Racing Melbourne Cup 2018 and all Cup Day discussion.(Posting of bets after the race will be carded)

The winner is.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

current top 6 for me: (ones with *have backed antepost)

Cliffs of Moher* @ 61's
Latrobe* @ 31's
Avilius* @ 31's
Muntahaa* @ 31's
Cross Counter
Chestnut Coat* @ 26's

unders are IMO Yucatan, Withold, Magic Circle

Yucatan was extremely impressive. Far more so than Avilius. Has to be a chance if he gets in on the back of that run but really it just tells you how far ahead of the pack the good raiders are

Yucatan was extremely impressive. Far more so than Avilius. Has to be a chance if he gets in on the back of that run but really it just tells you how far ahead of the pack the good raiders are

Sources tell me Lloyd has a very high % of Yucatan. Also has 50% of Cliffs. Sure can pick em.

Yucatan was effortless. I expect he’ll get 2kgs, the same as Amralah did for his HP win. But even 1.5kgs should be enough.

Cliffs of Moher as also very impressive. His lack of tactical speed could be a problem though.

Prince of Arran was also good. Had zero luck. But he’s running out of time...needs to win next start to make the field.

Yucatan was effortless. I expect he’ll get 2kgs, the same as Amralah did for his HP win. But even 1.5kgs should be enough.

Cliffs of Moher as also very impressive. His lack of tactical speed could be a problem though.

Prince of Arran was also good. Had zero luck. But he’s running out of time...needs to win next start to make the field.
I agree Yucatan was effortless, think he will get 2 or 2.5kg if Avilius gets 1.5kg he has to get more.
Prince of Arran was originally 54th on the first OOE (now at 42) that was before todays race. I dont think no problem making Cup field with placing today will help. Dont know when next OOE comes out

Last edited:
I agree Yucatan was effortless, think he will get 2 or 2.5kg if Avilius gets 1.5kg he has to get more.
Prince of Arran was originally 54th on the first OOE (now at 42) that was before todays race. I dont think no problem making Cup field with placing today will help. Dont know when next OOE comes out

Will be interesting, Amralah copped 2kg for its H Power win in 2015 after an easy 3 length win. Yucatan wins by more if not eased up. Cops 2.5 makes the 24, cops 2.0 going to be borderline.

Not too many MC winners that won the Herbert Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one knew about Yucatan on this board? Hasn’t been mentioned at all.

Sportsbet changed the odds for the MC as soon as they hit the straight FML

Wasn’t much to go on really? A second to Rekindling and a third to D MacArthur the only two things I picked up on. Can’t recall reading anything about it in the ‘international raiders’ articles.

Best I make my first post about the big one
Yucatan whilst very impressive didn't beat a whole lot today the metrop was rated pretty low and the runner up finished second.
One that I have at nice odds and will probably back again is Rostropovich, getting in with 51kgs I think he is a huge chance

Best I make my first post about the big one
Yucatan whilst very impressive didn't beat a whole lot today the metrop was rated pretty low and the runner up finished second.
One that I have at nice odds and will probably back again is Rostropovich, getting in with 51kgs I think he is a huge chance

Dont mind Rostropovich. Like him more as a Cox Plate place chance though at big odds

No one knew about Yucatan on this board? Hasn’t been mentioned at all.

Sportsbet changed the odds for the MC as soon as they hit the straight FML

We knew of Yucatan. We knew he was coming. But there was nothing spectacular in his Euro form. In his 12 start career he’d won at Group 3 level. He was beaten easily by Cliffs of Moher at level weights in a Group 2 in May. He was given 52kgs for the Melbourne Cup, so that’s an indication of the handicapper’s assessment of him.

He seems to like firm ground, and there’s no doubt he has a turn of foot. So perhaps that’s why he responded so well to our conditions today.

Call me crazy but I just don't rate Yucatan's win that highly, it beat up on a bunch of 2nd rate stayers

Caulfield Cup for me Youngster, KWD, COM all better formlines competing well in class fields

Yucatan huge unders in MC market

Call me crazy but I just don't rate Yucatan's win that highly, it beat up on a bunch of 2nd rate stayers

Caulfield Cup for me Youngster, KWD, COM all better formlines competing well in class fields

Yucatan huge unders in MC market

May have only been second rate stayers but none of the horses listed coming through stronger lines would have won how he did. He had to work 3-4 wide without cover most of the trip, made an early move to sit up outside the lead 3 wide and still let down to have 6 or 7 lengths on them. Avilius before him was winning these sort of races by less than a length and getting spruiked. Yucatan's win has panels on anything he did

Somewhat reminded me of the way Francis of Assisi came out and killed them in the Queen Elizabeth a couple years ago

Will be interesting, Amralah copped 2kg for its H Power win in 2015 after an easy 3 length win. Yucatan wins by more if not eased up. Cops 2.5 makes the 24, cops 2.0 going to be borderline.

Not too many MC winners that won the Herbert Power.
Should i mention that Protectionist ran a way less impressive 4th in the HP or is it too soon?

May have only been second rate stayers but none of the horses listed coming through stronger lines would have won how he did. He had to work 3-4 wide without cover most of the trip, made an early move to sit up outside the lead 3 wide and still let down to have 6 or 7 lengths on them. Avilius before him was winning these sort of races by less than a length and getting spruiked. Yucatan's win has panels on anything he did

Somewhat reminded me of the way Francis of Assisi came out and killed them in the Queen Elizabeth a couple years ago
Fair assumption there Jug.
One swallow does not make a summer as the saying goes

Have it on same line as Magic Circle IMO

Should i mention that Protectionist ran a way less impressive 4th in the HP or is it too soon?
Touchy subject haha

In fairness iluvparis theory on Protectionist stands up here, no way if you run that race 10 times Yucatan wins the same way

Scary thought is these aren't the real top liners they are sending over... Imagine if Order of St George was here

Back