Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Discussion in 'Carlton' started by JustaBattler, Jul 25, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Also happens to be the same number of Bryce Gibbs' they have.

Dadda Dave, Tommy Alvin and BJuddy like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Stormzy

Stormzy Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Chicago Bulls, Manchester City FC
    A few blokes have that mongrel edge to their game and I think it will only get better next year.

Blokes like Jonesy, Weiters, Lamb, Zac Fisher and Cripps when he comes back are all lads I'm looking forward to seeing.

Think Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer also have that edge to their game but it can go missing at crucial times.

3. Prem17

Prem17 Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I would have Pickett in there.
    You don't tackle like that if you're a pretty boy.
    Bit harsh on Plow and Marchbank and even Simmo too. They all go where angels fear to tread

4. mmhau

mmhau Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Our team needs a few stars and the rest need mongrel

thylacine60 likes this.
  5. Jabba73

Jabba73 Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Vixens
    If David Teague joins our coaching ranks, will increase the mongrel big time

6. Dadda Dave

Dadda Dave Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Was one of the very few that had a crack for our team back in the day ..was good to watch ..

Jabba73 likes this.
  7. Jabba73

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Vixens

Dadda Dave likes this.
  8. bluemahogany

bluemahogany All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Miami Heat, Manchester United
    I reckon Mckay has mongrel

9. Cripps17

Cripps17 All Australian

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Against us I recall Kennedy giving it to our guys and not taking a backward step.

He and Cripps will really set the tone for the next decade - a lack of mongrel won't be an issue for much longer.

F the Rest and Mr_Plow like this.
  10. katmanblue

katmanblue Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Nah. Liam is nice.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

11. Bluebag13

Bluebag13 Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Does not take a backward step in a contest and what's to get to every contest like its his last. Mongrel doesn't need to be just off the ball

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueGum and JustaBattler like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. mmhau

mmhau Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I love Teague is back at the club.

13. Ken Navies

Ken Navies Senior List

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Don’t rem
    Don’t remember Teague being high up on the mongrel charts and Crows forwards showed zero mongrel in the big show. Anyway, welcome home David.
    Ya mongrel...

14. mediumsizered

mediumsizered Premium Platinum

Carlton
    Other teams:
    You're right. Teague was definitely not a mongrel, just an amazingly courageous player.

KennyHuntersBlues likes this.
  15. ITCHY EYEBALLS

ITCHY EYEBALLS Club Legend

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Peter Dean, Jimmy B, Dom, Diesel, the Vet, Earl Spaulding, Matty Hogg, Franchina, Brown Dog, Ratts, Hickmott, Fev, Hammil, Scotto, I could keep going. They all had mongrel.
    Unfortunately I don't see anyone apart from ASOS, in our current list who even comes close to any of those guys.

Jabba73 and BlueTongue like this.
  16. JustaBattler

JustaBattler Brownlow Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Lets get something clear - anyone who plays AFL is playing in the full knowledge that at any they can cop a big hit and often know they will. It takes courage to play this type of competitive sport and mongrel to just get fit enough to be picked. The type of mongrel I am interested in talking about though, is the competitive imperative that some players have and some don't - meaning the animal insistence to beat their man every time - one way or another.

Backline is full of developing mongrel factor and cream is Alpha mongrel types who go out of their way to make 'em earn it - take a bow Alex. I like Williamson because he has some arrogant dash and isn't afraid to take 'em on he and Byrne tick my box there. Weitering is a cool headed mongrel type but yet to take a scalp has been more on the receiving end needs to develop some physical presence not just class, same can be said of Marchbank who may have been encumbered by physical limitations this year - Jones is an accidental mongrel type can damage as he goes hard with eyes on ball - would like to see him, learn how to hurt opposition with a bit of of knee, hip and elbow during contest. Docherty is the standout leader back there - but he will probably need to play more time further up - could become a midfielder no one was looking for as he has the size, leg speed and competitiveness to have a go- if not the in close skills. Plowman gets under the skin of most he comes up against - some physical hurt is better Plow.

