Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Still hoping that we take a look at Will McLachlan from Geelong Falcons. From 4 games at U18s level he is averaging:
11.5 disposals
5.3 marks
1.3 tackles
4.5 goals

Has kicked 5+ goals on 3 occasions. A strong contested mark despite being just 185cm he wouldn't be the worst pick up with our second pick now that El Nour is unlikely to get drafted.

Another KPD would free up Gibcus to play forward.

A post Lynch forward line of Gibcus, Balta and Lefau would be nice.
We can barely kick more than 5G a game , miller and young are solid for now , we can’t go past either of these teenagers showing a bit first season in seniors as key forwards

Still hoping that we take a look at Will McLachlan from Geelong Falcons. From 4 games at U18s level he is averaging:
11.5 disposals
5.3 marks
1.3 tackles
4.5 goals

Has kicked 5+ goals on 3 occasions. A strong contested mark despite being just 185cm he wouldn't be the worst pick up with our second pick now that El Nour is unlikely to get drafted.
R2 for sure

We can barely kick more than 5G a game , miller and young are solid for now , we can’t go past either of these teenagers showing a bit first season in seniors as key forwards
think we all want a kpf, and sounding like there’ll prob be a good one there at our pick, but don’t think we’ll be reaching for a kpf if there’s a better option (with our first selection).
We are in full rebuild mode now compared to previous mid season drafts , and there’s holes everywhere in our list, just got to grab quality when available.

Lynch will only be a month away come draft time and Balta is back. Gibcus would be bake to have more impact than either of those guys forward next season.

think we all want a kpf, and sounding like there’ll prob be a good one there at our pick, but don’t think we’ll be reaching for a kpf if there’s a better option (with our first selection).
We are in full rebuild mode now compared to previous mid season drafts , and there’s holes everywhere in our list, just got to grab quality when available.
Haven’t really heard of any decent mids going around ,,,,yet

Haven’t really heard of any decent mids going around ,,,,yet
Not specifically mids , but best available

“Richmond will heavily lean toward selecting the best available talent with its first pick, but will be keen to bolster its key forward stocks following a lean opening eight matches.”

11.5 disposals
5.3 marks
1.3 tackles
4.5 goals

Starting to think he would be the highest rated at our pick and we should go best talent under 20

If we end up with
1, McLachlan
2, Howes

Would be very pleased with this result

Looking at most of the mids in the VFL they’re that heavier RCD style or the shorter slower ones which are not the style we want. I think with mids with possibly some good low draft picks we need to go to the proper draft for the quality ones that have the Fyfe build. Hope Smillie hangs around for our first pick.

Looking at most of the mids in the VFL they’re that heavier RCD style or the shorter slower ones which are not the style we want. I think with mids with possibly some good low draft picks we need to go to the proper draft for the quality ones that have the Fyfe build. Hope Smillie hangs around for our first pick.
I want to see his Running stats before i would think he is going to be a gun

0-20 speed repeat sprints and 2klm times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see his Running stats before i would think he is going to be a gun

0-20 speed repeat sprints and 2klm times
Your stats are good indicators,but not the set in concrete evidence that you’re going to get a gun midfielder as if you went by those stats there’d be a lot more successful lower order picks. I look at acceleration from a stationary position over first 5m. If he’s constantly beating his opponents to the ball then it’s excellent as the eye doesn’t lie. The other factor is mental football ability such as reading the play, knowing where to run to ,when to defend or go etc as this makes you actually look faster as you are at a lot more contests. This is why JGTI struggles bc he lacks the first of my requirements. Your stats don’t actually tell us any of that. The only important stat to me is I like midfielders who also have a very good vertical leap as that gives them another advantage over their opponents, plus the ability to go forward. As we are only looking at 17-18 yo kids there’s still a lot of strengthening etc to happen so your stats can be a bit overrated . I just don’t want a midget like Prestia as we have a variety of those although an 18 yo Dion would be nice as our varieties are too slow in comparison. I avoid the JGTI types with the heavier bodies as they’re now being phased out bc of poor initial acceleration.
And then comes the all important of all your disposal efficiency and ability to do this mostly under pressure helps as that’s lacking in our team atm.
Just my thoughts on the matter

Last edited:
That’s a bloody shame for him , reckon that’ll prob rule him out ,,,, unless we’re playing the long game 😉 😉

If we were going to take him in the MSD we probably still will, either that or the rookie draft later this year if we have our eyes on other players we want to try out from the MSD. There is absolutely no need now for us to try to make our team better this season.

Last edited:
If we were going to take him in the MSD we probably still will, either that or the rookie draft later this year if we have our eyes on other players we want to try out from the MSD. There is absolutely no need now for us to try to make our team better this season.
It is paramount that we are always trying to make our team better when the opportunities arise. What a load rubbish as our list has vacancies as well as a lot of deficiencies in areas and we need to try and find players whenever possible. Getting a player now helps bc we can put him in an AFL environment early with training , fitness etc as well as game plan.
It will be half of season more than getting one at the end of the season, plus you never know he could be getting games if he performs well at vfl.

Could be our man? Not an overly glowing game review but in saying that he is an 18-year-old playing against men, in a s**t team. Most of the deficiencies listed can come down to simply still being a baby. Leading the comp for contested marks as an 18-year-old is impressive. "strong hands and great extension at the ball" is a great start.

North bound after that.
Hopefully SEN reporting is correct and they are taking key defender Jacob Blight, ...

The 23-year-old is reportedly being considered by North Melbourne with Pick 1 in the mid-season draft.

Blight, who joined Peel from Claremont last year, is averaging 19.2 disposals and 7.6 marks for the Thunder across five WAFL games.

Hopefully SEN reporting is correct and they are taking key defender Jacob Blight, ...

The 23-year-old is reportedly being considered by North Melbourne with Pick 1 in the mid-season draft.

Blight, who joined Peel from Claremont last year, is averaging 19.2 disposals and 7.6 marks for the Thunder across five WAFL games.
If they take Howes to pull a surprise on us , then do we go for Blight or Bella or Scaife or other? What's your opinion mate?

If they take Howes to pull a surprise on us , then do we go for Blight or Bella or Scaife or other? What's your opinion mate?
Long term I feel that Gibcus has the the athletic talent to be an elite key forward (so maybe you consider a Blight or a Mutaz in your MSD mix)

Bella is an interesting one for me ... hasn't kicked many goals before last week but has been playing for Coburg so how many opportunities does he get each week ... so with the MSD being a commitment for half a season and our VFL side getting a lot of football into the front half ... you could take him with a second or third pick and find out where he is at with decent supply.

That is one of the upsides with Howe ... he has kicked 8 from 5 games including two 3 goal hauls on a Panthers team that hasn't won a game ... selected as the overage player in the U18 South Australian team you would find out through that tournament where he is at but with 13 teams having MSD picks I would be surprised if he lasted

Scaife has kicked 8 from 5 games also ... though the difference is that all of his goals are on leads or out the back ...

But to answer your question ... if Howe is gone I would be picking Hutchinson from Collingwood with the first pick ... he tackles he can take a pack mark and he can play in the same side as a Lynch Balta and Lefau ... and then Lachlan Hosie with our second (out with a broken hand for the next 5 weeks) for the same reasons... plus he is an elite natural forward and Lynch is the only one of those we have on our list.

But who knows what the club is thinking ... needing goal kicking and we are playing Bauer in the back pocket on his return to VFL??

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back