Universal Love Most Exciting/Happiest Time as a Geelong Supporter

Which was your favourite Grand Final win?

• 2011 Collingwood

• 2009 St Kilda

• 2007 Port Adelaide

• 1963 Hawthorn

• 1952 Collingwood

• 1951 Essendon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you go back to the month leading up to finals, we weren't even considered to make the grand final.

I remember the "prize" for the winner of the final round game between the Dogs and Collingwood that year was the chance to play us in the qualifying final.

One of my favourite Cats. His skills gave me lots of pleasure. Was devastated when he did his ACL, and even more when he went to Brisbane.

So rapt we have Jed who is another son of a Gun

Last edited:
In the time Ive been watching he is comfortably the biggest by at least a good 5 plus metres on average. Some of his kicks from kick ins at full back were insane. There was one kick that went a good 5 plus metres past the centre circle at geelong before it bounced. Think it was against Port. No one else has got close to a kick that big since.

Just a 'what-if' scenario, but what if Josh Hunt could've bombed it to Ben Graham in the centre? There wouldn't be a ground in existence we couldn't have covered with those two blokes! Gazza and Billy Brownless too. We've had some absolute monster kicks of the footy over the years.

Just a 'what-if' scenario, but what if Josh Hunt could've bombed it to Ben Graham in the centre? There wouldn't be a ground in existence we couldn't have covered with those two blokes! Gazza and Billy Brownless too. We've had some absolute monster kicks of the footy over the years.
Ben Graham to Billy Brownless
Brownless Goal.
I can see it.

Probably my favourite time as a Geelong supporter was the 09GF. Knew there was no hope of getting a ticket to the game, people were selling tickets on Facebook + eBay for $1,500⬆︎, so a Qld friend + I decided we'd make the trip to Geelong + watch the game at Steampacket.

As I was boarding the plane, wearing my Geelong scarf, another friend rang + said:

"Kitty, this is NOT a joke! I'm taking you to the GF!" Well I just started screaming, every passenger just stared at me, so I announced to the whole plane, pointing to my phone "My friend is taking me to the FG!" + the whole plane erupted into cheers + clapping.

Unable to contain my excitement for the next 24 hours, I was just OTT. We went to the GF parade, managed to get a park outside Hardy Brothers *first good omen* + we had so much fun.

Checked into our hotel, run by Colliwobbles' fans :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Receptionist, Roxanne, was mortified we were Geelong supporters lol

Next morning my friend went to breakfast wearing her Geelong pyjamas, socks + slippers + was booted from the dining room for being inappropriately dressed :D:D:D

Went to a pub before the game + enjoyed some banter with Pies' fans, then off to the game. Our seats were in the Members' Stand, right up in the gods, row QQ IIRC, but I didn't care. When we sat down, it was such a surprise that our view, on the Wing, was fabulous + we could see really well - fantastic design of the MCG.

My friend was seated next to THE MOST VILE Pies' fan, who sneered, made nasty comments + regarded us as :poo::poo::poo: on her shoe!

The build-up to the game was huge! Helicopters sneaking a look at StevieJ proving his knee was OK. The massive win over Hawks in in QF2 + WCE in PF2!

The game - faves:
  • Brad Ottens wining the first centre clearance + Varcoe's opening goal;
  • Varcoe's second goal in first four minutes;
  • The way Selwood + Bartel surged, taking the team with them in Q2;
  • Five goals in the Premiership quarter;
  • StevieJ's four goals;
  • Tomahawk's three goals in Q3;
  • Bartel 3, Hawkins 3, Varcoe 3, Selwood 2;
  • Duncan's goal changed the game;
  • Ling tagging Swan
  • Lonergan shut-down Travis Cloke;
  • Ling's goal to seal victory with five minutes to go;
  • Scott's fist pump.
At half-time when I went outside to have a gasper, I was kidnapped by five Pies' fans. I'd witnessed their violent behaviour at the SCG + was petrified, imagining being tarred + feathered. They dragged me off to their group, force me to drink VB + to smoke Longbeach ciggies. One woman cuddled me saying "We're so happy we're playing Geelong in the GF! All the other teams' fans are so horrible to us, but Cats fans are so lovely!" I just thought, yeah, because we're petrified of you lol

What can I say about the atmosphere at the MCG. It was my second Geelong game at the G, my first was when GAS booted 14 against Richmond.

