Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you uncross the line if you randomly assault someone?

That's more than a little different to what Thomas has done. To answer your question, yes if it's once and they aren't seriously injured. If you keep doing it, eventually there is no coming back.

Brads shat the bed, he doseht have to answer every single question he's asked.
It was a gotcha to be paired with the league's stand against DV.
Pretty awful by the media crew desperate for a story - partly what makes me feel like we're probably closely linked with TT.
I just hope it didn't effect Hind and his family.

"The allegations made against Thomas include one woman’s claim the footballer sent her a text message that read: “You’re a f*king joke … keep talking sh*t … sh*t going to come around soon … your turn will come … sh*t is going to go down … I’m not a n*** to be f**ked with.”

Another woman sent a text to friends last year that read: “I’m too scared … i know he’s (Thomas) gonna kill me.”

At least one of the women, who was reportedly hospitalised as a result of an incident in 2022, had been provided with a psychologist by the league, which told the Herald Sun the behaviour alleged to it was “family violence”. The AFL, according to the report, offered to facilitate meetings with detectives from a family violence investigation unit.

One allegation included Thomas telling a woman he wanted to beat her and called her names like “a ****”.

Another allegation claimed Thomas threw a lamp at a woman in a hotel room.

At least one of the women, who was reportedly hospitalised as a result of an incident in 2022, had been provided with a psychologist by the league
.'
A woman hospitalised...gees a whole new level than just phone messages. Wonder why he wasn't charged? Like t think AFL industry has grown up a bit and stays away ...as they should've many times with Carey and some others.

The Charlie Cameron defence is unlikely to work at the tribunal.

"The allegations made against Thomas include one woman’s claim the footballer sent her a text message that read: “You’re a f*king joke … keep talking sh*t … sh*t going to come around soon … your turn will come … sh*t is going to go down … I’m not a n*** to be f**ked with.”

Another woman sent a text to friends last year that read: “I’m too scared … i know he’s (Thomas) gonna kill me.”

At least one of the women, who was reportedly hospitalised as a result of an incident in 2022, had been provided with a psychologist by the league, which told the Herald Sun the behaviour alleged to it was “family violence”. The AFL, according to the report, offered to facilitate meetings with detectives from a family violence investigation unit.

One allegation included Thomas telling a woman he wanted to beat her and called her names like “a ****”.

Another allegation claimed Thomas threw a lamp at a woman in a hotel room.

At least one of the women, who was reportedly hospitalised as a result of an incident in 2022, had been provided with a psychologist by the league
.'
I didn’t realise it went that far.

It’s the pattern of behaviour that seems the most concerning to me. When someone keeps doing something like that it really speaks to the person’s character and values.

People who work in youth development often still see the good in kids with serious behavioural problems.
In fact those are the kids that teachers often feel the most invested in.
I think that's where Scott's comments come from. He probably has knowledge of the trauma that TT's issues stem from, too.

It's not usually a 'boogie man' scenario, and framing it as such is unproductive. DV and family abuse is so endemic in Australia that I would wager everyone in this thread, knowing or unknowing, is close to someone who has perpetrated abusive behaviour. Even more likely you're close to someone who's the victim of it. People are often both.

I also think when stuff like this is raised, it's pretty important to reflect on your own actions and behaviour.
What sort of pr0n do you look at? What words do you use to describe women you don't like? How have you behaved when you've been dumped or rejected? Setting a good example is a much more effective precursor to holding others accountable than virtue signalling.

But it's much more complicated when it's a personal connection. It's actually really easy to denounce a behaviour and its perpetrator on facebook or bigfooty or whatever. It's a totally different story when it's someone you care about who's an abuser, when you aren't completely separated from their humanity.

At the end of the day I just hope Thomas stops abusing women. He is 24 years old. There is still time for growth. If he can own up to the behaviour then he can be a vessel for change. That's a big part of the problem with abusers though, they often lack insight into their own behaviour.
Best post on this issue so far.

