Melbourne 2021/2022 = Collingwood 2010/2011?

Remove this Banner Ad

It will take a major disaster for Melbourne this season to lose the Flag, but let's face it, they don't have much competition? The Pise of 2011 would probably beat Melbourne easily...? But it's a silly comparison, they were playing a different game just 10 years ago.

It will take a major disaster for Melbourne this season to lose the Flag, but let's face it, they don't have much competition? The Pise of 2011 would probably beat Melbourne easily...? But it's a silly comparison, they were playing a different game just 10 years ago.
Collingwood 2011 would be lucky to put 60+ points on the board against 2021/2022 Melbourne.

May would nullify Cloke
Petty would easily account for Jolly or Brown resting forward
Lever to take Dawes and have a field day intercepting off him
Hibberd to go with Didak
Smith / Bowey / Rivers / Salem to Krakeour / Blair / Davis / Fasolo

Not to mention the evolution of general team defensive set ups. Silly call

Yet the bookies believe thats the most likely thing to happen. You should load up if thats what you believe

Apart from Melbourne imploding as a club, 2011 was a pretty great season in hindsight. Collingwood were rolling through the season as a juggernaught taking all before them except for one, Geelong, who everyone thought were about to start sliding, after losing their coach and their best player but showed they were still a side to be reckoned with. Then you also had Hawthorn who were ominously growing into the dominant force of the next few years.

The Collingwood/Hawthorn prelim is probably my favourite game ever and it was almost topped by the Grand Final which was epic for three quarters before Geelong ran away with it in the last.

Of course that can happen. My point is I rate the dee’s highly and see zero similarities to pies of 2011. We were the 2nd best team in 11, Dee’s clear best. I hope there are plenty of twists and turns before GF day.

That Collingwood 2011 team is one of the best ever to not go on and win the flag. I thought you were clearly the best team that season but the best team doesn’t always win.

Such a great era of footy. The current Demons side would’ve fit in well.

I can see a lot of parallels between Melbourne 2021/2022 and Collingwood 2010/2011. For starters Melbourne 2021 and Collingwood 2010 finished on top of the ladder with a 17w/1d/4l record then went on to win all three of their finals matches quite comfortably.

Coincidentally both Melbourne 2021 and Collingwood 2010 smoked Geelong in the preliminary finals and Geelong subsequently got labelled as being too old and too slow.

Collingwood 2011 were cruising in second gear while smashing teams with small patches of brilliance here and there, and the current Melbourne side are doing the same thing.

My gut feeling is that Melbourne won't win the flag this year and they'll fall at the final hurdle much like my beloved Pies did in 2011. It would be somewhat ironic if Geelong were the team to beat Melbourne in this year's grand final.

Do you agree or disagree that the current Melbourne side are quite similar to the Collingwood side of 2011?

They are nothing alike. And unlike that Collingwood team, this Dees team still has a couple more flags to win

Don’t try and pretend you weren’t a bad bounce away from losing the drawn grand final.
very very true.
Bad bounce gave Malthouse a premiership.

Brain fade pies kick in and subsequent WC passage/ brilliant goal cost Buckley one.

Sliding doors.

Fwiw I see the comparison, however I think Melbourne is far more talented across the board than that pies team was (more Malthouse game plan imo). Besides, I don't see any opposition team at Dees level at this point. Geelong smashed the pies that '11 season every game. Champion team.

Still early season, who knows?

Collingwood 2011 would be lucky to put 60+ points on the board against 2021/2022 Melbourne.

May would nullify Cloke
Hibberd to go with Didak

People easily forget how good Cloke and Dawes were back then due to how their careers ended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far we've been Richmond 2018, Collingwood 2011 and Geelong 2008. Plenty of teams are clearly the best in the comp then go onto win the flag, and there's nothing as of yet that indicates Melbourne will follow in the footsteps of the above. Who knows, they could have an off day come finals time, but until we get there, there's no point drawing a comparison.

I mean ... Geelong 2008 is definitely still in play.

Melbourne 2022 could be Fremantle 2015. Great start to the season.. but the way Melbourne have been playing is eerily similar to how Fremantle were playing up until this time in season 2015!!

I mean ... Geelong 2008 is definitely still in play.
The only won their first nine games of the year. If we beat the Saints it’s the diabolical Eagles and Roos after that so we should get to 10 this year, I can’t see the Roos pulling an Adelaide on us.

Which team won their first ten games in 2008?

Melbourne 2022 could be Fremantle 2015. Great start to the season.. but the way Melbourne have been playing is eerily similar to how Fremantle were playing up until this time in season 2015!!
Melbourne 2022 could also be Melbourne 2021. Funnily enough they’re playing exactly the same way they did last year, how eerie.

The only won their first nine games of the year. If we beat the Saints it’s the diabolical Eagles and Roos after that so we should get to 10 this year, I can’t see the Roos pulling an Adelaide on us.

Which team won their first ten games in 2008?

I was more thinking only the one loss in the H/A season

And the average losing margin of 90 points :p

Pies couldn’t get near Geelong in 3 games in 2011, there is no such team to scare the Dees.

The first game was decided by less than a kick and was a result of a universally noted wrong umpiring decision at the end.

The round 22 or 23 game was a dead rubber which they didn't show up to.

Pies were 3 goals up with all the momentum in the GF. Late 2nd quarter goals and terrible coaching on match day by Malthouse turned the tide.

Cats deserved that flag as they stood up when it counted and were one of the best teams of all time but it was much closer than what you're claiming.

The first game was decided by less than a kick and was a result of a universally noted wrong umpiring decision at the end.

The round 22 or 23 game was a dead rubber which they didn't show up to.

Pies were 3 goals up with all the momentum in the GF. Late 2nd quarter goals and terrible coaching on match day by Malthouse turned the tide.

Cats deserved that flag as they stood up when it counted and were one of the best teams of all time but it was much closer than what you're claiming.
22 wins by a country mile and 3 losses to the same club. We were crazy good in 2011 but couldn’t beat Geelong once. If cats kicked straight in the first game, margin is bigger than 3 points.
Game 2, obliterated.
GF- 6 goal loss. In context of this thread, comparing 2022 Dee’s to 2011 pies is not something I agree with because there is no Geelong to spook Melbourne.
11 years on, I am still salty pies lost the big one, so close enough isn’t good enough.

This Melbourne team is enormous and I think they'll take the cake this year again.

But jeez, some of the comments in here. Like this one for instance.

May would nullify Cloke
Hibberd to go with Didak

You can't come off much more floggish than this.

This Melbourne team is enormous and I think they'll take the cake this year again.

But jeez, some of the comments in here. Like this one for instance.

You can't come off much more floggish than this.
Lol mate. Feel free to debate any of those points? We are the best defensive team of the modern era, that is not up for debate.

Melbourne don't have the mess of the Buckley/Malthouse coaching succession plan, which ultimately is what derailed the Pies/contributed them greatly to stop going back to back as Premiers, which in hindsight I think Malthouse sabotaged himself mostly in an act of petty vindictiveness

Melbourne don't have the mess of the Buckley/Malthouse coaching succession plan, which ultimately is what derailed the Pies/contributed them greatly to stop going back to back as Premiers, which in hindsight I think Malthouse sabotaged himself mostly in an act of petty vindictiveness
Makes sense

He sabotaged himself again a few years later at Carlton too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back