For a NSW person, everything said about the G is true! You just have to experience it + on GF day is the ultimate!

Q1 was nail biting, with the lead changing four times.
Q2 Bartel's goal from the boundary!
Q3 more nail biting with the lead changing five times. Tomahawk's soccer in the goal square.
Q4 when Tomahawk missed two goals, was forced by StevieJ to handball, who kicked the goal lol Varcoe's coast to coast goal!

After 10minutes in Q2, Geelong turned an 18 point deficit into a 38 point win, for a 56 point turnaround!

After half-time, when the Pies were leading, the vile Pies' woman started on us lol Making cracks about the 09GF, to which I replied, it only took us won time to beat the Saints lol She was among the Pies' fans who fled in Q4. Didn't believe we'd won, even when my friend said Pies fans were leaving because they'd lost. Only believed we'd won when Scott did the fist pump when Ling kicked the last goal!

The eeriness of the Geelong chant, towards the end of Q4 - shivers down the spine - goosebumps

Following the GF win, we went to the Geelong Cats GF Cocktail Party + what a blast!

When I shook hands with Ottens, I burst into tears, floods of tears of joy! His hands are ENORMOUS!!! The length of a Sherrin! He gave me a cuddle, while I sank into his blue eyes.

Commiserated with Enright that Rooke didn't play. He said we'd all have given anything to have him out there with us today.

Flirted with Billy Brownless, who said to his friends "All the old girls love me!" :eek::huh:o_O

One of my friends was secretly taken on to the Geelong team bus, by StevieJ + when she was discovered, the bus had to turn around + return to Rod Laver Arena lol

The next day at KP for Family Day was another fantastic celebration. Highlight - Stokes dressed as Ironman lol

Forgive my marathon post, I could say so much more :p

11GF is right up there with one of the best days of my life!

The other highlight from 2011, if we are allowed to call em that, were the two Travis Cloke goals. The biggest snags I have ever seen live! Huge.

The other highlight from 2011, if we are allowed to call em that, were the two Travis Cloke goals. The biggest snags I have ever seen live! Huge.
I prefer the other Travis goals that day. This bloke gave me a lot of pleasure at Geelong.

and

Would love to form a team of the most EXCITING Geelong players seen (not necessarily BEST)
-the players that make you come to games to see their freakish skills-

FB Vinar - Scarlett - Bews
HB Marshall - Graham - Wojcinski
C M.Turner - Dangerfield - Riccardi
HF Sharrock - Ryan - SJohnson
FF GAblett jnr - GAblett snr - Varcoe
R Farmer - GHocking - Goggin
i/c Brownless - Lindner - P Lynch - Burns

emerg- Bizzell, Hinkley, Jackson,

Vinar- only player I've seen to rival Ben Graham's prodigious kicks
Scarlett- our Sideshow Bob
Bews-a superskilled bp/fp/rover
Marshall- a brilliant footballer in defence or midfield
Graham- the longest cnsistent kick we've seen in the AFL
Wojo- quickest of the quick, often the spark we needed
Turner- brilliant, quick, skilled winger/hff
Dangerfield-the best and most exciting player in the comp past 3 years.
Riccardi- silky skilled left foot winger
Sharrock- the epitome of a Cats player- played as skillfully as you'd ever see a HFF play
Billy- the best aerialist on a consistent basis
Dog- a freakishly skilled opportunist
GAJ- second best Cat I've ever seen
GAS- Best player I've ever seen- the TOTAL package
Varcoe-at his best, a very exciting player
Polly- created handball as an offensive weapon
Buddha- loved his ferocity at every contest
Billy Goggin- best exponent of the stab pass the game has seen
Billy Brownless- high marking, long kicking exciting player
Lindner- if not for GAS, would have been as exciting a player as we've seen
Lynchy- dodgy hammies aside, would have been a freak player
Ronny- bamboozled opponents, teammates and himself with his blind-turns, but when on, was hot.

Unlucky- Joel Selwood- see Buddha- just preferred Buddha's skills
Very unlucky- Sam Newman- ruckwork, or CHF- a gun player.