I think an important thing to consider is the fact that he is an indigenous boy, and that sometimes the culture that First Nations people are brought up in can have difficulty adapting to the western world. There is no excuse for domestic violence. None. However, the license suspension charges and all of the drama that followed it can easily make a young man spiral. I highly doubt he has had good role models either or many of his family members have shown him a path of responsibility and maturity. Look at the common themes here: Tarryn Thomas, Andrew Lovett, Liam Jurrah, Harley Bennell, Tyson Stengle, Chris Yarran, Marlion Pickett to name a few. I think the AFL needs to do a better job with intervening sooner, and providing the appropriate counselling a lot sooner. I think from a psychological point of view, It is much harder for First Nations boys to adapt to the professional lifestyle with all the eyes on them, the level of attention, the temptations considering their heritage. I think if Stengle could do it, so can Thomas. He just needs the right level of counselling, indigenous mentors and routine. He needs to be educated on why he does the things he does, rather than be told "he's a bad apple". But most importantly HE needs to want to be the best human he can be.

So unbelievably different. Stengle made a poor decision as a young bloke and got behind the wheel when he shouldn’t have. A bad judgement call, no doubt.

Thomas has harassed (to put it extremely lightly) women on three seperate occasions - along with a few other things.

Not anywhere near comparable.

We’re not talking about a silly, little one-off mistake here. The dude’s a criminal.

If the AFL are serious about advocating for women's safety (and basic human rights), as they seem to be trying to portray this round, I really hope they're prepared to make a statement and cease any further relationships with Wayne Carey, Jordan De Goey, Michael O'Loughlin and whoever else has a history of violence towards women.

Otherwise, like with most other things they do, it'll be empty words.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL are serious about advocating for women's safety (and basic human rights), as they seem to be trying this round, I really hope they're prepared to make a statement and cease any further relationships with Wayne Carey, Jordan De Goey, Michael O'Loughlin and whoeever else has a history of violence towards women.

Otherwise, like with most other things they do, it'll be empty words.
hollow, performative statements are what the AFL does best though, right?

So unbelievably different. Stengle made a poor decision as a young bloke and got behind the wheel when he shouldn’t have. A bad judgement call, no doubt.

Thomas has harassed (to put it extremely lightly) women on three seperate occasions - along with a few other things.

Not anywhere near comparable.

We’re not talking about a silly, little one-off mistake here. The dude’s a criminal.
Think you have underplayed what Stengle did. Stupid actions behind the wheel kill hundreds of people every year. He was bloody lucky he did not kill or injure someone.
Drink driving is just as big a problem as violence against people.

"Brad has been an amazing leader and mentor for me, I cannot wait to continue my career under him and learn as much as I can to become a better player and better person,“ McGrath said."

It's good to see Scott rubbing off on the boys and onto potential recruits who usually cite him and his vision as a reason for wanting to play for the club.
Tarryn Thomas...

Think you have underplayed what Stengle did. Stupid actions behind the wheel kill hundreds of people every year. He was bloody lucky he did not kill or injure someone.
Drink driving is just as big a problem as violence against people.

Probably did underplay it - but I still think it’s as you said - more of a stupid action/really poor decision. It’s dumb and it’s selfish, but he also didn’t set out to hurt anyone (though he definitely could have). Where Thomas did - and multiple times.

Probably did underplay it - but I still think it’s as you said - more of a stupid action/really poor decision. It’s dumb and it’s selfish, but he also didn’t set out to hurt anyone (though he definitely could have). Where Thomas did - and multiple times.
Weather he set out to hurt anyone or not it is still as bad in my book. Get back to me when one of your family members die because they got in a car with one of their mates who was over the limit and three young lives are done. Three families that will never be the same again. That is my world. Poor decisions are poor decisions be it deciding to disregard everyone else and their families by driving drunk or deciding to physically intimidate or harm someone.

Weather he set out to hurt anyone or not it is still as bad in my book. Get back to me when one of your family members die because they got in a car with one of their mates who was over the limit and three young lives are done. Three families that will never be the same again. That is my world. Poor decisions are poor decisions be it deciding to disregard everyone else and their families by driving drunk or deciding to physically intimidate or harm someone.

Sorry to hear that mate. Apologies if my words were insensitive, I certainly meant no offense. I shouldn’t have worded it that way.

Hopefully I’m not digging further here, I was trying to say, I suppose, that I think Thomas is a sh** human, where I think Stengle appears to have made the most of his second chance and actually learned from his mistake(s).

They both did stupid, risky, idiotic things behind the wheel - one drunk, the other driving with his feet, or whatever the hell he did. And then Thomas has also abused women 3+ times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back