Analysis Mid Season Review; Where are we at and what is on the cards for us for the rest of the year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it time to try a tagger? They've never been more effective than they are right now. I don't get why Dimma is so reluctant to try it. Who could it be for us? Townsend? Graham? Personally I think Weller could do a good job. He's fast, decent tank, and lays a strong tackle. He'd be hungry, might be the last opportunity he gets at AFL level. If De Boer can become an elite tagger anyone can.
Said it preseason, why not try Castagna. He is our best tackler, is one of our quickest, is very strong, played some minutes last week in the centre, and could quickly get off his man on a counter attack due to his speed and sharp movement. There is a question of footy nous of course, but why not give him a challenge. Worse footballers than him have become taggers.

Round 14 Operation be 1 game clear inside the eight.

WCE d ESS ☑
GEE d PORT

Round 15 operation be 2 games clear in the eight

RICH d STK
GWS d ESS
WBULL d PORT ( this might be a stretch as it's in adelaide )

Round 16 operation be 2 games or more in the eight

RICH d GC
ADE d PORT

Last edited:

Wanna know how to get tagging out the game?
Have Richmond run the most tagging game plan of all time. Then AFL will change the rules to outlaw it.
good way to lose a game as it would completely stuff-up our structures.

tagging has it's place. it's the s**t that goes on off the ball that the umpires ignore that shits me. not just the sly stuff but the blocking too.

Round 14 Operation be 1 game clear inside the eight.

WCE d ESS
GEE d PORT

Round 15 operation be 2 games clear in the eight

RICH d STK
GWS d ESS
WBULL d PORT ( this might be a stretch as it's in adelaide )

Round 16 operation be 2 games or more in the eight

RICH d GC
ADE d PORT
aints will play their grand final against us again

It’ll be tough even when players return as it’ll take them a bit to get it all going again.
Without seeing fixture was surprised to see Essendon in the 8 and Freo out?

good way to lose a game as it would completely stuff-up our structures.

tagging has it's place. it's the **** that goes on off the ball that the umpires ignore that ****s me. not just the sly stuff but the blocking too.

Except our structure is exposed when a bloke like Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Crouch etc. get a hold of us.
I can never figure out why we don't try and shut guns down. I guess it's Stubboness!

I just want us to beat St Kilda quite easily to be honest. Our last 3 weeks have been pretty terrible apart from 1 good quarter in each game.

Gold Coast game is also a danger game especially if we don't return to some decent form against St Kilda.

10+ goals wins in each of them. Want to be enjoying my last quarter beers knowing the game is in the bag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any fresh news on the injury front?

How are those 2-4 week injury terms looking like now for Jack, Nank, Ross and Short? If they dont have a date set yet for any of them then its def not 2 weeks and probably at least 4. Im hoping to hear We expect them all back playing afl or vfl round 16 or rnd 17

Any fresh news on the injury front?

How are those 2-4 week injury terms looking like now for Jack, Nank, Ross and Short? If they dont have a date set yet for any of them then its def not 2 weeks and probably at least 4. Im hoping to hear We expect them all back playing afl or vfl round 16 or rnd 17
Yep
I’m thinking the Melb game is when we start hitting top gear with everybody except Rance.
I think we have to win ar least one of
Coll
GWS
WCOAST
and not drop expected wins to make the 8

I wasnt but someone I know was who I fully trust.

Was very complimentary on how they both went about it (not a tiger supporter)

Interesting to hear.
yeah that's my club actually. I coach cricket down there but my son plays cricket and footy there at Mitcham. I saw rancy there last year and he was awesome. Saw cotchy there in 2016 as well. He was really good under a hell of a lot of pressure

take this as you want but Caddy and Grigg did a Sportsman night recently and internally the club / players are very very confident about our back half of the year and are setting themselves for it knowing who is coming back.

so you're saying undefeated from now on and a 2nd flag in 3 years?

Look, here's how it's gonna go.

Round 15 vs St Kilda: With Cotchin, Lambert, Edwards and Astbury back in the side, we manage to grind out a 5 goal win

Round 16 vs Gold Coast: Short comes back into the side and we pull away in the last quarter for a 40 point win. Lynch best on ground against his old side.

Round 17 vs GWS: Nankervis and Riewoldt return to the side and we beat GWS in a tough, wet slog. 3 goal win.

Round 18 vs Port Adelaide: Jack Ross returns to the side and we get a 4 goal win over Port. We're starting to look ominous and are announced as genuine Premiership contenders.

Round 19 vs Collingwood: Unsurprisingly, after the media talks us and our 11-6 record up, Collingwood smash us in the middle and we lose by 27 points. We sit just above 100%

Round 20 vs Melbourne: Marlion Pickett makes his AFL debut and we thump the Demons by 56 points.

Round 21 vs Carlton: A regulation 100 point win is celebrated in full, with Damien Hardwick announcing in his press conference that Alex Rance will be returning from his ACL and playing next week.

Round 22 vs West Coast: A full strength Richmond proves too good for the Eagles. We are now premiership favourites. 37 point winners. The media starts talking about our dream run with injuries.

Round 23 vs Brisbane: The Lions need to win this to make the top 8, and they play like it. But a Dustin Martin goal in the final minute sinks Brisbane hearts as we lock away a top 4 finish.

We finish the home and away season in 4th position with a percentage of 110, playing Geelong in the Qualifying Final.

And so it begins. Didn't call Short back yet, but otherwise spot on.

With Riewoldt returning to the side very shortly, do we run the risk of being too top heavy with JR, Lynch, Soldo/Nank & Chol / Balta ? We need a 2nd ruck but how do we fit everyone in without compromising speed / pressure? Can we afford to drop another small?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back