Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Two are plainly not good enough and are on the wrong side of 30.

One is, unfortunately, on his last legs.

And the fourth has just made his debut.

IMO this is the best chance we will have to snag a talented project ruckman that can develop alongside Reeves. It will save us using a more valuable pick in the actual draft too.
I certainly dont disagree with you regarding our current ruck stocks and looking to have another developing ruckman added to the list sooner rather than later. I just hate the idea of potentially overlooking another key position player for someone who will sit on our list for 3 years who if he is any good gets graded to Gold Coast for better opportunities.

I am probably not giving ruckman the respect that they deserve but i reckon you can nab decent enough 23 year old from the VFL if and when you need them without clogging the list up. That being said, Moyle may be the most talented propect at that pick so wouldnt be too upset if they did pick him up.

My understanding was we just need to move Sicily onto the long term injury list and we will have two available. One was because of Patton I believe.

Ahhh, having two picks explains why Jai took the risk of putting a long term on his contract requirement. It sounds like we have told him we will draft him with our second pick if he's available.

I'm probably in the minority, but I would love for us to take Stengle at 2 (providing we land Newcombe with another pick).

I get the concerns, but we just lack talent on our list and he is a clear AFL talent. It's worth the risk, and you just hope that he is going to grab his last chance. If not, it's not a big deal as it's the mid-season draft. I think because of our list, we are putting too much stock into it.

Stengle is a known AFL talent, with some issues that makes it a risk. But I'd rather we take this risk/reward option as opposed to a project ruck that we could look for in a rookie draft.

If Stengle, only 22, turns it around he is an absolute steal in the mid-season draft. This guy can really play.

And before people post Bennell or whoever, there are just as many examples of players that turned it around. We all know big Bud had plenty of off-field moments early on that were swept under the carpet.

The last few games I’ve watch Stengle play for WWT, he hasn’t screamed AFL standard to me. Menzel has been a class above him in the forward line. I’ll take a closer look this weekend and see if that changes my perspective.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last few games I’ve watch Stengle play for WWT, he hasn’t screamed AFL standard to me. Menzel has been a class above him in the forward line. I’ll take a closer look this weekend and see if that changes my perspective.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Exactly, Stengle is not good enough to warrant taking a punt on given his issues. Even when he was initially drafted he was a rookie pick.

Not keen on Stengle. 22 and looking for a third club. He has obviously had plenty of chances, looked Adelaide Crows in the eye and told them that he would change. The last incident from memory was only last year and didn’t police find an illegal substance in his presence? Not worth the clubs time and effort.

I mean if the AFL knocked on every players door at 8.30 pm on a Saturday they would probably find a LOT of cocaine

I think it's more the repeat nature of his issues and drinking and driving that's problematic. I believe Crouch was with him and he's playing for St. Kilda

Not keen on Stengle. 22 and looking for a third club. He has obviously had plenty of chances, looked Adelaide Crows in the eye and told them that he would change. The last incident from memory was only last year and didn’t police find an illegal substance in his presence? Not worth the clubs time and effort.
The media just like "turn around" stories to balance out their 99.99% of negative utter s**t, and if it fails then they have another story to go with their 99.99% negative s**t anyway.

As a club we need to knuckle down and get strong willed kids into the club, not ones we have to constantly watch in case they go off the rails, but ones that start setting the standards for no BULLSHIT !

jmho

Stengel could be on crows list right now and see out contract for next yr as well but had to stay in SANFL this year. He chose not to do that and crows terminated contract. Must think a chance in Msd. No no no no, won't put in the hard work and looking for easy way back into AFL, maybe suitable for a rival club but not us.

Considering Stengle's off-field problems, it's apt that he ends up at Collingwood.

I'm not convinced on taking a ruckman with our first, but if there's something there, we should take Moyle. I feel we should take Callow as understudy for Gunners. Hope we do jag Newcombe with a second pick as he's obviously a favorite of Sam's (along with Saunders.)

The media just like "turn around" stories to balance out their 99.99% of negative utter sh*t, and if it fails then they have another story to go with their 99.99% negative sh*t anyway.

As a club we need to knuckle down and get strong willed kids into the club, not ones we have to constantly watch in case they go off the rails, but ones that start setting the standards for no BULLSHIT !

jmho
100% on the money

And aside from all that we don't really need the flakey talents anyway. I'd rather we invest in the meat and potatoes that provide the core of your long term team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media just like "turn around" stories to balance out their 99.99% of negative utter sh*t, and if it fails then they have another story to go with their 99.99% negative sh*t anyway.

jmho
This post 100 times over. When your searching / sifting around through someone else's sh*t your usually only going to find sh*t. We are at the start of our rebuilding stage where we need to start laying the foundations properly. This starts with not only good player but also ones that are good people. We are not in any position to be taking a flyer on kids like Stengle that have had multiple off field issues. We need to make EVERY pick count from the mid-season to the national draft. Let teams like Richmond and Geelong go take that risk.

I'm also pretty cold on Stengle right now. Do we want another 22 year old to jostle with Brockman, Morris, Pepper, Hanrahan, Saunders at Box Hill? Not at 1.5 goals, 13 touches and 2 tackles a game at SANFL level imo.

Doesn't fit our list needs. Production isn't outstanding. Already should be marked more harshly given history. Half of the young AFL listed guys at Box Hill are playing through his position. I don't see it.

Yeah that’s my man. I mean, played a blinder once and full credit & love. But gee whiz did some extraordinarily strange things at times. Bless.
Bit harsh, it was more than just a blinder, he was huge for half a season in 2012.

Any chance of getting 3 picks by putting both Siss and Seamus on LTI? Then when they are right or when required we trim the list accordingly.

‘or take less in the 2021 ND. I guess given we aren’t contending, any player taken now is instead of a third or fourth round pick in november

Remove this Banner Ad

Back