In the middle we have the truck Kreuzer who just plows through opposition for 4 quarters often wearing down taller opponents - probably the fairest playing ruck in the competition have never seen him take a swing at anyone - but also have never seen anyone have a swing at him. Crippa was playing injured for much of the year till he broke his leg again - growth pains continue as this boy keeps growing upwards. This bloke is a competitive best and needs a couple of blokes around him with same mindset - welcome Kennedy. I like the look of Pickett who has shown glimpses of what he can do with ball in hand because he is blessed with elite speed - I'd like to see him develop staying power - we can use a game breaker - he can display mongrel by chasing down anyone within 10 meters of him on the run and shoving their head through the turf after getting the free. SPS/Fisher/Cuningham are all goers learning to make their way around the footy field - if preparedness to hassle matters they have it - but all lack the body size to dish it out. Fisher is going to find it hard to keep a spot if he doesn't start making things happen in 2018. and Cuningham - we need you to step up and stay in the side son. Charlie Curnow wants to dish it out I dont care where he is played because I expect him to have an explosive year in 2018 - salivating at the thought of Cripps/Kennedy and C.Curnow rotating through on ball or resting up forward and smashing some sleepy third tall defender into next week. Boekhurst talked a big game before Malthouse recruited him and played a couple of decent games in an end of contract year has the skill to play and some leg speed to spare a pity he often goes into a fetal position when he sees his own shadow. Ed has real mongrel - he runs both ways all day and is never beaten by anyone he plays on and has learned to kick a regular goal - under rated heart and soul type like Kreuzer- would love to see them both learn how to slip a dirty knee or accidental hip through more players more often - wont happen.

Up forward Levi is a perennial disappointment in the mongrel stakes - a few years ago he had some genuine developing malice about him - these days maybe fatherhood has neutered him - just as likely to injure one of our own than the opposition - clumsy dumb footballer - wake up Levi! No problem with McKay from the little I saw of him he is in a hurry to make his mark - add some bulk to your skeleton son and then start throwing your weight around - will be a ripper for us once his growing body settles. Jack son of Jo has competitive spirit in his DNA played injured for a long time and needs some muscle to support his competitiveness I have no doubt he will make up what he lacks in speed with brains - always there to support a team mate when the opposition do a dirty. Lamb likes the dirty little tagger role up front - some goals would be handy because small forwards kicking goals are better than same chasing re bounders. Wright likes to kick a goal but lacks the leg speed to smash a re bounder so often doesn't even try - I like him anyway.

Gibbs has mongrel he just doesn't use it often enough to be frank I don't think Gibbsy thinks he is as good as others see him to be could have been a top 10 mid in AFL if he had just a tad more nasty in him more often. Murphy hasn't got a mongrel bone in his body and it doesn't help that he can't lay a p[roper tackle anymore either. Thomas has mongrel but is now not physically up to the demands of the game anymore. Simpson is legend always putting his head over the ball and copping the hit backing into a contest- but dishing it out factor not his caper. Phillips ( the forgotten man) has been injured all year but big red would be more interesting if he got some aggro into his game - around stoppages he looks half asleep wake up son you have the size to dominate. How sad to see Sumner ( a genuine little mongrel) fritter away his playing potential mongrelling it up against civilians if the story is true...

I'm sure Bolton will make sure the boys learn to play with a harder edge as soon as they are fit enough to play 4 quarters - I look forward to seeing more evidence of genuine competitive spirit emerge from more in 2018 - because that is what mongrel is with the occasional bit of nasty thrown in.

here is my team of genuine mongrels:

Byrne Alex S Plowman
    Docherty Jones Weitering

Ed C. Gibbs XXX
    Kreuzer Cripps Kennedy( has shown it at GWS)

JackS Charlie XXX
    Lamb Harry XXX

IC: XXX XXX , XXX, XXX.

Looking forward to seeing: SPS/Pickett/Fisher/Cuningham/Phillips/McCreadie/Marchbank join the crew.

le dominateur likes this.
  17. Jabba73

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Vixens
    Casboult tried to bring the mongrel and got slapped with a two week ban for a push with an open hand to the chest.

One rule for some ...

18. JustaBattler

Carlton
    Other teams:

better a couple of knees to the kidneys or head at the next pack mark.

19. Jabba73

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Vixens
    Teach the midfield to kick it where he can run onto it instead of sitting it on his head and he will do that, has form. We are neutering his weapons from poor disposal and awareness instead of using his advantages. In danger of doing the same thing to Charlie and McKay if we don't fix this in the off season.

Midfield can either help spread the forwards into space or concentrate the defenders where the ball is going. Hopefully we will no longer be poor in this area with the amount of better ball users gaining fitness and game awareness.

20. JustaBattler

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Agree with what you say - the problem in midfield is that the experienced ball users - Gibbs and Murphy have been played as onballers...SPS/Fisher better show they can kick to forwards advantage in 2018 ....the running around chasing tail harassing is ok but the game is about scoring. I'm hoping Teague can improve running patterns in forward line - that and hopefully and an improved ability to actually win a center clearance with Cripps and Kennedy in there.

We got destroyed in center bounces once Cripps left - ex Gibbs we were left with a bunch of nuff nuffs pretending to be clearance players was abysmal to watch.

Jabba73 likes this.