Certified Legendary Thread My Sharona! (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official Government Information about COVID-19
Contact the National Coronavirus Information Hotline on 1800 020 080 for information about COVID-19.

Stay informed. Download the official government “Coronavirus Australia” app in the Apple App Store or Google Play,
or join our WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.

If you live in the Adelaide metropolitan area and would like to get checked out, this is how get drive-thru testing at the Repat:

1584943828763.png

the Official Sources, Do You Have The Symptoms?, Tips and Statistics are below

Official Sources, Do you have Symptoms?, Tips, Statistics

Environmental Cleaning & Disinfection Principles
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-and-disinfection-principles-for-covid-19.pdf

SA Health:

Australian Federal Govt:

World Health Organisation:

Smart Traveller: (thanks Mutineer )

Do you have the symptoms?
(thanks again to Mutineer )

1584505884236.png

Tips

Home Isolation Advice:

What to do if you’re feeling unwell

If you are severely unwell, such as having difficulty breathing, call 000 (Triple Zero).

If you have travelled anywhere overseas in the past 14 days and have COVID-19 symptoms, seek testing at a COVID-19 clinic or contact your GP (advise your GP of your travel history) and isolate yourself.

If you have NOT travelled overseas recently, but are feeling unwell, visit your usual health care provider. Avoid contact with others if you are unwell.

Mental health in the age of coronavirus

Woolworths to introduce a dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and people with disability.

Keeping Yourself And Your Things Germ Free

Cleaning Your Phone

Optus Mobile giving away data due to Covid-19

To play our part in supporting your access needs, we are giving all eligible mobile subscribers a one off 20GB of free extra data which can be activated within My Optus app anytime during the month of April and valid for 30 days from activation. For our eligible prepaid customers, we will also be offering 10GB of free extra data when you top up for more than $40 during the month of April.

We'll have more details about these extra data offers available soon at optus.com.au/COVID19-support.

Statistics

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)

Stay safe and look after each other (from a safe distance)
Dear posters: unsubstantiated advice will be deleted. We understand you want to help, but #fakenews blah blah blah we're not allowing any disinformation. Got some great advice about washing your hands whilst dancing like David Byrne in Once In A Lifetime helps kill the virus? That's fantastic, provide a link to a reputable source.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it would have been a disaster. A lot of people only started paying attention when the rules were being enforced.

You'd still have some people not doing the right thing but we had that anyway.

It would have greatly depended on the messaging though. Mixed messaging and unclear/unfamiliar wording wouldn't have worked
I think you’re grossly underestimating the affect of a PM of a modern democratic society giving 24 hours notice of a country completely locking down backed by police enforcement

The logistics of that would be incredibly complex.

The panic would be orders of magnitude greater than anything we’d ever have experienced.

No, graduated response was best. In the end we knew what was coming but having a few weeks to digest it was important.

Equally you grossly over estimate the recalcitrants - a few hundred backpackers on a beach is hardly the whole country.

Just look at the traffic analysis above your post clearly shows that people did on the whole immediately take heed actually and in increasing amounts as the extra restrictions were applied. The so called idiots were far and few between and on the whole, most did the right thing after a few days. Even the Bondi incident was understandable this has been a bizarre handbreak on humanity some people just do stuff differently.

That's not what the traffic data shows so I'm not sure where you are getting that from.

The federal government first imposed restrictions on March 13 (the ban on large non-essential outdoor gatherings) while advising people social distance and by March 20 this only had a minor impact on the traffic data.

1586047630428.png
1586047635801.png

The government then announced the 4 square meter rule on March 21 and then on March 27 is when the 2 person gathering rule began.

So the traffic data shows that people have been responding exactly to government rules but doing no more than is required. During the period before the lockdown when the government was "advising" people social distance and stay at home, people weren't really doing that, and the traffic data shows that.

And that was basically my point. Plenty of people haven't been following "advice", only the actual rules and laws.

I think all of us mere mortals grossly underestimate the gravity of what’s going on here.

My experience is that those screaming for a lockdown are generally people least affected - and I’m guilty of that myself.

The interests of all Australians have to be balanced and with every stroke of the pen as this has evolved, someone loses a livelihood.

I think also the lockdown screamers forget to factor in the whole concept of social order. What we’ve seen with a graduated process is relative calm and acceptance. Can you imagine if the PM just announced ever single measure in one presser? There would be every chance of total civil disobedience. The inertia effect of a whole country and economy coming to a screeching halt could have been even more devastating that it already is.

I think in hindsight the piecemeal way it’s been managed has got the majority of the public onside and accepting as we’ve been able to prepare ourselves.

