Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

To my untrained eye Howe looks the most talented , I wouldn’t mind at all if we got scaife ,,,for the old timers he reminds me of Stevan Jackson
If you guys are set on a KPF Scaife is the next best option after Howes IMO if Norf choose to go in that direction. I think it’s down to him or Blight for them.

If you guys are set on a KPF Scaife is the next best option after Howes IMO if Norf choose to go in that direction. I think it’s down to him or Blight for them.
They'll go Blight!
Brings back old successful memories for them!

Last edited:
It's got to be Howes, doesn't it? If North overlook him, we have to pounce. He is only 18, plenty of time to develop. Another SA boy which would be good for McAuliffe.
Howe and Fawcett ... developing that combination together could produce results greater than their individual talents ... definitely passes the eye test

Not sure if you guys are after small(ish) forwards?

----

Will "Don't Call Me Gil" McLachlan's name was running hot in MSD discussions after this 6 goal haul against Murray. Will plays a little like a smaller Bayley Fritsch, getting a high percentage of his scoring shots from marking on the lead into space and up to the ball carrier. He'll need to work on his defensive efforts at the next level.

Yes yes yes

I'm hoping we go for a ruck or mid. Next season we have, Lynch, Balta, Gibcus, Lefau, Young and Miller, who form a young but pretty exciting group of talls. Fawcett is an unknown. Going for a tall key forward at this stage of the season seems a waste. They are not going to come in and solve any problem we have at the moment, and they will be superfluous next year unless they are going to replace Lynch. Very wishful thinking that any midseason draft is going to come in and play your no.1 forward.

Down the track I think we are weakest in the ruck. Naismith is out seasons end. Nank is getting on, and I have real doubts about Ryan. He can play footy but he is just to long and lanky, and will never have the strength to play against the top rucks in the league. Find a tall, strong, athletic kid, there are a few around.

Next would be a strong mid who is gunning it in the lower levels SANFL, WAFL, VFL. Anyone doing this would walk into our midfield right now.

Didn’t say Taranto can’t get in the park but in reflection I can see how’s interpreted that I was having a dig for being injured .
Point I was trying to make was that the club went balls all in on hopper and Taranto and the cupboard is quite bare when they are unavailable yet is possible two blokes were under the clubs nose who could be now filling the void .
The club has seemingly assumed hopper and Taranto would play every game for the duration of their contract and paid them accordingly .
Others suggesting the trading of Taranto is already validated because he won a b&f , for hecks sake $7 million dollars .
where did you pluck this made up figure from?

I'm hoping we go for a ruck or mid. Next season we have, Lynch, Balta, Gibcus, Lefau, Young and Miller, who form a young but pretty exciting group of talls. Fawcett is an unknown. Going for a tall key forward at this stage of the season seems a waste. They are not going to come in and solve any problem we have at the moment, and they will be superfluous next year unless they are going to replace Lynch. Very wishful thinking that any midseason draft is going to come in and play your no.1 forward.

Down the track I think we are weakest in the ruck. Naismith is out seasons end. Nank is getting on, and I have real doubts about Ryan. He can play footy but he is just to long and lanky, and will never have the strength to play against the top rucks in the league. Find a tall, strong, athletic kid, there are a few around.

Next would be a strong mid who is gunning it in the lower levels SANFL, WAFL, VFL. Anyone doing this would walk into our midfield right now.
At some stage we do have to replace Lynch. And not just Lynch, we need at least two good kpf’s. We have two choices, pray that we can prise a gun out of another club and pay an absolute fortune in salary and picks. Or, we develop our own kid. It’s unlikely that the first kid we pick will be as talented as Lynch. We need to get several good prospects in and see which one develops. Worst case scenario we still have to draft a replacement in but at least our development program should provide good second and third level kpf.

That would be like shutting the gate and buying another horse after you got a call from the next town to say they had found your horse and would bring him back next week.

Prestia is already back ... by the MSD Hopper will be back and Taranto will be 1-2 weeks away ... no State League midfielder will get a game in the second half and if they do it will be at the expense of MacAuliffe Dow or Sonsie

But it's exactly what the club will do

Edit: Though I would love for RCD to be redrafted and take Dow's spot on the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be like shutting the gate and buying another horse after you got a call from the next town to say they had found your horse and would bring him back next week.

