Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We won't take 4 picks, we don't have the list spots. I did say no chance we take 3, but now that Naismiths career is likely done we have opened up an extra spot and we need another ruck.

Brynn Teakle had 20 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle & 16 hitouts for WA in the WAFL v SANFL state game today.
Jacob Blight had 17 disposals 13 marks & 1 tackle

Both were named in the WA best players.
Surely Norf take Blight? If they don't, we should.

We won't take 4 picks, we don't have the list spots.

Surely Norf take Blight? If they don't, we should.

Gibcus, Clarke, Naismith and Fawcett. We do.

I’m ok with Blight if North don’t take him. Build from the back and support Miller and Young. He’s got massive wraps on him. People are saying he’s the most talented player in the pool.

I’m ok with Blight if North don’t take him. Build from the back and support Miller and Young. He’s got massive wraps on him. People are saying he’s the most talented player in the pool.
Yeah, but you have to find them a spot next season if they're any good. Plus the 5+ we'll take in the ND and RD.

Which 9 are you cutting, trading or retiring?

You just know North will take Howe in the MSD & Smillie with #1 just to Feck us up

Yeah, but you have to find them a spot next season if they're any good. Plus the 5+ we'll take in the ND and RD.

It’s very easy for me.

Grimes, Prestia, Dusty (retired), Baker (trade), Naismith, McIntosh, Graham (FA), Colina, Pickett.

It’s very easy for me.

Grimes, Prestia, Dusty (retired), Baker (trade), Naismith, McIntosh, Graham (FA), Colina, Pickett.
I'd tend to agree but think Prestia plays on only if he gets through the season. I'd add a potential Lynch to that list. Trade to a club in the window for a first rounder (Dees/Pies etc). They might think it's worth the gamble. He'll be well retired before our next legit crack at it. Cash in if someone wants to gamble and try and trade for a flag chance...

I'd tend to agree but think Prestia plays on only if he gets through the season. I'd add a potential Lynch to that list. Trade to a club in the window for a first rounder (Dees/Pies etc). They might think it's worth the gamble. He'll be well retired before our next legit crack at it. Cash in if someone wants to gamble and try and trade for a flag chance...
We can't trade Lynch. We have no experienced key forward to help develop the others that we are throwing down there.

I’m keeping Lynch as he is such a leader and can mentor our young KPF that will come into the club for a couple more years.

Prestia body is done. North are wanting an experience mid to guide their kids and I’d take a future third for him.

Lynch, Vlastuin, Broad, Rioli, Nankervis, Short (I’m tempted to trade him), Taranto and Hopper is enough experience.

If the Dee's are keen on Lynch and he wants to go i would trade him
Dusty , Cotchin , Jack , Grimes , Prestia , McIntosh & Baker off the books opens up alot of cap space to take a salary dump with a pick in his pocket and also the pick you get for him so thats effectively 2 1st round picks.

We can't trade Lynch. We have no experienced key forward to help develop the others that we are throwing down there.
We absolutely can trade him and if someone is prepared to offer up a late first rounder we'd be negligent not to. He can't develop youngsters from the rehab group (actually, they're likely to be there with him) and he probably has 2 years left max (3 at a stretch) and that's if he can stay fit. Maybe 40 games if we are lucky or get another first rounder, pick a talented kid and hopefully get 150-200 out of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m keeping Lynch as he is such a leader and can mentor our young KPF that will come into the club for a couple more years.

Prestia body is done. North are wanting an experience mid to guide their kids and I’d take a future third for him.

Lynch, Vlastuin, Broad, Rioli, Nankervis, Short (I’m tempted to trade him), Taranto and Hopper is enough experience.
Could make the same argument with body about Lynch as you did with Prestia. If we could get a late first rounder for a guy who will play 40 more games (max) for us, we'd be so stupid not to take it. We can either draft someone for that or on-forward it to a club for a young forward (like Treacy or similar). Won't be as good initially but will be around for years. Then get JR as a forwards coach/mentor. Or Lynch once he inevitably retires in 2 years. Don't disagree with the Prestia plan...

It’s very easy for me.

Yeah that's too much experience cut IMO. I'd be giving Pickett and Prestia one year deals. Potentially Dusty too if he's playing injured.

We absolutely can trade him and if someone is prepared to offer up a late first rounder we'd be negligent not to. He can't develop youngsters from the rehab group (actually, they're likely to be there with him) and he probably has 2 years left max (3 at a stretch) and that's if he can stay fit. Maybe 40 games if we are lucky or get another first rounder, pick a talented kid and hopefully get 150-200 out of him.
Couldn’t agree more and if we stump up $$$ I reckon there’s interest

Are we really worried about the problems with potentially unearthing a good player?

Let's find the good players to start, then worry about that shit.

Keeping players like Prestia and Lynch is extremely important to the development of the next batch of players. Just having them around the club providing leadership, support and advice. Both are required until we get the right replacements on the list.

Lynch only needs a handful to reach the 100 game mark aswell, could spread that over the next 2 years.

Prestia can go on and play reduced minutes once everyone is back.

Are we really worried about the problems with potentially unearthing a good player?

Let's find the good players to start, then worry about that s**t.
That's good in theory but not in real life. Any bottom 4 club could draft 10 kids every National draft but the reality is outside of the first 2 or 3, the rest are extremely unlikely to become good players and you're better off keeping the existing senior depth instead.

Mid season draft there's usually half a dozen or so legit prospects, the rest are pure hit and hope or gap fillers.

Whqt are you expecting with 3 MSD picks? Most likely we get 3 players that eventually won't make it, that's the highest likelihood.

Take 3 kids and we might be able to jag a long term best 22 role player which would be a win.
So you what are you saying? Just pick this kid on hope because that's all MSD picks are worth?
Going by that theory why stop at Sam Davidson? Might as well pick Archie May too
I'd rather pick someone else thanks.

We all know we want Howes but Norf being the flogs they are will most likely take him with the vision of turning him into a full back. Just take Blight you flogs

Noah Howes & Joe Pike are my wishes but i know we will get somebody not even mentioned and unknown
But never know Clarke is gone and Toce maybe different
Reckon North will pick that Collingwood spud.

It’s likely that of the players taken in the MSD you’d be lucky if one is good enough to keep. So you’re not taking 9 spots. Likely 6.

Jack Graham (FA), Grimes retired, Prestia (retire or trade), Baker likely leaving, Possibly Dusty or Rioli leaving and that’s before you even start to interrogate the list. Also you don’t have to list any MSD player on the senior list. You can offer to rookie them.

Also remember we can trade players in prior to the draft or out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back