Last edited:
Would love to form a team of the most EXCITING Geelong players seen (not necessarily BEST)

FB -Vinar Scarlett Bews
HB- Marshall Graham Wojcinski
C- M.Turner Dangerfield Riccardi
HF- Sharrock Ryan SJohnson
FF- GAblett jnr Gablett snr Varcoe
R- Farmer GHocking Goggin
i/c Brownless, Lindner, P Lynch, Burns

Good list VD. I was going to mention Lynch and Lindner but you beat me to it.

I'll give you one omission which does surprise me - no David Clarke?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best calls of that great day were.... Travis Cloke has not touched the ball for 38 mins..... Yes that's a free kick any day of the week, this will bring Collingwood back we know how good they are at coming back.... If he kicks this they will be ?? points behind.... oh it is a point.

Forget how bad the commentary was. Geelong had all the play with 7 mins to go and 25 points up yet they were still willing them to win with crazy comments like they have to kick 5 goals. Was anyone ever on our side.
Fortunately, I didn't have to endure the stupid commentary! Did the commentators really expect Collingwood to make a big come-back + win? lol Do you remember who was commentating, ATSAM?

Scott's fist pump in the dying minutes of the 2011 GF.

I was sitting on level 2 and seeing that on the big screen as it happened live brought me to tears.
Wasn't that fist pump of Scott's epic? Even though the Pies fans were leaving, like rats fleeing a sinking ship, I was on the edge of my seat, just unable to believe we'd won! But when I saw Scotty's fist pump, like you on the big screen, I knew we'd won. Also, all the players, coaches + runners on the Geelong bench were hugging, kissing + going crazy lol What an awesome win!

I reckon GAS could be up there with Graham's huge kicks! *ducks for cover*

Imagine the 'What If' scenario with Graham kicking to GAS lol All four were huge kicks! Also, accurate!

Yes! Massive!

Even better, the highlight when Harry was removed from Cloke + Lonergan moved on to Cloke, which shut him right down! lol

Must admit I reckon 'our' Travis' goals were better that day! Not at all biased! lol

His first two goals in less than a minute!

Then:
Varcoe kicks a famous last quarter Grand Final goal:

What about the GF goals, which were behinds?

2009 GF
"Tom Hawkins - The Phantom Goal"
"The most blatant goal umpiring error in Grand Final history. An umpire finally wins a team a premiership."
:joycat::joycat::joycat::joycat::joycat::joycat:

Comments replying:
"Had no influence on the game. Makes up for the shocking free and goal against Milburn on half time. Cancel each other out."
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

"The Hawkins non-goal was in the second quarter and Gwilt's free kick was with 1 minute left you ****. Not only that, St Kilda won that game by under a goal, Geelong won this by 12 pts."
:joycat::joycat::joycat:

2001 GF
Sharrod Wellingham awarded goal after it glanced off the post:

"Geelong defenders rushed to point at the post but the goal was awarded."

"The goal umpire appeared set to signal a behind before giving the signal for a goal."

Ah yes that sounds right and yes it was 14.
At the beginning + end of each quarter, I posted myself outside the Geelong Rooms lol They were given the Australian Cricket rooms, quite an honour! The terrible thing about the Swans games back then was only the Swans Club song was played when they won. If an oppo team won, their Club song was not played! But all was well! I had printed Geelong's Club song + photocopied about 100, handed them out to everyone in the Members' Stand :joycat::joycat::joycat: Swans fans were very unimpressed. Wrote a letter to Swans' Chairman + SCG Trust Chairman, complaining. The very next time an oppo team won, their Club song was played :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

This guy was one of my favourite ever Cats

and

and

and

Another very under-rated player!

FB -Vinar Scarlett Bews
HB- Marshall Graham Wojcinski
C- M.Turner Dangerfield Riccardi
HF- Sharrock Ryan SJohnson
FF- GAblett jnr Gablett snr Varcoe
R- Farmer GHocking Goggin
i/c Brownless, Lindner, P Lynch, Burns,