Prestia is already back ... by the MSD Hopper will be back and Taranto will be 1-2 weeks away ... no State League midfielder will get a game in the second half and if they do it will be at the expense of MacAuliffe Dow or Sonsie

But it's exactly what the club will do

Edit: Though I would love for RCD to be redrafted and take Dow's spot on the team
Prestia is a week by week proposition. Hopper is 2-3 away and Taranto 3-4 according to this week on the Richmond website.

There are some seasoned very good mids who play a hard, tough, game at lower levels. They have just as much chance as some tall key forward, more in my opinion, because getting a key forward out of the top 20 shelf in the draft is very unlikely. RCD would be fun, imagine this board imploding.

At some stage we do have to replace Lynch. And not just Lynch, we need at least two good kpf’s. We have two choices, pray that we can prise a gun out of another club and pay an absolute fortune in salary and picks. Or, we develop our own kid. It’s unlikely that the first kid we pick will be as talented as Lynch. We need to get several good prospects in and see which one develops. Worst case scenario we still have to draft a replacement in but at least our development program should provide good second and third level kpf.
That is what the draft is for generally. You can fluke a key forward out of the state leagues, but it's rare. We have a good draft hand this season, no need to panic just yet.

Lynch is due some luck. We will have the cash to splash, which is probably our best option, but key forwards out of contract are not easy to find. We still have Lefau, who if he had the sort of service the Dogs forwards had on the weekend would have equalled anything they did. Balta is a better back but we are not short of backs and he will get better playing forward. Bauer is very interesting, showed great signs last week. Gibcus is another who can play both ends.

But our ruck situation is weak. We have invested in Ryan but he is 50-50 at best I think. If Nank goes down, we have only Ryan and Naismith who has not done anything to suggest he can do the job. He won't be around next year you would think.
We need a young athletic ruck pretty badly now that Soldo is not around, and there are quite a few who did not get drafted over the last 2 years or so.

Prestia is a week by week proposition. Hopper is 2-3 away and Taranto 3-4 according to this week on the Richmond website.

There are some seasoned very good mids who play a hard, tough, game at lower levels. They have just as much chance as some tall key forward, more in my opinion, because getting a key forward out of the top 20 shelf in the draft is very unlikely. RCD would be fun, imagine this board imploding.

Explaining Fran Healy GIF by Travis
Let's do the maths ... two games before MSD ...

Hopper = (2 to 3) - (2 games to MSD) = 0 to 1 weeks

Taranto = (3 to 4) - (2 games to MSD) = 1 to 2 weeks

Wow ... exactly what I said ... and with no player going to be drafted and played the same week ... more than likely both Taranto and Hopper will play the game after our MSD picks first week of training.

Explaining Fran Healy GIF by Travis
Let's do the maths ... two games before MSD ...

Hopper = (2 to 3) - (2 games to MSD) = 0 to 1 weeks

Taranto = (3 to 4) - (2 games to MSD) = 1 to 2 weeks

Wow ... exactly what I said ... and with no player going to be drafted and played the same week ... more than likely both Taranto and Hopper will play the game after our MSD picks first week of training.
Yes that may be so, but what happens with injury. Hopper and Prestia in particular have struggled for years. A Newcomb type mid is what we need. MacAuliffe is most likely that type, but he's 18. Mid season drafts are there to help you out short term, if they flourish stay in the side even better.

Point is, getting a tall out of the lower leagues is an even harder ask I think.

Didn’t say Taranto can’t get in the park but in reflection I can see how’s interpreted that I was having a dig for being injured .
Point I was trying to make was that the club went balls all in on hopper and Taranto and the cupboard is quite bare when they are unavailable yet is possible two blokes were under the clubs nose who could be now filling the void .
The club has seemingly assumed hopper and Taranto would play every game for the duration of their contract and paid them accordingly .
Others suggesting the trading of Taranto is already validated because he won a b&f , for hecks sake $7 million dollars .
Hopper, Tarranto & Ross, Graham also injured. Prestia too until recently. That's a whole midfield out. Any new player we might've drafted, might've been injured too. Like Fawcett.

I didn't love TT & JH IN at the same time but it has been Lynch injuries that are derailing seasons. Over time that 750k will be about average salary.

As Prestia, Dusty retire TT & JH will be useful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back