Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy is a scumbag who I doubt will ever learn from his actions.

But Scott obviously had a personal relationship with him from when he was a young boy. I would assume he knows a lot more about TT’s upbringing than the average BF user. You would think the guy had murdered a woman by the way he is spoken about.
The sort of attitudes and behaviours he displayed towards women are linked to women being murdered, yes.

Even if Scott does know him, the message sent to a society where far too many women are abused, assaulted and killed by their partners is a terrible one.

"So as an industry, do we just wash our hands and say 'we're done with him', or do we help him?," he asked.

the first one, Brad... the first one.

"Thomas also didn't complete required domestic violence rehabilitation at the time of his suspension."

lol - that was literally the least he could have done...

I hope someone chants his name during the minutes silence this week for the victims of DV during the AFL DV round, that would be fun

Anyway, here are the relevant quotes:

“I’ve known Tarryn since he was 14 and my view is he’s a good person,” Scott said.

“The reality is that there are people from privileged backgrounds who have had every opportunity in life, and there are others who haven’t,” Scott said.
“People will make mistakes and as a leader, a coach and a parent the responsibility is to have people learn from those mistakes.

“In Tarryn’s case, my view is one of support.
“Has he made some terrible mistakes? Yes he has, and he’s the first to admit that.
“I can’t speak to what’s happened in the last couple of years in relation to Tarryn, I haven’t been privy to all the information.
“But I just tend to think that people make mistakes. If you keep making the same mistake, there’s an issue, but as leaders we expect young people to make mistakes.

“So, as an industry, do we just wash our hands and say we’re done with him or do we help him? I prefer to sit in the help camp.”

“It’s something as an industry the AFL has led on [making statements about] community social issues,” Scott said.
“So I think we should lead on that front. We’re fully supportive of what Pyke is proposing.

“On the other hand I’m disappointed we have to talk about it. It’s just a real shame.”

“We had four players [attend] Hannah McGuire’s funeral on Monday. We’ve come so far and we’re still talking about these things that just shouldn’t be occurring,” said Scott.
I guess you're going to have a different perspective when you've known someone since they were a child.
The connection is there, tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.
As shitty as it is to admit, whether we're aware of it or not, we're likely all close to a man who's got a history of acting inappropriately to women.

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable sentiment to come out and say ‘we need to help educate this kid who quite clearly needs all the help he can get from the right people to even have a chance to set himself right’ but you can do that without saying you want him back on a list and the timing of this is shambolic.

Shame on him, 100%

lmao the fact he actually acknowledge Hannah McGuire’s funeral makes brad's comments all the more insane!

the very obvious point to make is: there's no reason whatsoever to believe Thomas being in the AFL system will do anything positive regarding his behaviour. Thomas can receive help without being in the AFL system. I hope the AFL/AFLPA ensures that he has the funding to attend therapy etc etc.

lmao the fact he actually acknowledge Hannah McGuire’s funeral makes brad's comments all the more insane!

the very obvious point to make is: there's no reason whatsoever to believe Thomas being in the AFL system will do anything positive regarding his behaviour. Thomas can receive help without being in the AFL system. I hope the AFL/AFLPA ensures that he has the funding to attend therapy etc etc.
Seems like maybe Brad thinks football is the only good influence TT has ever had and feels some sort of responsibility as his old coach.

"So as an industry, do we just wash our hands and say 'we're done with him', or do we help him?," he asked.

the first one, Brad... the first one.
As an industry we should probably be done. As a society, we should be supporting his rehabilitation. If he's rehabbed and learned and has a clean sheet after a couple of years, you probably take another look.

Pretty poor timing from Brad.

Having one person who knows him well advocate for him amidst the sea of (justified) condemnation may be the lifeline that Thomas needs to stay the journey on evolving into a decent human. Or it may be a waste of time.

People incarcerated for even the most terrible crimes deserve to be spoken of in a way that allows for hope.

I would say that Thomas seems like a damaged and dangerous guy who isn't displaying any insight and isn't learning his lessons. I wouldn't be bold enough to say he never will.

In the context of this week I would have been ok with Scott saying he had hope for TT's future if he (Scott) made a stronger show of condemning the massively unacceptable behaviour of the past and articulating what would really need to change to have TT welcomed back to football. He didn't go anywhere near far enough in calling for proper accountability.

It's a long way beyond "we expect young people to make mistakes". Not like this we don't.

I would say that Thomas seems like a damaged and dangerous guy who isn't displaying any insight and isn't learning his lessons. I wouldn't be bold enough to say he never will.
Whether he does or does not is something he can work out outside of football/Essendon. He can become a reformed person brick laying or working in the reject shop or whatever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether he does or does not is something he can work out outside of football/Essendon. He can become a reformed person brick laying or working in the reject shop or whatever
Yep no disagreement

I also don’t definitively think he should never return to footy and I wouldn’t say I never want him at Essendon

Not sure what the standard of proof of rehabilitation is but if he genuinely sees the light and changes, in principle he should be able to play.

Personally I don’t see it as likely. He really trashed his first second chance.

I don't have an issue with what Brad said except for the good person part. A good person just doesn't do what Thomas did. I understand where he is coming from in that he knew him for 10 years and knows what type of person he is capable of being, but Thomas hasn't demonstrated that so we judge him by what he demonstrated.

Do I believe in redemption? Yes. I believe Thomas can change as a person and I do believe that he can prove himself to be a changed person. Do I want him at Essendon? Absolutely not. Is next year too soon? Definitely.

From the Age..

Thomas was suspended by North Melbourne in 2023 and initially charged by police with threatening to distribute an intimate image before prosecutors agreed to drop the charge in July and replaced it with another offence of using a carriage service to harass. He did not record a conviction for a criminal offence.
Police have not charged Thomas for any of the subsequent incidents from 2024 that led to his AFL suspension. He was not accused of any physical violence against women.

Scott did not directly discuss the prospect of Essendon seeking to give Thomas another chance by luring him to Tullamarine.
May have been asked about him and as he’s known Thomas since he was 14 decided to comment. Not charged with any physical violence but still very poor behaviour, but as Brad says should that mean career ending?

Hurley bashed a taxi driver and went on to a 10+ year career and now an asst coach

Starting to have an issue with this AFL perception that football clubs rehabilitate players… even though it’s at the same football clubs players get caught up in drugs, and behave like Thomas.

If Thomas wants to prove he’s changed, spend 12 months in VFL, go to all the support sessions and show how much the whole experience has changed him.

i can appreciate some "altruism", and the relationship that brad has with him, however, as it stands it's just;
1) not the right time, i don't think he's demonstrated any personal character growth as this isn't the first time that it's happened
2) the domestic violence round is starting tonight.
3) nick hind's cousin was just killed via DV, the players attended their funeral.

bad timing, no thought. it's very disrespectful and as it stands he does not deserve to have any character growth.

very disappointing stuff from the club. i hope he takes it back today.

Riddle me this. And i am in no way condoning what has been alleged but he hasn't been charged or convicted of anything...so answer me how the hell Marlion Pickett is still on Richmond's list who is actually facing charges

Remove this Banner Ad

Back