Opinion Most frustrating time as a Geelong supporter

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We played good footy then. Winning back then meant something to players.

Yeah that's a good point I guess. The players would be absolutely gutted they never won one- but we still have toooooonnes of great memories. Ablett's 100 goals would be up there, his marks, bags of goals.. the way he would tear oppositions apart- hello Richmond :)

And all the other great players too...

Lol I still remember once they were trolling on the radio- in 1991? Said Gary was back at the club. We had literally just driven past KP, Mum started yelling at Dad to turn the car around. But they were kidding :D

He came back later tho.

In the last six seasons I've had the tentative "expectation" of a premiership exactly once, in 2013. .
That was the one that got away. If we beat Freo at home, we may have just gone on to beat HFC in a grand final. (Would have been on opposite sides of the draw). Oh, how sweet. Joel ducks into a premiership medal as captain...... What could have been.

The 2006 season was pretty disappointing. After all the losing GFs throughout the 90s, the 97 semi, then seeing us in 2003,2004 building a team I thought would compete, the absolute awful feeling of the 2005 swans final and to start the 2006 season off so well then watching it all fall apart AGAIN I actually believed I would never see Geelong win a flag. I remember clearly thinking it's just not going to happen ever.

That was the one that got away. If we beat Freo at home, we may have just gone on to beat HFC in a grand final. (Would have been on opposite sides of the draw). Oh, how sweet. Joel ducks into a premiership medal as captain...... What could have been.

I thought we were cooked when Dawson Simpson went down in the saints game. But yeah losing that QF at home was unforgivable. To this day is still filthy at Scott for starting Chappy as the sub.

I think the last 6 years of performances from Geelong has made me appreciate our premiership team a lot more. They were a really good footy team. :( Feeling really empty at the moment. Flat, like there's no point following the game in the near future.

As a young tacker the late 60's were disappointing, we lost the 67 GF and were a genuine contender the next few years but couldn't make it. The 63' side was so good it should have won at least one more flag.

The 70's were far more frustrating as we couldn't even make the finals most years. Then 80 and 81 came about and we finished minor premiers both years and lost the Prelims both years.

We were never quite good enough 89-95, although we probably could have won in 93 if we had made the finals. It seemed that luck was always against us. The same bad luck happened in 97, finishing higher but having to play North with a rampant Carey on their home ground on a late Sunday night, in front of their home crowd saw us smashed. Then the appalling decision against Colbert contributed to a loss in Adelaide. We couldn't take a trick.

To win a flag requires a hell of a lot of things to go right. Must have excellent administration to support the players, coaches and other staff, that finally happened after Costa brought Cook into the GFC.

Must have decent players and an excellent coach. With some of the younger supporters, especially certain names who appear so often here, Bomber Thomson would have been abused and sledged daily during the period 2000-06. The combination of factors in 07 unleashed one of the greatest teams in history. With Balme taking the brunt of the media responsibilities from Bomber and a team where almost every player stepped into career best form and a coach able to build upon the camaraderie of the players and create a team plan that was unstoppable, combined with excellent support coaches and the rewards of Wells brilliant recruiting we won two premierships and then followed up with another under rookie coach Scott.

It is difficult to assess how correct decisions regarding players are, there are clearly mistakes and successes. The forced retirement or de-listing of champions had to occur to prevent the ageing process and a possible collapse down the ladder. Many of those players did well at other clubs, but we have not been embarrassed yet. Younger players traded or cut have rarely gone on to make fools of Scott/Wells decisions, although Caddy has done well at Richmond, the value of that trade is yet to be seen.

The current frustrations can so easily turn around, one only need look at the situation at Richmond who after a reasonable season are playing finals with a momentum similar to the Bulldogs last year. It is hard not to get impatient with players like Murdoch, Motlop, CGuthrie or Blicavs after they play a series of mediocre games, and many of us call for their heads.

Of course the simpletons simply call for Scott's head without the slightest acknowledgement that he has done everything asked of him, won a premiership, rebuilt the side and remained competitive and in contention. The current team is good, talent wise, but depth is a problem and a bunch of younger players need more games. However the mental deficiencies in maintaining momentum, especially after a bye and being able to influence control over a game even when under the pump are not good enough. Scott has a lot of work to do.

As a young tacker the late 60's were disappointing, we lost the 67 GF and were a genuine contender the next few years but couldn't make it. The 63' side was so good it should have won at least one more flag.

Yeah my mum says the same. Still filthy on 67.. or 69? Idk.. one of those.

Yeah my mum says the same. Still filthy on 67.. or 69? Idk.. one of those.
After just getting over the line in 67' (dubiously) the Tigers smashed us in the 69' Prelim, some of the old guys like me haven't forgotten that, hence the utter delight we have had in the many thrashings we have given them since. 1995 Prelim made up for some of it. 2017 now requires revenge:mad:

On a side note: I feel as though we are the most hated club right now, for no logical or good reason, and that makes things a bit more frustrating. I think it's a mixture of jealousy and tall-poppy syndrome, but it's actually kind of annoying. The bias against us from opposition supporters is amazing. Don't know if it's just trolling or these people actually believe what they write/say about us.

