Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. El Nour did his shoulder VFL r6 and is expected to miss 8-10 weeks so he should be back around R17 AFL season. That'd leave him 8 weeks or so to get a taste of AFL level. Plus just being around the AFL program for 6 extra months would be great for his development.

The injury could be a blessing, I reckon he definitely would've been picked up, likely early, if he didn't cop another untimely injury.
100%, we'll pick him if we believe he is of AFL quality. No-brainer.

He's slighty better than biggie but won't make in the AFL with his current frame.
He's a shitload better than Biggie. Biggie is averaging 13 disposals and 5 marks in the VFL. Mutaz is averaging 17 and 6 marks. But the main difference is Mutaz can read the play where Biggie is no more than an athlete IMO.

He's a shitload better than Biggie. Biggie is averaging 13 disposals and 5 marks in the VFL. Mutaz is averaging 17 and 6 marks. But the main difference is Mutaz can read the play where Biggie is no more than an athlete IMO.
Big difference between VFL and AFL level as our youngsters like Green and McAuliffe found out the other night, they were also playing really well in the Magoo's.racking up possies.

Big difference between VFL and AFL level as our youngsters like Green and McAuliffe found out the other night, they were also playing really well in the Magoo's.racking up possies.
Green has never 'racked up the possies' and McAuliffe is a 1st year.

Mutaz is the same age as Sam Durham, sometimes these guys just need a chance.

Green has never 'racked up the possies' and McAuliffe is a 1st year.

Mutaz is the same age as Sam Durham, sometimes these guys just need a chance.
Sorry but you're not going to covince me until i see multiple good games from hm and can compete with 100 kilo plus AFL standard forwards.

Last edited:
SANFL continues to reinforce it's reputation as the strongest State League with another win on the weekend against WAFL despite injuries to the big stars of their previous 7 straight wins over WAFL and VFL teams.

SCOREBOARD​

SANFL 6.2 10.7 14.11 16.13 (109)
WAFL 1.5 3.7 3.12 5.16 (46)

BEST – SANFL: McLennan, Rowe, Wigg, Cootee, Beecken, Grace, Donnelly, Coomblas
GOALS – SANFL: Grace 4, Rowe 3, Reynolds, Wilkinson 2, Cootee, Doyle, Holder, Voss, Wigg.
FOS WILLIAMS MEDAL – Jez McLennan
SIMPSON MEDAL – Milan Murdock
UMPIRES – Mitchell Scott (SANFL) Lewis Jago (WAFL), Trent McPhee (WAFL)
At Optus Stadium, Perth

If you want to watch the the top footballers outside the AFL leading into the MSD the link is below ...

Skaife, Mutaz el Noir we're not selected in the State teams while Noah Howes was selected in the U18 team as the sole 18 yo player for SA to be played next month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We not only need another ruck ( despite having a perfectly good one in Soldo)

We also need 1-2 KPF….at 32 lynch may not get on the park against for a decent run of games
Whilst we recruited Fawcett…he hasn’t been on the park…who knows when we will see him….meaning a year of development is lost

KPD…Gibcus…hope his bad luck is behind him when he comes back next year…but pretty much 2 years of development lost …regardless…we need another key tall back

You don't get them in the MSD. You get them in the first few picks in the National draft.
We will only get 1 pick in the first few at the National draft, maybe a 2nd pick at around pick 10. Reality is, even if you are around the bottom of the ladder, you cannot build using the ND alone. We have to try every avenue and the MSD and the preseason are really good opportunity because we get to bring a player into the club and properly assess them in a professional environment. If they don't work, we have the advantage of letting then go.

Prestia may rebound, he's due some luck. Graham is not best 22 and loyalty is the only thing that has kept him best 22. Dusty is just up and running and will be 33 turning 34 next season. Nobody lasts forever. If we are relying on those 3 next season, and a few others, we are in misery alright.
Does anyone else reckon pres looks like he’s lost weight , or he’s just wearing bigger shorts , think he might be trying a thing or two to extend his career

I am still looking at Sam Davidson. Anyone know much about Hutchinson from Collingwood VFL ?
He’s done fa , avg 8-9p and hasn’t kicked more than 10g ,,, the only hf worth a look is the geelong falcon def a talent and wouldn’t at all surprise if taken top 2-3
Him and Howe both most talented

You can't possibly have seen Blight play - slow, poor at ground level, needs the ball bombed in to be able to get to marking contests - and we need another backman??

