Maybe, just maybe, the better team won, regardless of where it was played.

The Crows didnt think it was a factor, not sure why you would?

The captain booking an extra seat for the trophy is clear illustration that your club had no qualms or fears about playing the GF in Melbourne.

Maybe, just maybe, the better team won, regardless of where it was played.

No one is suggesting the better team does not win, & you'd hope a team captain thought they could win. It does not mean:
The Crows didnt think it was a factor

Last edited:
No one is suggesting the better does not win, & you'd hope a team captain thought they could win. It does not mean:
The Crows didnt think it was a factor

I would say as a rationalist footy fan who supports a Vic based club, we will never know how much of a factor the G is in deciding Premiership wins , unless we have a 10 (If not 20) year window of playing AFL Grand Finals interstate/on neutral venues

I tend to find myself siding with non Vic club fans on this issue, i strongly feel they have ample enough evidence to support their argument..

Given their success and pedigree, the West Coast Eagles deserve to host and celebrate the grand final in Perth one day (for example)

I also think that the non Vic Clubs need to make a much bigger fuss/fight about this issue the next time the Grand Final Hosting rights come up.

We also get to fly east for our matches, you forgot that one. That’s a biggie too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The adelaide grand final would be the best argument for the OP. They had had a convincing win over the tigers that year. The tigers didn’t travel well in 2017.

The other games where an mcg tenant won when they had an apparent home advantage which was not ‘earned’
- not so much
Hawthorn over geelong 2008. - famous underdog victory ant the cats supposedly had more final experience. Didnt travel so far either
Bulldogs over sydney 2016. Sydney actually had more MCG games that year
Hawthorn over sydney 2014. Did i mention sydneys best players were ex hawks? Hawks beat sydney 2 times out of 3 that year
Hawthorn over eagles 2015. The rules actually had the hawks as top team on the ticket because they eliminated the top team. I believe this gas changed since. Hawks beat eagles 2 times out of 3 that year including winning a subiaco game

The other times the mcg tenant won, they were the designated home team

Last edited:
Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton became more familiar with the mcg over this period.

We didn’t
Melbourne clubs started playing more games at the g, we didn’t

That’s the point

So what do you want then? Want to play more games at the G and less at Optus? Why not become a G tenant? Would that stop your whining?

Whatcha talking about Willis ? It's actually been medically proven over many years of service that the average career of a player who plays for a WA based club throughout their entire career is lesser than any other player who ply out their career at none WA based clubs, due to the toll all the long and constant travel it has on their bodies.

I have an answer, base WC and Freo in Melbourne. They can become a G tenant!

I'm gonna call Gil now!

I've found the answer everyone!

So it seems we've gone over the same issues ad nausem year on year, with valid reasons as to the why of below.
  • WA teams travel more than others
  • G tenants have more familiarity with the GF venue
  • G tenants have less HGA than non vic clubs
  • G tenants have more neutral games than non vic clubs
  • You can't announce a GF venue in the space of a week, it has to be organized much earlier than that
  • Ch7 and by extension HQ wouldn't want to televise the game world wide with less capacity because of "optics"
  • MCC has too much influence on the GF venue and the competition in general
Trouble is no one to this point has come up with a valid solution.

Can't everyone just STFU and accept the comp for what it is? Why bother if it p155es you all off so much?

This is the one thing I can't get my head around, all non vic fans do is complain yet they stick phat with the comp that they complain about - ironic really.

Give the trolling a rest.

Its a Tigers thing ... nothing to say & desperate for attention.

I also think that the non Vic Clubs need to make a much bigger fuss/fight about this issue the next time the Grand Final Hosting rights come up.

Dont see it lasting to 2057, its so obviously flawed .. who knows what it will take. As I mentioned earlier it was eddie & the Pies that forced the AFL & the MCC to allow teams the right to earn home town Prelim Finals - we'd still be playing all Prelims in Melbourne if it were up to the AFL & MCC.

Gil will have the GF extension as the headline of his tenure. I hold Mr Goyder & his fellow commissioners primarily responsible for the AFL standing with the venue manager & the State Government (both with very strong reasons for wanting to maintain the status quo). That the discussions locked out any outside party is reason enough to question and that the arrangement was presented as a fait accompli is also questionable.

So it seems we've gone over the same issues ad nausem year on year, with valid reasons as to the why of below.
  • You can't announce a GF venue in the space of a week, it has to be organized much earlier than that
  • Ch7 and by extension HQ wouldn't want to televise the game world wide with less capacity because of "optics"

Can't everyone just STFU and accept the comp for what it is? Why bother if it p155es you all off so much?

This is the one thing I can't get my head around, all non vic fans do is complain yet they stick phat with the comp that they complain about - ironic really.

The AFL has been prepared to change sometimes, e.g Prelim Finals are earned now, why give up on the GF.

That the day of the State Leagues is long time is accepted by all but some in the AFL who continue with the VFL/AFL records.

This site is becoming embarrassing. How many new threads can we open up to carry on like tall poppies?

I promise you all now that because of all of this nonsense being thrown around - rather than admit Richmond are the best side in the league has made all of us tigers want to become more boastful and obnoxious than after 17'.
Day woofd dog meow cant think but hasslehoff

Well there probably isn’t much a Vic team supporter could really complain about!!

I think you are right though, it’s becoming a bit drawn out the same debates year after year.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion yet won’t accept when others disagree with it and it goes on an on like this thread has. The AFL is about money, nothing else matters. They sing lots of tunes like player and club welfare but deep down it’s about dollars and how they look to Joe bloggs in the street. The clubs themselves clearly have little say in things and toe the company line.

like you said, just accept it for what it is, a hybrid version of Aussie rules footy, a huge financial money making machine. Thousands enjoy it and as nothing can be done to fixing its issues that many think are there.
the Clubs themselves don’t seem to care so why should there supporters worry about it.

The AFL has been prepared to change sometimes, e.g Prelim Finals are earned now, why give up on the GF.

That the day of the State Leagues is long time is accepted by all but some in the AFL who continue with the VFL/AFL records.

The GF is locked in til 2057, it's pointless crying rivers or throwing toys out of the cot at other posters on a footy forum - those who do are barking at the wrong cloud. Even if everyone barked at HQ nothing will change because the bulk of the market and ch7 don't mind it staying at the G.

Dismiss VFL records all you like but the inescapable fact it's the same league and HQ will continue to recognize it's history as the same league - again nothing some salty posters can do anything about.

Accept it or continue in their misery, don't care really. The venue won't change for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back