I don't think it's hatred. It's not tall-poppy syndrome - we haven't won a flag in six years now. I think there is a perception that some Geelong fans have been pretty ungracious this finals series, and are complaining a lot about trivial things - particularly with the crowd from the Richmond game. I think Selwood's constant looking at the umpires for frees doesn't help, and I think there's a big perception with Dangerfield that it's all about him. Scott can come across as pretty arrogant and condescending too.

As always, we see our the club as noble, and valiant, and fair. Other clubs are hypocrites and cheats. In reality all clubs are probably a bit of each.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the last 6 years of performances from Geelong has made me appreciate our premiership team a lot more. They were a really good footy team. :( Feeling really empty at the moment. Flat, like there's no point following the game in the near future.
The game itself has turned to s**t. All the rule changes, MRP, defensive gameplans, media, ect. It's shocking at times. I'll always love the club though.

Thanks for all the honest replies. Just makes me realise that it will always be a roller-coaster of ups and downs forever, so enjoy the good times.

We used to hate losing. Now it's becoming a habit to the players. Smith, Henderson and Tuohy all came from clubs that got used to losing.
Those blokes are much hungrier than at least 12 blokes I can name off the top of my head so that blows that theory out of the water

We used to hate losing. Now it's becoming a habit to the players. Smith, Henderson and Tuohy all came from clubs that got used to losing.
We have literally gone 34-1-14 over that time. We win more than twice as much as we lose. I don't think that the issue is cultural, I think it's just depth.

When Gary Ayres and Leigh Colbert left all hope was gone and the club could've disappeared. I remember hearing talk of the club moving to Melbourne. Abysmal times. Today, whilst frustrating, ain't got nothing on then.
We did effectively swap them for Bomber, Mooney and Enright - worked out a little better than I thought it would, in retrospect ;)

For me it would easily be from 81-88.

After getting screwed over in the 81 PF and falling away in 82-83, the arrival of two all time greats at the club (and Jacko), heralded a new hope for 84. Yet that year and 85 were eerily similar. Wins against some good teams were interspersed with inexplicable losses and both years contrived to finish sixth.

After losing Williams, Toohey and Bolton to Sydney, 86 was the worst year the club has had in my time, only narrowly avoiding the spoon. In 87, we looked a genuine finals chance til literally the last kick of the year. Sixth again, with two losses to the Bears proving costly.

1988 we never really got going, had some major injury concerns, and almost lost Snr.

Just when I had started to think I'd never see us play a final, let alone win a flag, 1989 happened.

The next few years had their share of heartbreak, but considering what I'd thought at the end of 88, I was still grateful to have seen some of the most exhilarating footy ever played.

As individual years, I'd say 1987, 1993, 2006, the last game of 2008 and 2013 have been the most frustrating.

I can handle losses like the Adelaide prelim, what frustrated me was the Richmond game where it didn't look like we played to win. So long as everything is firing as best it can I don't care how good/bad/mediocre we are.

It’s certainly frustrating to miss out on a chance to win a flag. But until 2007 I thought I’d never see Geelong win a flag. This to me is easily the best time to be a Geelong fan.
The club is in a great position with an amazing new stadium. The people on and off the field are great representatives of the clubs values.
The team plays finals almost every year going very deep. It is a destination club this is the same club that up until Ottens no one would come to.

Mostly though with the club having won 3 recent flags. There is a relief that they can win one. And it means I can just enjoy following the club without the pressure of thinking they’ll never get to win a flag.

After just getting over the line in 67' (dubiously) the Tigers smashed us in the 69' Prelim, some of the old guys like me haven't forgotten that, hence the utter delight we have had in the many thrashings we have given them since. 1995 Prelim made up for some of it. 2017 now requires revenge:mad:

Steady ...Im sure you agree that to a certain degree revenge is fools gold ... its like playing golf and having a triple boggy on the first , then having 17 good to great holes ..and just fall short of your best score. The 17 doesn't make up for the first... in fact..it still annoys that the if only if had a better 1st the score would be better.
Point is its done and no matter what happens that score is on the board. Did 95 make up for 69? I have a cousin that went to 69 as a kid and from then on followed Rich. Did the thrashing they gave is in 17 make up for all those year of pain the Tigers had? Did the 10 in a row for us V the Hawks square it for 08? I do agree the next time we play Rich we need to reverse the result..but more because I do not want to start a trend going their way. Everytime we are beaten by anyone.. we should do our best to reverse it the next outing.

In like with the OP ... being beaten by Haw in so many finals was certainly frustrating.

The early years when i was a kid and we were useless was par for the course, i was just happy to go to the footy. The real frustration began for me in 1989 -97 . We had a great team, but just fell short of being the best. Those GF losses were traumatising as a fan..
2008 is the worst year of my Geelong supporting life.
The last six years are now rivaling 89-97, i'm noticing a lot of the similar stories that used to haunt Geelong resurfacing again, i wasn't really surprised by Kent Kingsley's comments about player dissent. True or not it's not good after all the great work Brian Cook and Frank Costa put into the club in order to make them a destination.. If Jake Stringer read Kingsley's rant he would run far and fast from Geelong and nominate Essendon tomorrow. Is the club a basket case? Do players dislike each other? Caddy tipped a bucket on them also yesterday. Something's up and it it is becoming very frustrating again. I don't feel right about them either?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back