How did Matt Elliott go on the week and for the Bullants? The right KPF, MF and RF ... like Howes, Hosie and Elliot

All part of the Tank for pick 1
secret smell GIF

And then push for the premiership next season
ted-lasso.gif

Hopper and Taranto
Does anyone else reckon pres looks like he’s lost weight , or he’s just wearing bigger shorts , think he might be trying a thing or two to extend his career
100% he's lost weight. I think he is moving quite well. Not in form as yet, but I haven't noticed him being late to the contest, or missing what he had so much. Hopefully he gets a good run.

A few issues with this years MSD:
Pickett was ready to go and we were in our window - completely different situation to now.
Bauer has been on our list for 2 years and we still haven't seen enough to know if he'll be an AFL regular.
Tresize and Coulthard been on the list for 12 months and also haven't seen enough.

So, whoever we pick up, it is unlikely we are ready to make a keep or delist call within 6 months.

We also have our best national draft hand in years, with trades and dealing still to come - could be something like 5 picks in the top 30.
If that's the plan - then any MSD picks need to be able to replace our 6th, 7th, 8th likeliest trade/retire/delist players or else they're gone at the end of the season without getting much of a chance.

In my mind - maybe a ruck? I don't know that it's worth using high draft picks on them in the national draft.
OR
We just pick experienced but fairly average big midfielders and forwards who can provide some protection and support for our youngsters for the rest of 2024 to make the most of the rest of the season as a development year.
Brad Miller and Matt Thomas, for example, were actually very good for us at the time. I'd happily have them back in the team next week and likely for the rest of the year if I could.

SANFL continues to reinforce it's reputation as the strongest State League with another win on the weekend against WAFL despite injuries to the big stars of their previous 7 straight wins over WAFL and VFL teams.

SCOREBOARD​

SANFL 6.2 10.7 14.11 16.13 (109)
WAFL 1.5 3.7 3.12 5.16 (46)

BEST – SANFL: McLennan, Rowe, Wigg, Cootee, Beecken, Grace, Donnelly, Coomblas
GOALS – SANFL: Grace 4, Rowe 3, Reynolds, Wilkinson 2, Cootee, Doyle, Holder, Voss, Wigg.
FOS WILLIAMS MEDAL – Jez McLennan
SIMPSON MEDAL – Milan Murdock
UMPIRES – Mitchell Scott (SANFL) Lewis Jago (WAFL), Trent McPhee (WAFL)
At Optus Stadium, Perth

If you want to watch the the top footballers outside the AFL leading into the MSD the link is below ...

Skaife, Mutaz el Noir we're not selected in the State teams while Noah Howes was selected in the U18 team as the sole 18 yo player for SA to be played next month.
Some VFL players putting their hand up for MSD selection

Max Hall at 22 and Gentile at 21 is the right age for our list but will he be able to step up to AFL?

With Taranto, Hopper, Ross, Dow Sonsie and MacAuliffe drafting a midfielder, whilst definitely helping to put ... out VFL program back on track this year ... would any other VFL midfielder be ahead of them.

Last edited:
A few issues with this years MSD:
Pickett was ready to go and we were in our window - completely different situation to now.
Bauer has been on our list for 2 years and we still haven't seen enough to know if he'll be an AFL regular.
Tresize and Coulthard been on the list for 12 months and also haven't seen enough.

So, whoever we pick up, it is unlikely we are ready to make a keep or delist call within 6 months.

We also have our best national draft hand in years, with trades and dealing still to come - could be something like 5 picks in the top 30.
If that's the plan - then any MSD picks need to be able to replace our 6th, 7th, 8th likeliest trade/retire/delist players or else they're gone at the end of the season without getting much of a chance.

In my mind - maybe a ruck? I don't know that it's worth using high draft picks on them in the national draft.
OR
We just pick experienced but fairly average big midfielders and forwards who can provide some protection and support for our youngsters for the rest of 2024 to make the most of the rest of the season as a development year.
Brad Miller and Matt Thomas, for example, were actually very good for us at the time. I'd happily have them back in the team next week and likely for the rest of the year if I could.
Bauer and tresize have both had a chequered run with injury , wouldn’t have played 3-4 games bw them this year , shocking even Coult would have only played 1/2 avail games
It’s roadblock development of these guys they all show talent to be afl players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back