As EC correctly notes it’s estimated that there is at least a 2 week lag between decision and effect, so what we have now is a cumulative effect from all past decisions. Has to be a tick.

Spot on.

Apart from schools being open, I can't really fault the last fortnight of decisions from the feds and SA state government. The economic assistance in particular has been spot on.

There's a long way to go. Decisions being made TODAY by individuals, not the government, will determine how bad it gets. The talk of "numbers looking good" concerns me, because people will think we're all good now and revert back.

That's not what the traffic data shows so I'm not sure where you are getting that from.

The federal government first imposed restrictions on March 13 (the ban on large non-essential outdoor gatherings) while advising people social distance and by March 20 this only had a minor impact on the traffic data.

View attachment 852602
View attachment 852603

The government then announced the 4 square meter rule on March 21 and then on March 27 is when the 2 person gathering rule began.

So the traffic data shows that people have been responding exactly to government rules but doing no more than is required. During the period before the lockdown when the government was "advising" people social distance and stay at home, people weren't really doing that, and the traffic data shows that.

And that was basically my point. Plenty of people haven't been following "advice", only the actual rules and laws.
I’m really not sure what your point is. As the Govt moved each time, either they or the states legislated/regulated.

They didn’t recommend people stop coming from China - they stopped them.

They didn’t recommend bars close, they closed them.

There was lots going on like employers organising people to work from home. Once we had the rolling messages it was very clear where we’d eventually end up, so people could plan a bit better.

What do you think the supermarkets would have looked like with a 24 hour lockdown notice?

Spot on.

Apart from schools being open, I can't really fault the last fortnight of decisions from the feds and SA state government. The economic assistance in particular has been spot on.

There's a long way to go. Decisions being made TODAY by individuals, not the government, will determine how bad it gets. The talk of "numbers looking good" concerns me, because people will think we're all good now and revert back.

Yep.. the last fortnight’s decision making has been spot on... and things are looking pretty good. But its no time to get comfortable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re grossly underestimating the affect of a PM of a modern democratic society giving 24 hours notice of a country completely locking down backed by police enforcement

The logistics of that would be incredibly complex.

The panic would be orders of magnitude greater than anything we’d ever have experienced.

No, graduated response was best. In the end we knew what was coming but having a few weeks to digest it was important.

Equally you grossly over estimate the recalcitrants - a few hundred backpackers on a beach is hardly the whole country.

It depends at what point we would be implementing the lockdown. If it was in February when people weren't even sure what the virus was, then yes, there would have been mass panic. If it was in the middle of March when the first restrictions were enacted, when people were already working from home and people were already panic buying, different story. I'm thinking more the mid-March timeline, not earlier, when it obviously wouldn't have worked.

There really haven't been that many rules to implement:
  1. Do not get within 1.5m of another person
  2. Do not have a gathering with more than 2 people
  3. If you are entering Australia from another country, you will have to isolate for 14 days
  4. Several business categories (pubs, restaurants, cafes, etc) must close
Some of these rules were already implemented overnight with no notice, such as businesses being forced to close. I think it's reasonable that all of the above restrictions - which are the current restrictions - could have been implemented at the same time with CLEAR messaging.

You wouldn't start handing out fines straight away but set the ground rules. No messing about with constant changes to the rules, no mixed messages from states and federal governments. A small set of concise rules to follow implemented quickly. Then set about increasing enforcement when people don't follow it.

The piecemeal way we did it presented its own set of challenges. The rules were constantly changing and people were confused as to what the current rules were. What changed overnight from the constant updates? The battles between the state and federal responses created more mixed messaging, such as Victoria shutting down non-essential businesses only to backtrack the next day to be in line with the federal government. All the while we are letting visitors infect the country and not stopping community spread.

It's hard to say how it would have gone but I don't think it would have been the mass panic disaster you suggested.

I’m really not sure what your point is. As the Govt moved each time, either they or the states legislated/regulated.

They didn’t recommend people stop coming from China - they stopped them.

They didn’t recommend bars close, they closed them.

There was lots going on like employers organising people to work from home. Once we had the rolling messages it was very clear where we’d eventually end up, so people could plan a bit better.

What do you think the supermarkets would have looked like with a 24 hour lockdown notice?

My original point was that: "People basically did jack s**t while the government was still "advising" people to stay at home. People only started paying attention when the actual lockdown was implemented, but even that wasn't enough, as people still flocked to beaches and so on."

