Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

He's just so one-dimensional and he isn't very efficient in that one dimension (second-worst TS% of anybody averaging over 20 points). If he's up against a good defender (Leonard, Roberson, Covington are a few that have shut him down this season) he's a massive liability. Doesn't defend, barely rebounds, rarely passes, can't create for others and is only passable at the free throw line. Further, he has regressed or stagnated in a bunch of statistical categories this season. When he's on he's a consistent offensive threat in iso situations but in close games/clutch time you need ball movement and he stops that almost every time he gets the ball. He actively hinders our ability to find open shots. The counter argument is that he makes a lot of those tough shots, but there are times in a game where dribbling three times then taking a contested jump shot at the top of the key isn't the right option.

He's still so young in basketball terms but I'm getting more concerned as the season goes on. He needs another string or three to his bow.
Do you think he could/should be traded?

Do you think he could/should be traded?
Could? No.

Should? I don't think so, but I can see the other side of the argument. We're not really at the point where we can afford to offload assets for a loss or even move sideways.

Could? No.

Should? I don't think so, but I can see the other side of the argument. We're not really at the point where we can afford to offload assets for a loss or even move sideways.
Worst case he's Rudy Gay/Jerry Stackhouse

Worst case he's Rudy Gay/Jerry Stackhouse
The question then becomes though whether our core is enough. The dialogue throughout the media/opposition fans seems to be that we have a core set for future success. If Wiggins becomes Rudy Gay, do we?

I think we need another high pick this year and I think Thibs knows it.

The question then becomes though whether our core is enough. The dialogue throughout the media/opposition fans seems to be that we have a core set for future success. If Wiggins becomes Rudy Gay, do we?

I think we need another high pick this year and I think Thibs knows it.
The defense is the worry.

His best case is probably jimmy butler if he puts in the work. And given thibs had a lot to do with Jimmy I'd be hopeful he can.

Towns has improvement to make defensively as well

You definitely need Dunn to take a leap into the starting role and a 4/5 alongside towns.

The defense is the worry.

His best case is probably jimmy butler if he puts in the work. And given thibs had a lot to do with Jimmy I'd be hopeful he can.

Towns has improvement to make defensively as well

You definitely need Dunn to take a leap into the starting role and a 4/5 alongside towns.
Agree on defence. If Wiggins can become a plus or even neutral defender and pair that with his scoring (while hopefully growing a touch more efficient with experience), he'll be fine.

KAT's defence will be ok once he's strong enough to (and the matchups allow him to - i.e. no Dieng in the starting lineup) matchup on the opposing 5 rather than the 4s which just get around him too easily.

Dieng has to go out of that starting lineup and we have to work out whether a LaVine/Wiggins pairing is feasible long-term as well. And that's without considering the Rubio/Dunn/Jones/other PG conundrum.

With no '18 pick, we need a top 5-7 this season, as much as I'd like to win.

We're looking to trade Ricky for Reggie Jackson.

Urg. Better player. utdo we need more athletic scorers?
Trade doesn't make much sense for either team I reckon. I'd also rather give Reggie another 10 games now that he seems over his injury before any trade. Shabazz has been talked about aswell but makes no sense for us as we already have Stanley Johnson who can't shoot off the bench.

The theory I have heard is that Thibs is playing LaVine, Wiggins & Towns together as much as possible to work out if they can be effective together because at the moment they are not. Wigs and Lavine are both ball dominate 2s, so currently we are better when one of them doesn't play and Rush sits in the corner and plays a bit of defense. If they don't work it out Thibs wants to be real sure which one he wants to keep.

This Pod from a couple of weeks ago goes into depth about it, its pretty interesting.

Last edited:
It's exactly what he's doing

Wiggins has all the potential in the world, The guy we saw in OT just, I dont want to sound like a generic basketball fan, but he gets it done.

Lavine is an Enigma, Todays game to have a guy who doesn't need usage and can hurt you from the 3 is crucial, He can catch and shoot, He's explosive and the amount he's picked up in 3 years is insane. His release is A++++++, He's unfortunately, an idiot, I've coached guys like him, Sometimes guys are just superior players but wont do anything but play off the bench because they won't do the right thing 100% of the time.

