Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you wish a Jewish person Merry Christmas? Why wish a non-Jewish person Happy Hanukkah? It's normalised by the circumtances, not by some social justice cabal. The world just isn't as small as your perception of it, so spare that pity for yourself.
If I knew a certain person had a preferred term for celebrating the season I would gladly use it when speaking to them individually. It's this whole "let's change 100% of societies language and traditions to avoid potentially offending the 1%" that I take issue with.

If I knew a certain person had a preferred term for celebrating the season I would gladly use it when speaking to them individually. It's this whole "let's change 100% of societies language and traditions to avoid potentially offending the 1%" that I take issue with.

Are you a card carrying Christian?

Lucky for you then that no one has suggesting anything remotely like that.

You’re taking issue with a non-issue, or more accurately a manufactured issue. Every few years a conservative tabloid releases an out-rage generating piece suggesting social progressives are legislating to change language (My Free Speech!!!) and ban Christmas. It’s crap. Years back the daily mail or some such spiked their readership with stories about councils ruling that district schools could be prosecuted for permitting the word Christmas and hanging Christmas themed decorations. It was literally shown to have been entirely made up but it feeds the needs of certain people to howl about their imaginary oppressors

You’re taking issue with a non-issue, or more accurately a manufactured issue. Every few years a conservative tabloid releases an out-rage generating piece suggesting social progressives are legislating to change language (My Free Speech!!!) and ban Christmas. It’s crap. Years back the daily mail or some such spiked their readership with stories about councils ruling that district schools could be prosecuted for permitting the word Christmas and hanging Christmas themed decorations. It was literally shown to have been entirely made up but it feeds the needs of certain people to howl about their imaginary oppressors
Well we gotta stay vigilant son. There are plenty of joyless souls out there, and misery loves company!

Hell no

That's exactly what defaulting to "happy holidays" is, you silly goose!
No it isn't, that's just being inclusive if you work in an environment where you are dealing with people who may or may not celebrate Christmas.

Nah. The city I live in has a Jewish population of around 18% and another 15-20% whose traditions don't celebrate Christmas. It's known as the holiday season, which starts around Thanksgiving. So you've got it backwards in my part of the world. You would offer a generic holiday greeting to people you don't know, and personalise it if you knew something about them.

All wound up over nothing.

Nah. The city I live in has a Jewish population of around 18% and another 15-20% whose traditions don't celebrate Christmas. It's known as the holiday season, which starts around Thanksgiving. So you've got it backwards in my part of the world. You would offer a generic holiday greeting to people you don't know, and personalise it if you knew something about them.

There is no other part of the world and no one else that matters in FK’s sad little brain..

Hell no

That's exactly what defaulting to "happy holidays" is, you silly goose!
You know society's constantly change and evolve, without it being an orchestrated conspiracy.

People also bitch and moan about said change. Oh woe is us, society has gone to s**t, we are all rooooned.

Never works but. Change happens anyway.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is that in Australia?

No it isn't, that's just being inclusive if you work in an environment where you are dealing with people who may or may not celebrate Christmas.
How on earth is it "being inclusive"? If someone doesn't celebrate Christmas, they can just smile and nod when someone wishes them a merry Christmas. Why tf would they get offended over it?

And how many of that 18% (already a low figure) be bothered by you saying merry Christmas? The Jewish people didn't become the most successful demographic of all by being offended over petty shyte. Just say merry Christmas from now on m8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't need to find out. As I just got through explaining to you, everyone just says Happy Holidays ;)

I just happen to speak two people in the US today and both said the same thing (happy holidays) even though I said 'have a good Christmas.'

Why does it matter how you say it, it's just about intent.

How on earth is it "being inclusive"? If someone doesn't celebrate Christmas, they can just smile and nod when someone wishes them a merry Christmas. Why tf would they get offended over it?

And how many of that 18% (already a low figure) be bothered by you saying merry Christmas? The Jewish people didn't become the most successful demographic of all by being offended over petty sh*te. Just say merry Christmas from now on m8.

I've taken to using the expression "have a great festive season".

Does this meet the FK standard of acceptability?

Well it sounds like you get pretty offended by not saying it, so clearly it is an issue for some people. Why can't you put yourself in their shoes? Why is it fine for you to be offended but not them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back