Vinar- only player I've seen to rival Ben Graham's prodigious kicks
Scarlett- our Sideshow Bob
Bews-a superskilled bp/fp/rover
Marshall- a brilliant footballer in defence or midfield
Graham- the longest cnsistent kick we've seen in the AFL
Wojo- quickest of the quick, often the spark we needed
Turner- brilliant, quick, skilled winger/hff
Dangerfield-the best and most exciting player in the comp past 3 years.
Riccardi- silky skilled left foot winger
Sharrock- the epitome of a Cats player- played as skillfully as you'd ever see a HFF play
Billy- the best aerialist on a consistent basis
Dog- a freakishly skilled opportunist
GAJ- second best Cat I've ever seen
GAS- Best player I've ever seen- the TOTAL package
Varcoe-at his best, a very exciting player
Polly- created handball as an offensive weapon
Buddha- loved his ferocity at every contest
Billy Goggin- best exponent of the stab pass the game has seen
Billy Brownless- high marking, long kicking exciting player
Lindner- if not for GAS, would have been as exciting a player as we've seen
Lynchy- dodgy hammies aside, would have been a freak player
Ronny- bamboozled opponents, teammates and himself with his blind-turns, but when on, was hot.

Unlucky- Joel Selwood- see Buddha- just preferred Buddha's skills
Very unlucky- Sam Newman- ruckwork, or CHF- a gun player.

"Riccardi- silky skilled left foot winger" - we really need a player like Riccardi in our present team. Riccardi should be coaching at Geelong.

Loved Ronnie Burns! Fantastic player, so exciting to watch!

I'd have to fit Selwood + Bartel in somehow, but who to exclude?

The best calls of that great day were.... Travis Cloke has not touched the ball for 38 mins..... Yes that's a free kick any day of the week, this will bring Collingwood back we know how good they are at coming back.... If he kicks this they will be ?? points behind.... oh it is a point.

Priceless ATSAM!

tumblr_mn7gcbcXsQ1s4f4t0o1_400.gif

Fortunately, I didn't have to endure the stupid commentary! Did the commentators really expect Collingwood to make a big come-back + win? lol Do you remember who was commentating, ATSAM?
No I don't of the top of my head but will go back just for fun and listen hard. Did find on my recorded shows Footy Flashbacks shown this year and watched that. It was the 2007 prelim and The father of Jobe was commentating. It was just as bad they really wanted Collingwood to win but had to concede that Geelong was winning and did win.

Just came back to me Luke Darcy was one of them. It was he who was rubbishing Duncan- he is underdone, hasn't got the feel of the game and on and on til..... Oh yes that is a goal.
Just the start of the inane calling from him.

Lots to choose from here as I've been a Cats fan for nigh on 55 years :eek:

Bit of symmetry though as the most exciting was when I was 11 years old and happiest involved my son as an 11 year old
Most exciting - wet day at KP in the early 1960's - was sitting on the boundary when Polly slid into the fence where I was sitting , I managed to reach out and touch him as he got up and thus became a Cats fan for life
Happiest time - 2007 GF - being there with my 11 year old son and feeling that incredible drought breaking joy - he is also a Cats fan for life :)
Most confused - trying not to celebrate too hard in 2009GF whilst consoling my Saints supporting wife

No I don't of the top of my head but will go back just for fun and listen hard. Did find on my recorded shows Footy Flashbacks shown this year and watched that. It was the 2007 prelim and The father of Jobe was commentating. It was just as bad they really wanted Collingwood to win but had to concede that Geelong was winning and did win.

Just came back to me Luke Darcy was one of them. It was he who was rubbishing Duncan- he is underdone, hasn't got the feel of the game and on and on til..... Oh yes that is a goal.
Just the start of the inane calling from him.

What really annoys me is that every week, the team who wins + their players are the BEST in the competition! So you have 50% of teams, who are the best in the competition! Commentators' hyperbole is just excruciating!

Just loved the video on YouTube To David King from Geelong. King asked who would ever replace Mooney + the video had Tomahawk's 11GF highlights. Sadly that video has disappeared.

2007 for me. Enjoyed the 90s more than 2009 and 2011 as we had ablett snr running around.

Premierships are meaningless to me because they’re just a stat at the end of the day. Sure they’re nice but to me they’re just the cherry on top. I’d sacrifice one for 10 years in the top 4 straight (membership numbers rise = higher chance of profit = guaranteed chance of stadium expansion = finals at home). Like in soccer I don’t care if Chelsea takes home the title annually I just want them in the top 4 and I’m content. I prefer individual days so in 2011 when we flogged Melbourne by nearly 200 points.

You must love Chris Scott then.

Back