IN saying that, Moving forward to keep one ,I'ld go Lavine, Even if Wiggins is the bigger Star and will be the better player.Just purely His catch+shoot, Towns you want 40% of his posessions comming through the post/high post, Keep Shabazz as a bench scorer, WIth Wiggins while he's ******* money from his mid range Some team will give us a top 10 pick for him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The theory I have heard is that Thibs is playing LaVine, Wiggins & Towns together as much as possible to work out if they can be effective together because at the moment they are not. Wigs and Lavine are both ball dominate 2s, so currently we are better when one of them doesn't play and Rush sits in the corner and plays a bit of defense. If they don't work it out Thibs wants to be real sure which one he wants to keep.

This Pod from a couple of weeks ago goes into depth about it, its pretty interesting.

Fair points, but playing LaVine all game while he's playing this s**t isn't helping anybody.

He's just so one-dimensional and he isn't very efficient in that one dimension (second-worst TS% of anybody averaging over 20 points). If he's up against a good defender (Leonard, Roberson, Covington are a few that have shut him down this season) he's a massive liability. Doesn't defend, barely rebounds, rarely passes, can't create for others and is only passable at the free throw line. Further, he has regressed or stagnated in a bunch of statistical categories this season. When he's on he's a consistent offensive threat in iso situations but in close games/clutch time you need ball movement and he stops that almost every time he gets the ball. He actively hinders our ability to find open shots. The counter argument is that he makes a lot of those tough shots, but there are times in a game where dribbling three times then taking a contested jump shot at the top of the key isn't the right option.

He's still so young in basketball terms but I'm getting more concerned as the season goes on. He needs another string or three to his bow.

Where exactly should he be at, considering that he's still only 21/22, and could still be a Senior in college?

He's a couple of years away from even entering his prime as an athlete and basketball player. It's only hype and the fact that the Wolves have little else to pin their hopes on that has crowned him a superstar. Realistically, he shouldn't be expected to be there yet.

He's probably not going to live up to the immense hype and become an all-time great, but then again, he was probably always overhyped to begin with. I wouldn't give up on him right now, though.

I'm guessing most would decline yeah? Be paid a year earlier?

It's a Team Option with the rookie contracts, to add a 4th year on the rookie scale. It's not a choice for the player to make. Teams can choose to pick up a player's 4th year option at any time in their first two years, but the deadline is the start of their 3rd season.

Players can sign extensions beyond their rookie deal, but they don't begin (and start counting against the salary cap) until after the rookie deal has ended. So for Karl-Anthony Towns, any big-money deal wouldn't commence until 2019-20. There's no "choosing to get paid early" as such, or work-arounds for a team "overpay" young players to reach the salary cap floor (90% of the salary cap) either. That's why teams that are actively rebuilding are always carrying some larger contracts or veterans, and also engage in buyouts, to reach that cap floor (there is a fine from the league otherwise). It's both a method to control tanking and weed out stingy owners, but also save teams from themselves (banking all their hopes and cap room on a young player who ends up busting) and give rookies a payscale commensurate for what their standing in the league should be (with the league skewing younger than it did 20 years ago when the scale was bought in, it seems a bit antiquated, but that's the idea).

Stephenson is probably one of my favourite non-wolves players

Rose coloured glasses, His Defense was awesome on Lowry, having two guards who could guard two elite guards was great.

I reckon he'll stick this season.

Where exactly should he be at, considering that he's still only 21/22, and could still be a Senior in college?

He's a couple of years away from even entering his prime as an athlete and basketball player. It's only hype and the fact that the Wolves have little else to pin their hopes on that has crowned him a superstar. Realistically, he shouldn't be expected to be there yet.

He's probably not going to live up to the immense hype and become an all-time great, but then again, he was probably always overhyped to begin with. I wouldn't give up on him right now, though.
I'll preface this by saying that since those posts his form has picked up again and he has had a greater impact outside of scoring.

I don't expect him to be a superstar right now though. I expect him to need to develop. Even with young guys though you like to see more than one dimension. He's an awesome scorer but aside from that we only see good displays in other areas once in a blue moon.

The question isn't whether he's going to be a good player. He's already "good." For a KAT/Wiggins/LaVine/Dunn core to succeed, though, Wiggy needs to impact outside of scoring. He hasn't really shown much of an ability to do so. He'll develop, but it's hard to imagine all of those skills coming out of nowhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back