Someone pointed out that the traffic analysis shows that people "immediately" took action to this advise which isn't true. People have gradually responded to actual rules, they haven't done so immediately and didn't follow the initial "advise" to stay home.

My point is that it's only government rules and restrictions that have made a difference. The government's initial plan to advise and encourage people into doing the right thing while setting a few minor restrictions (so I'm talking mid-March and before) was ineffective in terms of getting people to stay at home.

I've been pretty happy with the government's response to the crises. They started poorly but they've got their s**t together now.

It's thinking about the long term effect on our economy that's really keeping me up that night. We're in for a really hard decade. The country that comes out the other side of this thing could be very different.

Bloody hell how long is this debating going to go on and on about the one point, point made neither side will see the others,typical political debate,this is why I don’t get into political debate, plus not being smart enough
You aren't obligated to post here or read the thread.

I've been pretty happy with the government's response to the crises. They started poorly but they've got their s**t together now.

It's thinking about the long term effect on our economy that's really keeping me up that night. We're in for a really hard decade. The country that comes out the other side of this thing could be very different.

You aren't obligated to post here or read the thread.
I’m here to read Covid 19

Dont care about colour or race here, if you going to be a f**kwit while shopping, policies and laws need to be introduced. These hopefully new policies and laws if introtuduced will make zero difference to 99% of Australians doing the right thing. The toilet paper fiasco has led to problems for all Australians and our visitors.
It’s all good to introduce new laws and policies... but who’s gonna police them?.. the supermarkets aren’t exactly going to pay for security guards to stop people from buying their products now are they!... not exactly a great business model if you get what I mean.. these big supermarkets really don’t care at the end of the day. They get their cut of the whole deal so they have no interest in really policing it..

so do we have to assign hundreds and hundreds of police officers to patrol supermarkets around the country ?.. sounds like a massive cost to the taxpayer over a bit of baby formula..

Perhaps a better, more feasible approach would be to get state departments of human services/child development to set up some sort of registration system where parents can register their babies.

Parents then get vouchers for baby formula that they can then go to their local Coles/Woolies/etc who then set aside the required amount for them on a regular basis. Governments could even subsidise formula a bit for parents who are not well off.

This ensures parents can get the needed baby formula and formula manufacturers/supermarkets can sell the rest to a willing market - everyone gets to be happy.

Would be a bit of effort to set up but should solve the problem of scarce baby formula once and for all. I wonder if this has been thought about before?

The timeline as set out by the AHPPC [Australian Health Protection Principal Committee] which is made up of all State and Territories Chief Medical Officers and chaired by the Federal Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy is the key body advising the National Cabinet on all health matters pertaining to the Covid-19 virus. The National Cabinet is made up of all State and Territory Premiers and Chief Ministers and chaired by the Prime Minister.

The AHPPC released their 1st public statement re Covid-19 on the 29th January 2020.

Statements
Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I’m here to read Covid 19
Who's stopping you? Just don't read or respond to the political stuff. It's not reasonable to ask others to completely divorce politics from covid-19 though. The way government's around the world respond to the virus is coloured by their politics. It's relevant to the discussion.

Who's stopping you? Just don't read or respond to the political stuff. It's not reasonable to ask others to completely divorce politics from covid-19 though. The way government's around the world respond to the virus is coloured by their politics. It's relevant to the discussion.
The political theme seems to take the upper hand,

I think all of us mere mortals grossly underestimate the gravity of what’s going on here.

My experience is that those screaming for a lockdown are generally people least affected - and I’m guilty of that myself.

The interests of all Australians have to be balanced and with every stroke of the pen as this has evolved, someone loses a livelihood.

I think also the lockdown screamers forget to factor in the whole concept of social order. What we’ve seen with a graduated process is relative calm and acceptance. Can you imagine if the PM just announced ever single measure in one presser? There would be every chance of total civil disobedience. The inertia effect of a whole country and economy coming to a screeching halt could have been even more devastating that it already is.

I think in hindsight the piecemeal way it’s been managed has got the majority of the public onside and accepting as we’ve been able to prepare ourselves.

As EC correctly notes it’s estimated that there is at least a 2 week lag between decision and effect, so what we have now is a cumulative effect from all past decisions. Has to be a tick.

Seriously, we could have locked out borders to Italy, Iran and USA well before we did.

I understand that is just one decision but it would have significantly reduced us to this pandemic.

Now it is incumbent on the PM to disclose the actual projections (which he won’t at this point) because at some point people are going to become very restless especially if we are to continue this for the next 6 months - people just won’t cop it if they can’t see and end result and with just the “stay at home exercise” commentary for the next 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back